2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield noise....after new ws install

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Windshield noise....after new ws install

So some of you now that I was getting a new ws put in after I got a huge scratch in it from my wiper blade. Well I got it put in today (same as the old old as numbers all match and has f150 up on top)

But now I have a constant rubbing/popping/ creaking noise coming from all the way across the whole dash were the ws ends on the bottom. I thought it could be from the outside so I took the wipers off and cowling to see if that was it but its not. I also cant see any thing touching the ws from the inside either.....got to be the new ws touching/ rubbing on something.

So I called them up and told them this and he has never heard of that before
(I guess I'm the lucky winner....first guy out of 2 mil people...really?). But he said give it 24hrs for the glue to cure fully and see if it still makes the noise. He also said that there are two platic clips that hold the ws in place at the bottom and that some times they can rub and make noise and they sometimes cut them out?!? The one clip on the drivers side is kind of pushed under the ws compared the the pass. side.

I took some pictures of what he was talking about.

It is just my kind of luck with this kind of *****!

I guess it could also be making from the lower sides but it really sounds all the way across the bottom

You guys have any suggestions at this point?

I will see if its gone in the morning (highly dought it) or I will be going back....

here are some pics

Any help at this point is appreciated.

Thanks guys

Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it squeek when the cowl is on? The cowl on these trucks is not the greatest of parts and when it is wedged in there real tight it can rub on the window and squeak. Just a thought
~jstnromero

Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM
bullredguy
Junior User
first of all take a look across the top and see if the top of the glass is in proper line up with the upper roof line
2nd he was right on the 24 hrs of cure time
tape down the a pillar mldgs drive it and see if the noise is there,
the lower glass blocks that adjust the glass height are one area that dodge has all other manufacturers covers the part that touches the glass is bio-degradable, after a few contacts with water the upper half that actually contacts the glass will disintegrate and eliminates a potential stress point,
the other thing that comes to mind and is so important is the actual height of the glass as it relates to the body of the truck too many times i have seen technicians push the glass down to make sure of full contact with the adhesive and its not properly insulates from various trim pieces or the body it self

Old 12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

When I first read this post my friend, who owns a glass installation facility, was here with me. He agreed that it could take up to 48 hrs. to cure, but wondered if the glass was under the clips. Never heard of removing them; just has had to re-seat the glass on one or two vehicles. If it is not seated correctly and secured with the clip, the glass could twist when you go over rough area and crack. Make sure you take it back asap if it still does this after the 48 hr. cure period. Keep us posted on your progress as my friend wants me to let him know.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jstnromero
does it squeek when the cowl is on? The cowl on these trucks is not the greatest of parts and when it is wedged in there real tight it can rub on the window and squeak. Just a thought
~jstnromero

Yes, I thought it was the cowling so that's why I took it off but it still makes the noise.

Originally Posted by bullredguy
first of all take a look across the top and see if the top of the glass is in proper line up with the upper roof line
2nd he was right on the 24 hrs of cure time
tape down the a pillar mldgs drive it and see if the noise is there,
the lower glass blocks that adjust the glass height are one area that dodge has all other manufacturers covers the part that touches the glass is bio-degradable, after a few contacts with water the upper half that actually contacts the glass will disintegrate and eliminates a potential stress point,
the other thing that comes to mind and is so important is the actual height of the glass as it relates to the body of the truck too many times i have seen technicians push the glass down to make sure of full contact with the adhesive and its not properly insulates from various trim pieces or the body it self

I taped down the edges and it still makes the noise....Took a look at the top of the glass and everything looks like it is lined up good..

Originally Posted by Buck 1
When I first read this post my friend, who owns a glass installation facility, was here with me. He agreed that it could take up to 48 hrs. to cure, but wondered if the glass was under the clips. Never heard of removing them; just has had to re-seat the glass on one or two vehicles. If it is not seated correctly and secured with the clip, the glass could twist when you go over rough area and crack. Make sure you take it back asap if it still does this after the 48 hr. cure period. Keep us posted on your progress as my friend wants me to let him know.

The glass only looks like it is top of half of the driver side clip in the second pic.

Could the glass move enough to make noise yet not crack?

Here is what happen to day

So I took it for a drive this morning and it still makes the noise......It happens not really when I hit any bumps but just from any little unevenness in the road way.....(any little bit of flexing of the cab).

Temp is about 15f

So I took it up there and I got " oh, give it till Monday because of the cold it can take a little while longer for the glue to set up. Some times they can do this." This was from a different person..so it goes from never heard of that before to they can do this.....yea sure WTF!?!...

I said I talked to sir last night and he said give it till morning, 24hrs and see what it does.

I will see what the weekend brings and if it is still doing it I will be taking it back on Monday.

Btw......I'm not going to name names right now but this is a VERY large country wide glass replacement center

I just hate getting the run around..........I told the lady in a polite way I am no glass expert but nor am I an idiot.....That this is unacceptable and she insured they will take of it.

thanks everyone for the help insight..

will keep you updated!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 AM
bullredguy
Junior User
not that it matters to me at all but if your glass was replaced by your insurance company i would give them a heads up also, and one other item if your in that cold of a climate we have available adhesives that are capable of curing faster than what would normally say be used in the winter. here in Tennessee i have 2 products i use 1 i use for any job that will cure on it own which varies mostly depending on humidity and we all know from the science guy that cold air hold less moisture the other uses a catalyst to boost the cure time its a bit more pricey but allows for faster drive away times in the winter after looking at your pics of the lower supports i really don't see anything out of line ford has used that style and others very similar for many years and they allow the glass adjusted as needed also for what its worth i hope there was not any small glass fragments left under there when they applied they adhesive

Old 12-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bullredguy
not that it matters to me at all but if your glass was replaced by your insurance company i would give them a heads up also, and one other item if your in that cold of a climate we have available adhesives that are capable of curing faster than what would normally say be used in the winter. here in Tennessee i have 2 products i use 1 i use for any job that will cure on it own which varies mostly depending on humidity and we all know from the science guy that cold air hold less moisture the other uses a catalyst to boost the cure time its a bit more pricey but allows for faster drive away times in the winter after looking at your pics of the lower supports i really don't see anything out of line ford has used that style and others very similar for many years and they allow the glass adjusted as needed also for what its worth i hope there was not any small glass fragments left under there when they applied they adhesive

Thanks for the info

I will ask them about the different types of adhesives and the possibility of the glass fragments being underneath. It is going through the insurance so if the noise is still there Monday and nothing gets done I will be giving them a phone call also.

Thanks again

Josh