2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Cam Phaser Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 AM
cpogjl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve, I hope you're still reading this email. This is an excellent explanation of how to remove and replace a phaser. In my research to figure out the fix for my 2005 f150 I came upon this forum post P0345 Runs Bad! - Ford F150 Forum I'm curious if you have seen his post, and what your thoughts are on realigning the cam/phaser prior to purchasing a replacement phaser.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
PeterTheWolf
Freshman User
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan
You can rent of buy the FR-303-1175-TD timing chain wedge here Timing Chain Locking Wedge
IA_Chiefs_Fan,

Can you please post the dimensions you used for the tool you made?

Thanks..............

Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM
IA_Chiefs_fan
New User
Originally Posted by PeterTheWolf
IA_Chiefs_Fan,

Can you please post the dimensions you used for the tool you made?

Thanks..............
Wouldn't recommend trying to make a homemade one. Too many horror stories. Rent or buy one here and be safe Timing Chain Locking Wedge FR-303-1175-TD

Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
atikovi
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the 4.6L engine have cam phasers too?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM
FX2nut
New User
All parts and tools are ordered, hopefully i'm able to complete it this weekend

Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FX2nut
All parts and tools are ordered, hopefully i'm able to complete it this weekend
FX, I'd say welcome to FTE, but even though this is your first post, I see you've been lurking for over 4 years!

Nice to see ya get in the lime light and outta the shadows!

Stewart

Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM
FX2nut
New User
Thanks, I'm always on but don't post much. I'm more active on FordF150.net. Everything is supposed to be here today and going to get started tomm afternoon

Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Well I hope we see you posting more often here. Good tech is always welcome!

Stewart

Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
FX2nut
New User
Is there any good way to rotate the engine to verify I have it in time. According to my haynes manual. there should be 2 colored links that should line up with the arrow on the phaser. I want to make sure before starting so i know if it is in time. Don't want to take the chance of something not being right

Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FX2nut
Is there any good way to rotate the engine to verify I have it in time. According to my haynes manual. there should be 2 colored links that should line up with the arrow on the phaser. I want to make sure before starting so i know if it is in time. Don't want to take the chance of something not being right
Not really... Unfortunately due to different size gears (Phazer gears are almost 2x the crank gear). You will Never get the links to line up to the marks on the phasers / crank gear.

You can rotate the engine around until you have a colored link CLOSE to the mark on the phasers or crank gear. What you can do is simply count the offset of the colored links to the marks and that should be consistent across all 3 gears..

Example - the colored link on Passenger phaser link is 5 "Teeth" off. Well then so should the Drivers side (obviously in the same direction) as well as the Crank.

Honestly if you engine was a link or two off - you would know it!

Also - invest in the FORD Manual - I have mine for sale! It is a 2006 F-150 Manual - Cheap! $80 Shipped!

Good Luck - Also if you do a search - I recall someone posting the pictures (Maybe even Me! haha) about the gears.

-Uzi

Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM
horn4life
New User
Tool and part questions

First off here is a link to exactly what my Expedition sounds like I got from the other forum
Loud ticking at 35 seconds is my biggest concern. It the phaser about to blow up? Or timing chain now getting loose and "slapping" causing the harder ticking?

I screwed up and put in too heavy oil before a trip and the damage was done but I have been too busy remodeling the house to make the work priority one. Now my truck sounds like the video and I need to get after it. I am assuming for parts both phasers, and perhaps timing belt tensioners (do I have to remove timing cover to gain access?) maybe all the lifters? Or at least pull and inspect?

Anyhow wondering what you guys think after listening to the other guys video.

ALSO here is a time lapse Cam Phaser Change that is a great example done by a professional, looks like he has a special valve tool to inspect/replace cam followers?

Trying to order all the parts today and afraid to drive the truck until I do the work (unless I am more afraid than I should be) as cheaper parts are a day or two away.

Thanks in advance from Austin Texas

Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Mitch Court
New User
Steve, thanks for posting this with the photos, I'm going to work on replacing both sides this weekend. I'm still nervous about the wedge placement,but ill figure it out. Should I replace the timing chain already at 130K? The phaser knock is somming from the passengers side only.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Reidtriton
New User
Cam phaser problem?

Hi there, Im new to the Thread but do have some knowledge about this topic because i've read almost every single one. My truck has had a ticking noise for almost 150,000 km. in the last 5000 km it has gotten worse and worse not it has almost a knock at operating temp and no longer a tick. I have seen no CEL or effect in power or idle condition. should i be worried or even just do the phaser my self? I have a video of the motor that i will post.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Island Truck
New User
Cam Phasers

I changed my phasers generally following Steve's excellent post. I also bought the ford manual from Ebay and that had some good tips too.

As far as "should I replace my timing chain at only 130k" question, I would say that it's not a question of mileage, but a question of how close you are to having access to it. Once you've got the valve covers off, you've really done the hard part in my opinion. Might as well go the extra mile and do the chains seeing as you're so close.

Not to mention that the chain tensioners and guides often have issues at about your mileage.

I did just the phasers the first time and was stoked at how much better it was. For a month. Then I had to take the whole thing apart again and do the chain and chain tensioners and guides. (my guides were fine, the tensioners were shot).

So that's my advice... go for it and just do this job once.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 PM
cbharis
New User
Steve,
Thanks for the post. Is it a possibility to get the pictures re-posted as they are not working for me anymore? Many thanks in advance!!!

Quick Reply: DIY - Cam Phaser Replacement