2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Lariat stick shift gear indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Drive-By
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Lariat stick shift gear indicator light

Have a '04 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 automatic with stick shift that the gear indicator bulb went out and needs replacing.
I looked inside the center console thinking I could access there but didn't see
anything I could pry off to gain entry, anyone here replace this bulb?...hate to take it to repair shop for something this minor but would be nice to see what gear I'm in at night.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Drive-By
New User
Oh well....guess no ones had to access this area under the stick shift and change this bulb out.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Its actually pretty easy well really easy. First the shroud that surronds the shifter and cup holders comes off. Look by your leg when you are sitting down. The console is two pieces. My fx4 has a silver top shroud and the rest of it is grey (the part that connects it to the floor if that makes sense). Well take a screwdriver and carefully pry the two apart it will slid over the shifter. Once its off look to the left off the shifter there is a plastic bracket with the bulb in it. Twist it carefully it will come out. To take the bulb out you might need to take some plyers and carefully pull on it. The bulb is the same as the one as the one you use for your license plate. Its really easy to use. Sorry that its not the best way of explaining its kinda hard to explain. Any other questions just ask.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Drive-By
New User
Thanks man....I get the 2 big plastic halves coming a part, would the chrome plate surrounding the shifter at the bottom just pop off with a flat head screw driver also?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
the chrome plate surronding the shifter does come off. Just use your keys or a screw driver like you said and pop it off. Not that hard to do. If you want pics I will post them

Old 12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Drive-By
New User
Originally Posted by Still Smoking
the chrome plate surronding the shifter doesnt come off. But the piece with the cup holders does I will get some pictures really quick to help explain it.
So the top piece (the cup holders) doesn't need to slide over the stick shift you just rotate it out of the way once separated to gain access?

Sorry, I'm not a total noob, just don't want to damage my interior with pulling on pieces that don't come apart...

Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
O its ok. Ya the part with the cup holders comes up over the shifter and you can just set it on the seat. The chrome shroud you have to remove to clips. One on each side of the shifter. Use your key or screw driver to just pop it off the clips off. The chrome part will not come off all the way just pick it up and turn it and let it rest on the shifter. From there you can you can pull the bulb out. Im not at home right now probably wont be home for a few hours. I will post the pics when I get back unless you figured it out. I would post them now but dont remeber my photobucket acount information since its saved on my computer.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Drive-By
New User
Originally Posted by Still Smoking
O its ok. Ya the part with the cup holders comes up over the shifter and you can just set it on the seat. The chrome shroud you have to remove to clips. One on each side of the shifter. Use your key or screw driver to just pop it off the clips off. The chrome part will not come off all the way just pick it up and turn it and let it rest on the shifter. From there you can you can pull the bulb out. Im not at home right now probably wont be home for a few hours. I will post the pics when I get back unless you figured it out. I would post them now but dont remeber my photobucket acount information since its saved on my computer.
Don't worry about the pic's, I think I'm there, and thanks, I really appreciated the help.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
yup no problem sorry its kinda confussing. I dont know how else to explain it. I was in your spot I asked and no one told me so I figured it out and I would gladly help someone out