N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Help needed....Anyone on here know how to rebuild a C6 2wd trans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 12:21 PM
DROOPY209
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed....Anyone on here know how to rebuild a C6 2wd trans?

Hi everybody! I was wondering if anybody on here knows how to rebuild a C6 2wd transmission out of a 75 F-100. It's for my dads truck. A friend and I can remove the transmission. My friend is very good with auto mechanics such as replacing head gaskets, swapping engines, and I'm very knowledgeable with Mitsubishis.

I've heard that its not very hard to rebuild the C6. Is this something that you think I can tackle myself?

Does anybody on here know how to rebuild one of those transmissions?
My dad would like to get the truck up and running soon, as its starting to slip when the truck is cold.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:18 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DROOPY209
Hi everybody! I was wondering if anybody on here knows how to rebuild a C6 2wd transmission out of a 75 F-100. It's for my dads truck. A friend and I can remove the transmission. My friend is very good with auto mechanics such as replacing head gaskets, swapping engines, and I'm very knowledgeable with Mitsubishis.

I've heard that its not very hard to rebuild the C6. Is this something that you think I can tackle myself?

Does anybody on here know how to rebuild one of those transmissions?
My dad would like to get the truck up and running soon, as its starting to slip when the truck is cold.
I've heard that the auto transmissions can be tough, but I am about the farthest from a mechanic that you can get. Hopefully somebody soon will chime in with more information. You may also want to try this link to see if there is more information on rebuilding a C6
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/
Good luck.
Karl

Old 11-28-2008, 05:22 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Where you located at Droopy? Also what eninge do you have?

Reason I ask is I have a C6 here that another member dropped off, it's for an FE engine and is supposed to work.

I'm in Oakdale...I guess if you have to ask where that is, it'd be too far to travel

Old 11-28-2008, 11:47 PM
DROOPY209
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fastmover
I've heard that the auto transmissions can be tough, but I am about the farthest from a mechanic that you can get. Hopefully somebody soon will chime in with more information. You may also want to try this link to see if there is more information on rebuilding a C6
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/
Good luck.
Karl
I appreciate all of your help Karl. I've read on here that there are some DVDs for rebuilding a C4 transmission, maybe there is a DVD showing how to rebuild a C6. I'm the kind of guy that would prefer to try to tackle a job myself then to pay a shop a bunch of money that my family doesn't have just laying around. I've been doing mobile electronics since '98 and my friend has been working on cars and doing side jobs for a few years. I think that maybe between the both of us we can remove and rebuild the transmission.

After all, I'm sure that rebuilding a C6 is a heck of a lot easier then rebuilding the transmission in my 4WD Navigator.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:01 AM
DROOPY209
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Where you located at Droopy? Also what eninge do you have?

Reason I ask is I have a C6 here that another member dropped off, it's for an FE engine and is supposed to work.

I'm in Oakdale...I guess if you have to ask where that is, it'd be too far to travel
Hey 3Mike6!

I live in a small town named Galt, just north of Stockton and south of Sacramento.

Ofcourse I know where Oakdale is, a friend of mine lives in Oakdale. As a matter of fact, I went to the Galaxy movie theater in Riverbank with her last weekend.

The truck is a 1975 Ford F-100 2WD with a 390 engine and 2barrel carb, with a C6 transmission. The transmission is original and has never been rebuilt. My friend and I rebuilt the engine, about 6 years ago.

To give you a little more insight on what is happening, when he truck is cold in the morning, my dad will warm up the truck to operating temp, then he will put it in drive and take off. About 100 yards from here, the engine suddenly just free spins, like if the transmission was thrown in neutral, but it's still rolling forward and in drive. My dad will rev up the engine for a few seconds, or drop it down to 1st gear and then the truck will start moving again. Once the transmission warms up a bit more, then the truck will run great, upshifting and downshifting like normal.

I've changed the trans filter and fluid twice, and my dad took it to a shop here locally where they supposedly "adjusted the bands" or something like that. It worked for a while, but then the problem slowly returned.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:32 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have the DVD or the ATSG manual, a super clean working area, and of course a kit, I dont see it as a problem. I want to do the same to the Allison I have in my garage. If you're used to working on electronics, this will be pretty easy, but time consuming.
I've lived here long enuf to know where Galt is.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yep. I know where Galt is too...anyone remember "Rudy Castillo Chevrolet"?

You're welcome to come get and try this tranny out, if it works, you can make a donation for what you feel it's worth.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:45 AM
DROOPY209
Freshman User
Yep. I know where Galt is too...anyone remember "Rudy Castillo Chevrolet"?

You're welcome to come get and try this tranny out, if it works, you can make a donation for what you feel it's worth.
Was the transmission running when it was pulled?

My cell is 209-747.3205

My name is George.

If you are free today, maybe I can swing by and get it. My dad is really anxious.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 AM
DROOPY209
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
If you have the DVD or the ATSG manual, a super clean working area, and of course a kit, I dont see it as a problem. I want to do the same to the Allison I have in my garage. If you're used to working on electronics, this will be pretty easy, but time consuming.
I've lived here long enuf to know where Galt is.
If needed, I have a 2 car garage that I use as my installation bay that I can use. I have a few folding tables, and plenty of MDF incase I have to make a bigger table.

Are there any special tools that I will need to rebuild the transmission?

Or can I rebuild it with minimal tools?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:44 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to log back on yesterday, had to finish up the tackroom.

I was told by Clint (WillyB-our original Chapter Leader) that the tranny ran fine, he pulled the engine/etc from his '72 because of a blown head gasket and figued to rebuild the engine, then never got around to it.

Check your PM's.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
It was nice to meet George today, he came down and picked up the C6 Clint left here...real nice guy.

Very refreshing to meet up with a young man of his caliber.

Only problem I see with George, is he used a good 30 feet of rope to tie the tranny into the bed of his truck...might take him 2 or 3 days to get it unwound...so it'll be a bit before we know how the tranny works

Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He used a good 30 feet of rope to tie the tranny into the bed of his truck...might take him 2 or 3 days to get it unwound...so it'll be a bit before we know how the tranny works
If you need more rope, I know where to find some 1/4 or 3/8" yellow rope.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Rope, duct tape, and bungee cords hold together most of my projects. I may use a few cinder blocks and a blue tarp to keep things from blowing away.

Here is an article about how GM is using a blue tarp.

Hey Mike, Thanks for helping out a new member. You really stepped up. If you happen to have a fresh FE 390 with an RV cam, Edel... I will be there this weekend.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Heck...the thanks should really go to Clint...he dropped things off for AJ...who decided to go another route...then Frank got the shortblock to rebuild for his truck, I scrapped the heads and intake over the summer, now George has the tranny.

I was just the middle man

No FE's, but could set you up with a fresh .030 318 Mopar or I could freshen up a 350 Chevy I have...you know, just to make that HighBoy run some

Old 12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
No FE's, but could set you up with a fresh .030 318 Mopar or I could freshen up a 350 Chevy I have...you know, just to make that HighBoy run some
Mike,
I think you just gave all FTE members shiver down their backs when you wrote that. As Obi-Wan Kenobi said in Star Wars:
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Quick Reply: Help needed....Anyone on here know how to rebuild a C6 2wd trans?