2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Performance

Old 12-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep...still likein the new heavier trucks with more roof support...

Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl

So now we coming to the conclusion that the 97-03's F150 aren't safe? We've officially gone from the lackluster performance of the 09's to debating about how "unsafe" the previous generation of F150 is?

Do you happen to know the history behind this picture?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Nope...just sayin that i'm glad the 04-08's and now the 09's are safer....i'm for one ok with them being a bit heavier than the previous generations since they're now much safer

Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Nope...just sayin that i'm glad the 04-08's and now the 09's are safer....i'm for one ok with them being a bit heavier than the previous generations since they're now much safer
You know, that is one way to think of it.

Im however, not happy with a heavier truck. Now if I was a crappy driver, or if my woman was constantly driving a truck, then I would be concerned about the heavier truck and higher safety ratings! (just my own personal opinion!)

Im curious though, what the numbers(actual differences due to the newer truck being more safe) would be on a new heavier truck, say compared to a early 90's light truck? I realize that information would be very hard to come across, accurately!

I would take a lighter "unsafer" truck that got better mileage personally. I wouldnt want to sacrafice quality of course (so not sure how much lighter it could be) and i do generally keep my vehicles for along time, so the mileage savings would add up to abit in the long run.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:30 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Fair enough.

But what's not to say the same damage wouldn't have happened if that truck was an 04-09 in that situation? ( that we know nothing about? )

Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
we don't know for sure it wouldn't have happened....but ford has engineered the roof to now support 3 times the weight of the truck on the 09's (per my dealer), so i'm guessing they'll be safer....

Old 12-19-2008, 10:12 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User

And the new heavier Tundra?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:34 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The fact of the matter, accident pictures aside, is that the 2004+ models were built with better safety all around than the previous models. You can't get around that, its how they were engineered after the poor crash test results from the previous generation making headlines.

As to taking a less safe truck over a safer truck, I'll take safer. Saving a few bucks on mileage isn't worth not being around for my wife and children. One can claim they are the safest driver in the world but you cannot control other drivers. My sister, who is extremely cautious, had her car totaled 2 weeks ago in a situation that no amount of safe driving could have gotten her out of: she had a tractor-trailer behind her, one in on the right and a dump truck on the left which decided it wanted her lane. She was pushed under the trailer-trailer and is lucky to be alive (she walked away without a scratch, thank God).

Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the NTSA standards. They've raised their standards on roof structures

BTW, some of those accidents would have been just as bad in a F150, as a Tundra. Is very hard to say which truck would have faired better. What with all the variables out there. If You get hit by a train going 55 MPH. It aint gonna matter which truck Your driving.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Making a truck lighter would barely get you better mileage. It would let you get slightly better mileage in the city, but would net you nothing on the highway. If your tires are properly inflated, rolling resistance is about the same regardless of weight. Highway driving is all about frontal area and drag coefficient. Hence why an 80,000 lb tractor trailer can get 7MPG, while a pickup weighing 6000 lbs only gets 17, even though the tractor trailer weighs 12x as much.

Trucks in their nature are not very aerodynamic. The ride height allows tons of air to get caught up underneath, large open square beds just plane suck for aero, and the large grilles the trucks need to keep plenty of fresh air flowing through the radiators just slam through the air like a brick wall. So if you want a truck to get really good mileage: Make the body out of plastic, get rid of the bed and round off the back of the cab, put a rounded off nose cone, and drop it to the ground. What do you have? Your average family econbox

Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
As to taking a less safe truck over a safer truck, I'll take safer.
Its like we're on the same page......LOL....

PS....so well said i'm givin ya rep for that....

Old 12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
My sister, who is extremely cautious, had her car totaled 2 weeks ago in a situation that no amount of safe driving could have gotten her out of: she had a tractor-trailer behind her, one in on the right and a dump truck on the left which decided it wanted her lane. She was pushed under the trailer-trailer and is lucky to be alive (she walked away without a scratch, thank God).
If safety is the main consideration.

Maybe You should consider putting Your Wife, and Children in a 5 star Ford Taurus? Instead of a F150?

If Ford lightened the F150 1500 lbs, You can dang sure bet it'd get better Fuel mileage. Weight increase/speed/fuel mileage is exponential.

It takes more power to keep a heavier truck going the same speed as a lighter truck. Aerodynamics being equal. Especially if Your driving in hilly terrain, windy conditions.
Go ask UPS why they switched to aluminum bodied delivery trucks. there were a number of factors, and fuel mileage was one of them.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Making a truck lighter would barely get you better mileage. It would let you get slightly better mileage in the city, but would net you nothing on the highway. If your tires are properly inflated, rolling resistance is about the same regardless of weight. Highway driving is all about frontal area and drag coefficient. Hence why an 80,000 lb tractor trailer can get 7MPG, while a pickup weighing 6000 lbs only gets 17, even though the tractor trailer weighs 12x as much.
An 80,000 lb semi usually has 10 speeds and turn low rpms with a mountain of torque, and don't have to rev much to make power (turbos love load + huge displacement).

Simply put, if you load 1,000 lbs, 2000 lbs, 3000 lbs into the bed of a half-ton gasser, you're going to lose gas mileage in both the city and the highway. To say otherwise is a dumfoundingly inaccurate statement.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
If safety is the main consideration.

Maybe You should consider putting Your Wife, and Children in a 5 star Ford Taurus? Instead of a F150?

If Ford lightened the F150 1500 lbs, You can dang sure bet it'd get better Fuel mileage. Weight increase/speed/fuel mileage is exponential.

It takes more power to keep a heavier truck going the same speed as a lighter truck. Aerodynamics being equal. Especially if Your driving in hilly terrain, windy conditions.
Go ask UPS why they switched to aluminum bodied delivery trucks. there were a number of factors, and fuel mileage was one of them.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........cars are fine for those who they work for....but we got 8 inches of snow today....which is a fairly mild storm....and guess what....a taurus just wouldn't work for me....which is why i choose my F150....but i want the safest F-150 I can get....and if thats a 6000 lb truck...so be it.....if ford wanted to increase it to 6500 and make it even safer...i'd be game....If I wanted a truck that weighed 4000 lbs, towed 5000 lbs...and got 25 mpg...I'D BUY A DANG RANGER ALREADY.....

Old 12-19-2008, 03:31 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Yeah, but You couldn't put a 20' stick of re-bar on a Ranger.

The Subaru Outback wagon is 5 star crash rated. Just got back from Christmas shopping. It snowed 10" today. With Blizzaks on it, I could run circles around any truck I saw. It get's 28 MPG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance