Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Thoughts on going EFI

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thoughts on going EFI

This is something I`ve been thinking about since I bought my Bronco. It`s an 84 with the much outdated and barely functional EEC-IV computor controlled carb and ignition. I plan on doing a duraspark conversion on it as is sure needs it, but have been wondering,"what if.." A recent issue of hotrod magazine had a multi page article about EFI for any vehicle, or any engine and listed quite a few companies that have been making practically bolt on and go EFI systems for a while now. I guess that`s the one major complaint I have with my bronc is that it`s carbed and will never perform off road like an injected rig. I do want to go to the rockies with it one day. And the carb is gonna limit how it does off road, off camber and at higher altitude. It`s only a 2.8 V6 and doesn`t need a lot of fancy high performance stuff on it,as it`s a durable design. Getting it to breath in certain situations is the trick. According to the things I`ve been looking at, I think it can be done. There is an article at the rangerstation about adapting a ford 3.8 EFI to work on a 2.8 but I`d rather have something new and all the guesswork sorted out. Howell fuel injection has been building EFI kits for jeeps, streetrods and other vehicles not factory equipped. They use GM throttlebody style injection. This could be made to fit the 2.8 intake which is pretty much the same as a holley carb 2bbl I believe. My headers even have an O2 sensor port already there. Once the original computor is removed, the new one should fit in it`s place. An electric fuel pump is an easy install and the vapor return line from the original carb could be used as a fuel return for the injection. So what do you think guys and girls? Love to hear your thoughts and opinions..

Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Well, I am all for it any way, but I don't know your ability to turn a wrench, and wire things up, so don't take my advice.
Sounds like a good plan, maybe you should go by Tony's and Ditto what Rollie did to MD. then you got FI, and plenty of power.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I saw the same article in Hotrod. The only issue for a poor boy like me is most of those units are pretty costly. EFI, seems to be the way to go in the long run and is probably especially important for an off road vehicle, although I've not had many problems with the carb in the 78 Bronco. I know injection would be more reliable but the cost has been right for what it has.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say do it. Not sure how good the aftermarket kits are. But if you are going to off road it, EFI is the way to go!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Propane! No puter needed. Will run at any angle. Costs less than EFI. Fuel used ta be a lot less $$'s.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
if you have the bucks EFI is the way to go.... most of the time it is cheaper to just get the engine you want.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:23 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
You could always put a small block chevy in it, plenty of options for fuel injection there (gets ready for warfare)

Old 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
I was reading an article the other day about someone looking to put a Buick 3800 v6 in a BII as they were saying they seem to have quite a bit of torque, but I don't know how much fab work you would have to do to make it work. Can't find the artcle now, but will keep looking.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
forget the buick v6, get the pontiac v6. they have some that are supercharged, like the bonneville?

Matt

Old 12-05-2008, 07:01 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forget the GM stuff. 5.0 or 4.0!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
nah.. even better yet, Go Powerstroked!!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The Ford 3.8 used the C-5 tranny same as Ken has now. Just need the correct bell housing. he Ford 3.8 was carbed, injected and supercharged.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3 out of a Turbo coupe will scream

Old 12-06-2008, 09:58 AM
1967 Turbo 6.9
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just remember Your talking about going way away from home with this so You need to be able to walk in to Dead Zone and get a part to make it run again. Aftermarket kits are fine as long as it doesn't die up on a mountain only to find out the part will take three weeks to ship. You might think about a little TB4 Cummins Diesel.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
stevenn1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EFI positives/negatives

EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) is really a generic term for many different systems like throttle body fuel injection, multi-point fuel injection, central port fuel injection, and so on.

POSITIVES:
Makes an engine more reliable (winter and summer)
Engine runs more smother
More power - rapid throttle response (then a 2 bbl & stock 4 bbl carbs)
Better fuel economy
Better for less carbon build-up in the cylinders
Perfect air/fuel mixture - wont run too lean or too rich
Cleaner emissions
Easier starting
Prevent the "cold blooded" engine problem (engines that keep dying when idling or put into gear when cold)
Helps prevent engine knock - adjusts for different octane of fuels

NEGATIVES:
Mostly initial cost & install;
Add an Exhaust Gas "Oxygen Sensor"
Add electric fuel pump (mechanical pumps do not produce enough PSI)
Add Fuel Pressure Regulator (proper PSI needs to be consistant)
Add MAF/MAP sensor
Add Crank/Cam Position sensor
Add throttle position sensor
ECM - computer
Wiring
Fuel rail (depending on system) & injectors

Quick Reply: Thoughts on going EFI