Wyoming Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: coolbeans

December BS/chat thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Good Morning Miles and the Wyoming crew! Well, it's a balmy -5 here at the plant right now, wind chills around -30. Suppose to get a couple inches of snow tomorrow. Anyone ready for spring yet??LOL!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:19 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy Monday Morning Pat. It is currently -10 here with a -30 wind chill. Even with a 4 hour run this morning on the engine heater the little diesel Jetta was not happy to start up. Supposed to get up to 14 but the wind will keep that temp in check.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Red didn't want to start either. I'm driving the '06 tomorrow. Not only does it have a block heater, but it has heated seats! How goes the house arrangements?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Just waiting until Friday to sign my life away. Still waiting on the results of the appraisal but the credit union expected them today (I am not optimistic) so that might push closing a few days. As long as we close by January 9th everything will be fine.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Well, there are worse things to sign you life away on!! Hope it all works out. Gee, then you can look forward to moving in this weather!!!LOL!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
It is supposed to be in the thirties this weekend so I guess it could be worse but still darn cold. I scored an enclosed trailer in town so I don't have to get one from Wheatland so snow should not be an issue but the cold won't be fun. I need to recruit about 20 people to help so we can move everything in about 30 minutes.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Good frozen morning Miles, Pat, and all others that can type on your keyboards with mittens. Kinda makes hunt and peck more adventerous. It's not that bad here at the ranch today but at 6 a.m. I was clocked in for a nice 15 below which was up from 18 below last night at 5 p.m. It was cold enough here that we ran shifts on the heating stove.

Until last night when I turned in at 8 I had only around 2 hours sleep in the last 24 keeping this place from freezing up but last night seeing how the lady of the house likes to sleep in , she took the early shift and then I got up a 4 a.m. and continued on.

What kind of heating does your new house have Miles? Gas or electric?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by mwvdub
I need to recruit about 20 people to help so we can move everything in about 30 minutes.
Now your thinking!! Big beer and pizza bill, though!

Originally Posted by Orin Martin
Good frozen morning Miles, Pat, and all others that can type on your keyboards with mittens. Kinda makes hunt and peck more adventerous. It's not that bad here at the ranch today but at 6 a.m. I was clocked in for a nice 15 below which was up from 18 below last night at 5 p.m. It was cold enough here that we ran shifts on the heating stove.

Until last night when I turned in at 8 I had only around 2 hours sleep in the last 24 keeping this place from freezing up but last night seeing how the lady of the house likes to sleep in , she took the early shift and then I got up a 4 a.m. and continued on.

Morning Orin. I just use my nose to type with, otherwise my typing looks like this with mittens..

hjul;ghoyh;qwfhiopasdvh;hl;lasdfpyop

And I figure you'd have a hard time understanding!!LOL!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Miles, Count me in for COFFEE and Pizza, give me beer or whiskey and I will want to do that more than help and by the time I feel like I want to help I don't amagine anyone will want me around.

Pat that last line looked alright through the ice hanging from my eye brows. LOL

Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Orin Martin

Good morning Orin, sounds like winter is trying to get the best of you. The new house we are working on buying, has a late 90's updraft natural gas furnace. It also has a wood burning fire place right inside the front door. It is in a wacky spot that I can foresee leading to lots of burned hands as you enter the front door. It is in a little addition that i believe used to be an unheated mud room or porch that was brought inside so a wood stove could be added.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mwvdub
Good morning Orin, sounds like winter is trying to get the best of you. The new house we are working on buying, has a late 90's updraft natural gas furnace. It also has a wood burning fire place right inside the front door. It is in a wacky spot that I can foresee leading to lots of burned hands as you enter the front door. It is in a little addition that i believe used to be an unheated mud room or porch that was brought inside so a wood stove could be added.
No, winter is a long way from getting the best of me. When I grew up here as a kid we did not have indoor plumbing of any kind but with this trailer house I live in while I attempt repairs on the old house it changes things some. I remember when the temps would get down to -35 durring this time of the year and warm up to a nice -20 in the day time. You would not believe a wind up alarm clock could actualy freeze up but it can. My mother would stay up in a chair by the stove at night and keep putting more wood in when she woke up from getting cold. We would have buckets of water in the house for drinking, cooking, and washing which we didn't want to have freeze up in the pails. Going to the bath room was yet another more than you could stand fun. Makes you tough though and adds charactor which mom used to tell in times like these.

That front room porch stove may have been put in to help keep the cold out of the main part of the house but I think your right, most likely some one is going to get burned and if some one come's in with the right kind of over clothes on there is a chance of catching the fabric on fire. I had a pair of mittens years back that burst into flame when I tried to warm by the stove.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Orin, I think not having indoor plumbing would add a lot of character. I think at times people forget how convenient items such as indoor plumbing are until the pipes freeze and you work on thawing them to find the break until 8:00 pm in -11 degree weather.

I think the fireplace needs to be reworked a little. I don't want to get rid of it but it needs a different setup

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Well, it's like 8 degrees here now! Break out the tannining lotion!! Miles, you'll have to post up a pic or two of your new place sometime.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Hoping to start moving in on Sunday. I have a feeling that we are going to get hosed a little. We are supposed to close on friday but the appraiser is taking his precious time. At this point I have a feeling that after the new year is in his time table. That means we are going to have to move in and basically rent the place until we close. So, we are going to have to make their mortgage payments for them until settlement. I was hoping to close this month so we could pay closing costs and start mortgage payments February 1st and basically get January for free (nothing is free). This would have left an extra $500 in my pocket to pay off some other stuff or buy new stuff for the house. Looks like we are going to make the payment for January and close in the same month so I will be extra broke to start the new year. Additionally the home owners are moving back east on Saturday, hence the 19th closing day. Why can't anything ever work out the way it is planned. I think I am going to fork the appraisers yard because he is really screwing us right now.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
I' am sorry your taking such a beating like that. Any thing to do with a home purchace seems to be an unholy nightmare. They know where they have you. Years back in another life I had a chance to buy a HUD home reasonable but another broker claim jumped us at the last minute to resell to some one for more money. Kinda makes you feel warm all over.
Have faith for these things shall pass before long maybe not like you planned it but you will still have a nice home it sounds like.

Quick Reply: December BS/chat thread