Mississippi Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Scndsin

December chat thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up December chat thread

Hey all, Well, December is finally here, Christmas is not far off. What's Santa going to bring you this year? Let's hear it.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
I don't think Santa is gonna bring me much this year. I think i'm going to have to go out and get it myself.

I finally got my truck pretty close to being in tip-top shape, got the heater core in, and its finally idling right. Still smells rich at idle, but its pulling down 15mpg, so that isn't bad for a 2wd with 3.55 gears and a T-18 4spd. Hope i can get the head to a machine shop and get the pressed-in rocker studs replaced with screw in type, as i think a couple have pulled up out of the head.

All in all i'm a happy guy, got my truck going again..and it got me out of my wife's frickin nissan altima.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 759 Likes on 541 Posts
I'm shopping for a good combination OBD I & II scan tool to put on my Christmas list. Wife will get equal or slightly higher value jewlery along with a couple of other inexpensive items.

But what I really want is a mig...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 AM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Scndsin
I'm shopping for a good combination OBD I & II scan tool to put on my Christmas list. Wife will get equal or slightly higher value jewlery along with a couple of other inexpensive items.

But what I really want is a mig...
David, you can come to my shop and use mine if you have something you need to weld, wear your coat there's no heat!

What happened to coach Croome?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Howdy folks! Hoping I get to drop in here more. I've put in for another Dremel motor. I'm wearing out the chuck on the one I have switching back and forth between cut-off wheels and other attachments.

Had a good frost this morning here.

Mitch

Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

The loss of a really good guy to a really crappy system.

All is MHO:

Croom inherited a program under sanctions at the school with the lowest (or close to it, varies somewhat year to year, but consitently...) athletic budget in the SEC. I think a paltry 31 Mil for 08. But thats a record high & reflects the school's seriousness in improving its program to stand more equally with its SEC bretheren. That program had drifted for the final 3 years under Sherill as a "gangsta/hip-hop" culture had become prevelant & he was just too tired to try & curb it. He was tired of coaching anyway and the combination showed in the team's record.

Then there's talent. State will never have 1st rate talent at all key positions & with depth all at once. There will always be combinations of such, but never completely. The other major schools will always trump State & suck the talent pool mostly dry. Sometimes the dice will fall just right & the team will have a good season. Talent, schedule and lack of injuries have to hit just right.

Then in comes one of the straightest arrows in the quiver of sports. A strong, moral and deeply faith based individual who learned his trade at the knee,so to speak, of one of the greatest coaches in history. And he doesn't put up with crap. Unfortunately one man can't fight societal influence on every individual of a team and some have to go. Even if they're great players.

Couple dropping 5 key individual players for stupid behavior along with some injuries early gives you embarassing loses which puts you in a hole and creates demoralization. That increases missed tackles, assignments & half-assed effort. Its contagious & spreads. Little things add up to a ugly total. One or two wins where they basicly overcame screwups don't support a winning season.

But Croom is getting the big bucks to produce. And the final product wasn't there. Personally I think State has shot itself in the foot. I think they will lose even more comitments by accepting his resignation & searching for a replacement. I can't see State finding a coach of say, Nutts stature, to hire on & that can take the solid foundation that Croom has built to make 09 better than 08.

I think if they had kept him the team coupled with new signees would come back with a vengance in 09 the likes that haven't been seen in Stark-Vegas in years. Now the future is the same as always. Starting over.

Croom did what he could do with what he could work with. He put the moral backbone in a program that had lost one. Graduating rates with higher GPAs and recruiting that is now without sin. But he fell to the final standards of college football. He didn't win enough soon enough.

Thanx for the opportunity to lament...

Old 12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Scndsin
The loss of a really good guy to a really crappy system.

All is MHO:

Croom inherited a program under sanctions at the school with the lowest (or close to it, varies somewhat year to year, but consitently...) athletic budget in the SEC. I think a paltry 31 Mil for 08. But thats a record high & reflects the school's seriousness in improving its program to stand more equally with its SEC bretheren. That program had drifted for the final 3 years under Sherill as a "gangsta/hip-hop" culture had become prevelant & he was just too tired to try & curb it. He was tired of coaching anyway and the combination showed in the team's record.

Then there's talent. State will never have 1st rate talent at all key positions & with depth all at once. There will always be combinations of such, but never completely. The other major schools will always trump State & suck the talent pool mostly dry. Sometimes the dice will fall just right & the team will have a good season. Talent, schedule and lack of injuries have to hit just right.

Then in comes one of the straightest arrows in the quiver of sports. A strong, moral and deeply faith based individual who learned his trade at the knee,so to speak, of one of the greatest coaches in history. And he doesn't put up with crap. Unfortunately one man can't fight societal influence on every individual of a team and some have to go. Even if they're great players.

Couple dropping 5 key individual players for stupid behavior along with some injuries early gives you embarassing loses which puts you in a hole and creates demoralization. That increases missed tackles, assignments & half-assed effort. Its contagious & spreads. Little things add up to a ugly total. One or two wins where they basicly overcame screwups don't support a winning season.

But Croom is getting the big bucks to produce. And the final product wasn't there. Personally I think State has shot itself in the foot. I think they will lose even more comitments by accepting his resignation & searching for a replacement. I can't see State finding a coach of say, Nutts stature, to hire on & that can take the solid foundation that Croom has built to make 09 better than 08.

I think if they had kept him the team coupled with new signees would come back with a vengance in 09 the likes that haven't been seen in Stark-Vegas in years. Now the future is the same as always. Starting over.

Croom did what he could do with what he could work with. He put the moral backbone in a program that had lost one. Graduating rates with higher GPAs and recruiting that is now without sin. But he fell to the final standards of college football. He didn't win enough soon enough.

Thanx for the opportunity to lament...
Said with such eloquence

Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Originally Posted by BarryMc
Said with such eloquence

He done good . . . didn't he!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 AM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Happy hump day Mississippi

Old 12-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Apparently, I need to watch the weather forecast closer. I wasn't expecting as much rain as what moved through here last night.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Good Monday morning Mississippi

Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
I'm glad i don't have class on Mondays, but i bet you all the typical "monday" stuff catches up with me tomorrow when i do!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by desperado_18_2000
I'm glad i don't have class on Mondays, but i bet you all the typical "monday" stuff catches up with me tomorrow when i do!
First day back to school or work after a weekend is a Monday even if it's a Tuesday

Old 12-09-2008, 04:29 PM
sign_man
Senior User
I'm trying to get my Mustang running for my Christmas present. I just have too much work to devote a lot of time to it.

Mitch, I haven't had a Dremel since I wore mine out porting my 289 heads on the steps of the trailer house. Remember that?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Hole-e penguin's revenge Batman!

Whats all that white stuff falling out of the sky in Mississippi???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: December chat thread