2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F150 4x4 not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Let us know how it all works out!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
06supercrew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats why we have great guys like you, to keep us straight. Thanks for the correct information.
ck

Old 12-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Piercepierce69
Thanks Crazy, I will definetly look into that. I cant recall what my waranty is but i hope you are right.
06 model trucks built after July 2006 have the 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Ford "gave" it to us...but in most cases didn't tell anybody.

here ya go Crazy

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-question.html

some jerkwad on the forum here thought it would be funny to leave me neg feedback over that thread.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
yeah, wasn't totally sure when they started that warranty, I thought it was '06.

It's kind of funny, the reason I knew Ford didn't use a traditional floor-shifting t-case was because of my '03. I swore up and down that I did NOT want an electronically shifting 4x4, because I was afraid it wouldn't work when I needed it. So I bought my '03, and quickly realized that that lever wasn't anything more than a really, really big electrical switch, with the exception of 4lo. On a few occasions, I "shifted" it out of 4hi, to have the driveline bind when I turned the wheel, which led me to FTE...

Old 05-30-2009, 05:00 PM
braggon
New User
Anyone still there?

I have an 06' XLT scab that is having the same problem, the shift on the fly **** doesn't do anything and the dash lights don't come on. I followed the vacuum lines to the solenoid behind the battery.

With the truck running I can rotate the front axles no matter where the switch is set to. With the vacuum hose disconnected from the solenoid cannot turn them so I don't believe it's a vacuum problem.

I checked all the fuses listed in the owners manual and they all look good.

I checked the voltage in the connector going into the solenoid and got 14 volts on one side and nothing on the other regardless of the switch location.

I tried tapping the electric motor with no luck.

Could it be the switch or is there something else in between not listed in the owners manual.

I appreciate any advice.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
braggon
New User
An update in case anyone else runs across this. I disconnected the battery for a minute and when I reconnected it the 4x4 now works fine.

I think there is a breaker in the dash that was reset. I wish I could find an electrical schematic for the 4x4, it's not in the Haynes manual.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
CCBennett_1
Senior User
I just had the Solenoid, transfer case motor, and a check valve replaced on my IWE system. All because the light flashed but did not stay on. Now everything works. The service tech said on the 04’s it was common for that motor to fail because moisture can get inside.
On a side note: The transfer case motor was bad, my IWE solenoid was fine and the check valve was faulty allowing vacuum to escape. Since it was under a used car warrantee I didn’t have to pay.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 PM
scooter81
New User
Hey, new to fords and I have a similar but different problem.

I have an '02 250 w/on dash shifting. I can shift into 4x4 hi no prob. When I stop and try to put it into 4 Lo I hear "clunk clunk" and it does not engage. Then the 4 Lo light goes out and I can't even put it into 4 Hi unless I turn off the engine and restart.

I don't know if this is related to the problem, but my hub on the DS can only be turned using a wrench as it's REALLY stiff. The PS is easy as it should be.

And ideas?

Scott

Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Moosehunter-Mike
Freshman User
4x4 light wont come on dash

hi tried the hammer on the solenoid at transfercase 4x4 now engages and light comes on great stuff. How much does a new actuator cost?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM
jaredrobertson
New User
I've got a similar situation with the 4x4 on my 04 fx4. When i shift the switch on the dash, the corresponding lights come on correctly. 4hi light works and stays on but the front end will not engage. still in 2wd. ok if i put it in neutral, and shift to 4lo and put it back in drive, The 4lo light comes on, the gear reduction is present, but still no front tires turning. What do yall think? I've seen all these complaints about the 4x4 not working but most of them say that the lights wont come on. All my lights work good and the transfer case shifts to a lower gear but i still have no spinning. I havent tried anything yet. figured id wait and see what you guys thought.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
...and I THOUGHT I understood the 4x4 system! Thanks for the clarification crazy001 (floor shifter still has shift motor on t-case). I also thought I was avoiding electrical issues with the floor shifter! Oh, well. I may be guilty of putting out bad info regarding that item. Blanket appologies to all...

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 PM
dark cloud
New User
Hello all

I have read several threads in reference to 4x4 problems, yet the answer to my problem still eludes. Here's what I am experiencing. 2004 FX4 F150, lights on dash work, transmission shifts into low, although no clunking, no grinding, no noise and no 4 wheel drive. If the vacuum lines are removed from the IWE's should the front wheels lock in? I do not have a gauge, but the vacuum is significantly less on the drivers side than on the passenger. I am considering changing the, can't remember the name maybe accuator, behind the battery since it is inexpensive. Just worried my problem may be larger as a result of no noises from the wheel ends. Any insight is much appreciated.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM
vagunter
Junior User
Just bought my F-150 4x4 Lariat a couple of weeks ago and had the grinding noise a couple of days ago. It did it two days in a row. Checked out this site found out I had the old style solenoid got the new part and now my 4HI lite now works! Before it was intermittent. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 4x4 parts (there are plenty of diagrams and picturs on these forums, too);

Solenoid- on the psgr side firewall behind battery (this is the part that is frequently damaged by water...newer design has rain shield on top)

Shift motor- on the transfer case (this is what to tap on if you get no 4x4 light when placed in 4x4)

IWEs- on the inside of the wheel, where the drive shafts go to the front wheels (this is where the unnerving grinding noise comes from)

Check valves- two of them, in the vacuum lines coming off the solenoid, and faily close to the solenoid

Vacuum lines- from the intake manifold to the solenoid, solenoid to/from the vacuum reservoir, and from the solenoid to both IWEs (one on each front wheel hub). The factory vac lines are double lines. The larger diameter line is the vacuum line and the smaller is a vent line from the IWE up into the engine area (don't plug them).

some pictures here...

http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/60DRB/

Old 03-13-2011, 08:57 AM
vagunter
Junior User
Thanks for the additional info. little bit different system than my Jeep Wrangler.

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 4x4 not working