1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"clicking sound" when i spin my front left wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 AM
browntown3
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
"clicking sound" when i spin my front left wheel?

I was rotating my tires last night and jacked up the passenger side and started spinning the wheel and there was a clicking sound coming out of the 4x4 hub? My truck has auto locking hubs and the wheel spun freely but it sounded like (tick, tick tick tick tick) the whole time i turned it ? Anyone experienced this before ? The drivers side turns fine with no noises. What could be wrong ? Thanks in advance!

Old 11-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like the hub is not fully unengaged.. it might be just barely engage the end of a spline or the spring internaly..

can u turn the hub lock manualy both directions a few times and see if it resets it ???

p.s. that is exactly why i prefer manual locking hubs...least u know when its actualy fully "locked" in..

Old 11-29-2008, 06:50 PM
chris60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
sounds like the hub is not fully unengaged.. it might be just barely engage the end of a spline or the spring internaly..

can u turn the hub lock manualy both directions a few times and see if it resets it ???

p.s. that is exactly why i prefer manual locking hubs...least u know when its actualy fully "locked" in..
Exactly what I have done, it corrected the problem. Try it.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Bulldog66
Senior User
Originally Posted by chris60
Exactly what I have done, it corrected the problem. Try it.

Possibly one the biggest downfalls for Ford. That vaccume design is horrible. Try as the others said - manually lock and unlock the hubs to ensure they're fully disengaged.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM
browntown3
Tuned
Ok really dumb question but how do i manually unlock my automatic hubs ??? Thanks for the help guys!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Rongold
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto Hubs

Originally Posted by browntown3
Ok really dumb question but how do i manually unlock my automatic hubs ??? Thanks for the help guys!
The big plastic **** in the center of the hub is for manually locking the hub. However, if you lock it, and then rotate it back to "Auto", it will stay locked. You then have to use the switch in the cab to cycle it to the unlocked position.

Why don't you just get in the truck, roll forwards about 2 or 3 MPH, engage the 4WD, and then turn the switch back to 2WD. Drive it for a few blocks, and everything should then be unlocked. If the 1 side still clicks, I would say your hub is not releasing all the way and needs to be cleaned & lubed internally, or replaced.

RON

Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 AM
browntown3
Tuned
Originally Posted by Rongold
The big plastic **** in the center of the hub is for manually locking the hub. However, if you lock it, and then rotate it back to "Auto", it will stay locked. You then have to use the switch in the cab to cycle it to the unlocked position.

Why don't you just get in the truck, roll forwards about 2 or 3 MPH, engage the 4WD, and then turn the switch back to 2WD. Drive it for a few blocks, and everything should then be unlocked. If the 1 side still clicks, I would say your hub is not releasing all the way and needs to be cleaned & lubed internally, or replaced.

RON
Ron thanks for replying but i dont think the center of my hubs will turn? they dont have Auto or Lock or anything written on them, I thought they were just "dummies" all i have in the truck is a switch 2wd 4wd and 4lo, I thought the hubs lock electronically and you dont have to get out and switch them on my truck ? correct me if im wrong, I did try to turn the center hub and it felt like it would move alittle but i didnt think i had to do that on mine ? (which if in fact they are supposed to turn that might be the problem because it feels like its locked up or something)

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
chris60
Senior User
Ron thanks for replying but i dont think the center of my hubs will turn? they dont have Auto or Lock or anything written on them, I thought they were just "dummies" all i have in the truck is a switch 2wd 4wd and 4lo, I thought the hubs lock electronically and you dont have to get out and switch them on my truck ? correct me if im wrong, I did try to turn the center hub and it felt like it would move alittle but i didnt think i had to do that on mine ? (which if in fact they are supposed to turn that might be the problem because it feels like its locked up or something)
I think you have a 2002 F350? your hubs will have 2 postions, Auto & manual.
The paint wears off, so its hard to tell what way to move it & these things will seize up in the auto postion where most of us leave it. So if you can't work it loose, then try switching the hub to the other side, if the clicking follows it, try & service the hub ( see the super duty tech folder, great info on how to do this in there) or replace it.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
browntown3
Tuned
AHHHHHHHH I see now!................Turn clockwise to lock, counter for auto.........A pic off ebay helped me figure that out! Yea mine are just worn off i guess, i will try as soon as i get home to switch them......do you think that might be a factor in the fact that its very hard for my truck to turn at slow speeds ? im going to do a power steering flush this weekend but that got me thinking if my hubs are "frozen in lock" that might be putting some strain as i try to turn..............Thanks for all your help guys.......You learn something new everyday on this site!! I'll be back to follow up on wither or not they free'd up or not. Thanks

Old 12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
chris60
Senior User
AHHHHHHHH I see now!................Turn clockwise to lock, counter for auto.........A pic off ebay helped me figure that out! Yea mine are just worn off i guess, i will try as soon as i get home to switch them......do you think that might be a factor in the fact that its very hard for my truck to turn at slow speeds ? im going to do a power steering flush this weekend but that got me thinking if my hubs are "frozen in lock" that might be putting some strain as i try to turn..............Thanks for all your help guys.......You learn something new everyday on this site!! I'll be back to follow up on wither or not they free'd up or not. Thanks
If you have hard steering moving, it might be hubs locked in, But if it's sitting still, & if you have the orig. ball joints, they can bind as well. I replaced all 4 last week, what a difference in steering effort.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it will cause to the tires to "grab" if the hubs are still locked, whether your transfer case is engaged or not.

If you have single rear wheels, the manual hubs from Warn or Milemarker will work. If you have dual rear wheels, the Milemarkers will, but the Warn's cap diameter is too large.

Get the manual hubs and be done with it. JMHO on that.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:00 AM
browntown3
Tuned
Well i checked them out and that side was sure enough "locked up" I dont know if its locked in auto or "lock" I took it out and tried to oil the hub but i couldnt even free it with a pair of pliers, do any of you guys know how i can free it up? I think i will put manual hubs on it in the future but just cant swing it right now........dam economy! ha