Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What not to do with glycerine!

and another resource....

biodieselSMARTER - Dumping Glycerine for Fun and for Profit

Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be sure to point that link out to the supporters of big oil...they'll love it. That don't care about $5 a gallon diesel or some foreign country having such a large influence of our economy. To get back to the subject at hand, it only takes a couple of bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Tom D
Elder User
So what is everyone SAFELY doing with their Glycerin. According to what I am reading, it sounds like if you live on a farm/ranch it is still unwise to dump it out on the ground. I live in the city and have had problems disposing of it.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM
lowell75
Senior User
As i mentioned...the site has other resources! I don't think the point of the thread is negative!

biodieselSMARTER - Composting: Solution?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by lowell75
As i mentioned...the site has other resources! I don't think the point of the thread is negative!

biodieselSMARTER - Composting: Solution?
That's fine, but it is still in the testing stage. Fabman (if I remember his quote) says he mixes it with water and sprays it in his fields as a fertilizer. I never checked back to see if he is having good luck with that. I certainly don't want to contaminate the ground or worse yet the water table.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the methanol should be removed before dumping the glycerin. I have read on biodiesel.infopop that some are applying demethed glycerin at a rate of 8 gallons/acre. The theory is that the potassium (K) in the glycerin is available to plants.

I have a friend that is using the glycerin to heat his oil and is having good results. If he stopped taking my glycerin, I think I would just set up a burner and burn it off. They take small galvanized pipe, heat it, and wrap it around a drive shaft (for a form). The nozzle is placed at the bottom of the coil so it heats the glycerin before it hits the nozzle and it can be pressured with a small pump or air compressor.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Originally Posted by zhilton
Be sure to point that link out to the supporters of big oil...they'll love it. That don't care about $5 a gallon diesel or some foreign country having such a large influence of our economy. To get back to the subject at hand, it only takes a couple of bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us.
you think that some foreign company has a big influence now, just wait a couple years. the states will be getting surpassed for global economy influence by more then 1 nation

Old 11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Follow the money: We will end up with a world banking system, and the few at the top of the money pyramid will control everyone. Bush alluded to global oversight in banking a few weeks ago, but no one's radar picked it up.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Knotwild
I think the methanol should be removed before dumping the glycerin. I have read on biodiesel.infopop that some are applying demethed glycerin at a rate of 8 gallons/acre. The theory is that the potassium (K) in the glycerin is available to plants.

I have a friend that is using the glycerin to heat his oil and is having good results. If he stopped taking my glycerin, I think I would just set up a burner and burn it off. They take small galvanized pipe, heat it, and wrap it around a drive shaft (for a form). The nozzle is placed at the bottom of the coil so it heats the glycerin before it hits the nozzle and it can be pressured with a small pump or air compressor.
Please read this thread! https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6595847

Burning glycerol is extremely dangerous when not done properly, and can cause an extremely PAINFULL death. This is the same stuff they called mustard gas in WWI! Glycerol MUST be burned above 1,800 deg F to be safe...........Please be careful.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:43 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom D
So what is everyone SAFELY doing with their Glycerin. According to what I am reading, it sounds like if you live on a farm/ranch it is still unwise to dump it out on the ground. I live in the city and have had problems disposing of it.
Same here. I've opted to not deal with trying to "clean up" my glycerin, and instead I'm taking on an additional disposal fee to take it to a local larger biodiesel facility where they will take it from me for 20 cents/gallon.

I'm just averaging it in to my total cost of production. If I generate 10-12 gallons of glycerin per 50 gallons of biodiesel, then it cost me roughly an additional $2 for that batch, or roughly 4-5 cents extra per gallon of diesel. Sure, it's an inconvenience, but I just collect it up in a 55 gallon drum over several batches and then take it in every few months.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:32 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
Same here. I've opted to not deal with trying to "clean up" my glycerin, and instead I'm taking on an additional disposal fee to take it to a local larger biodiesel facility where they will take it from me for 20 cents/gallon.

I'm just averaging it in to my total cost of production. If I generate 10-12 gallons of glycerin per 50 gallons of biodiesel, then it cost me roughly an additional $2 for that batch, or roughly 4-5 cents extra per gallon of diesel. Sure, it's an inconvenience, but I just collect it up in a 55 gallon drum over several batches and then take it in every few months.
I don't want this posting to come across as I'm trying to hijack this thread by saying something like "why SVO/WVO is better than biodiesel" just for the fact that is pure crazy talk. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages...it's purely up to the owner what they want to do. But this thread has opened the eyes of some of us to issues that home brewers face as far as the byproducts. I will say that I try to buy commercially produce B20 when it's reasonably priced. 5-10 cents a gallon isn't bad, and there have been times when dino-diesel is on the raise that the B20 is cheaper. But when it's 30-40 cents more a gallon is hard to justify.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
I generate large amounts of glycerol, and have multiple methods of disposal. I use KOH so I'm able to mix it 50/50 with water and apply it to my alfalfa fields as a supplemental fertilizer. I also made arrangements with my county road dept to spray it on gravel roads as a dust suppressant. I also mix it at a 10% ratio and feed it to my cattle. Last year we used a 10% mixture with wheat straw, and pelleted it for cattle feed. We hoped to use it as heating pellets, but found that it burns so hot it destroys the burner chamber in a wood pellet stove. I'm looking for a corn stove to try again, because the burner chamber in a corn stove is made of heaver metal, and should be able to handle the extra heat. I did make a "babington" burner and successfully burned it for process heat, but I decided to use solar heat instead.

My next project is to use it for making ethanol.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
I generate large amounts of glycerol, and have multiple methods of disposal. I use KOH so I'm able to mix it 50/50 with water and apply it to my alfalfa fields as a supplemental fertilizer. I also made arrangements with my county road dept to spray it on gravel roads as a dust suppressant. I also mix it at a 10% ratio and feed it to my cattle. Last year we used a 10% mixture with wheat straw, and pelleted it for cattle feed. We hoped to use it as heating pellets, but found that it burns so hot it destroys the burner chamber in a wood pellet stove. I'm looking for a corn stove to try again, because the burner chamber in a corn stove is made of heaver metal, and should be able to handle the extra heat. I did make a "babington" burner and successfully burned it for process heat, but I decided to use solar heat instead.

My next project is to use it for making ethanol.
So what you are saying Don is that as long as I remove all the methanol from the glycerin, I DO NOT have a problem with ground contamination? I have been dumping it into a parking lot drain (with the owner's permission) which drains out into a large retention pond. Any problem? Tom

Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom D
So what you are saying Don is that as long as I remove all the methanol from the glycerin, I DO NOT have a problem with ground contamination? I have been dumping it into a parking lot drain (with the owner's permission) which drains out into a large retention pond. Any problem? Tom
As long as the amounts are small, and the pond is fairly large I see no problem. Does it drain into any waterway, or just a pond?

Glycerol is a "sugary alcohol" and has the POTENTIAL to create an algae "bloom".

In any case, the Methanol MUST BE REMOVED FIRST! The Methanol is the real problem, as it's highly toxic.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:16 AM
lowell75
Senior User

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What not to do with glycerine!