Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
Taurus X, discontinued February, 2009

Found this on the Ford fleet website. Looks like the time has finally come. There was to much product overlap anyways with the Flex in the lineup and the up coming next generation Explorer going to a unibody.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/ShowWhatsNewItem.asp?id=547

Taurus X NewsProduction of the Ford Taurus X will be discontinued in February, 2009. The cancellation of the Taurus X will allow us to provide a singular solution to our customers needing a seven-passenger crossover with the Ford Flex, a great vehicle that is both safe and stylish.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 11-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I don't see why Ford needs 3 "Crossovers" in their lineup anyway.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Postmaster

Suburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I don't see why Ford needs 3 "Crossovers" in their lineup anyway.
But why did they have to keep the one that is as ugly as a Scion X-B ?

Oops... Did I say that out loud?

-JR
1999 Suburban: 5.7L, V8, 3.73 LS, 127K - GONE !
2000 Taurus SE:
3.0L DOHC Duratec, Station Wagon, 179K
2005 Excursion: 6.8L, V10, Eddie Bauer, 3.73 Open, 70K - Finally Found an Excursion !
2006 Grand Marquis: 4.6L, V8, HPP, 3.27 Open, Dual Exhaust, 39K - Never in the Winter
Old 12-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_B_Gone View Post
But why did they have to keep the one that is as ugly as a Scion X-B ?

Oops... Did I say that out loud?

-JR
Because its better in every imaginable way than the Taurus X.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What a waste of retooling... no wonder they are in trouble. Can you imagine keeping parts for a line that lasted a year? Hmmm maybe a collector item in about 50 years... sheesh.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Postmaster

Suburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion View Post
Because its better in every imaginable way than the Taurus X.
I might be willing to concede that it is better in every imaginable way except outward appearance.

Respectfully,

-JR
2000 Taurus SE:
2005 Excursion: 6.8L, V10, Eddie Bauer, 3.73 Open, 70K - Finally Found an Excursion !
2006 Grand Marquis: 4.6L, V8, HPP, 3.27 Open, Dual Exhaust, 39K - Never in the Winter
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_B_Gone View Post
I might be willing to concede that it is better in every imaginable way except outward appearance.

Respectfully,

-JR
Thats your opinion. In my opinion, its better in every imaginable way including exterior styling. I'm done, are you?

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion View Post
Thats your opinion. In my opinion, its better in every imaginable way including exterior styling. I'm done, are you?
No offense intended. It was merely an expression of opinions that I thought were allowed in this setting. I am, indeed, done.

Respectfully,

-JR
2000 Taurus SE:
Old 12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Freshman User

Dark Met. Blue FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeap....Sad to see the Taurus's boyfriend go bye bye.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Posting Guru

alxsnmr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It looked alot like the subie forester, but probably not the same level of performance. A die hard subie fan is far harder to attract away than a die hard ford fanatic.

1991 Bronco silver anniversary, 5.8L EFI, E4OD swapped for C-6, custom trimmed rear fenders finished in rust.

2009 Fusion SE 2.3L 5spd Red/black cloth n leather
Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 PM
South Dakota Chapter Ldr

cowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputationcowboywanabe has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerWinzlow View Post
What a waste of retooling... no wonder they are in trouble. Can you imagine keeping parts for a line that lasted a year? Hmmm maybe a collector item in about 50 years... sheesh.

I think the Taurus X was just a made-over version of the Freestyle, so it's been around for 3 years or so. I don't think either car was a real hit.

Official #10 Slackmaster/#13 Big BS'er
Winter Enthusiast!
Click Here to Join the South Dakota Chapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOESTNER View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Rob is insane and should be institutionalized.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Posting Guru

alxsnmr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It was the Freestyle and the Fivehundred which were renamed as the Taurus X and Taurus about a year after the previous Taurus ceased production. I think the statement from Ford was for a better product recognition.

1991 Bronco silver anniversary, 5.8L EFI, E4OD swapped for C-6, custom trimmed rear fenders finished in rust.

2009 Fusion SE 2.3L 5spd Red/black cloth n leather
Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe View Post
I think the Taurus X was just a made-over version of the Freestyle, so it's been around for 3 years or so. I don't think either car was a real hit.

It has a completely different drive train amoung a substantial list of other improvements. All those changes arent cheap.

We know the Excursion was a poor seller too, but imagine if in its last year they retooled it with a 6.0 power stroke with torqueflite trans and upgraded the entire interior with all new electronics and wiring, then dumped it the next year. That isnt small potatoes.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 AM
A mostly quiet ^

the_webers_inc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.the_webers_inc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerWinzlow View Post
It has a completely different drive train amoung a substantial list of other improvements. All those changes arent cheap.
But that drive train is identical to the one in the current Taurus. Most all of the major changes that went into moving from the Freestyle to the Taurus X are shared with the move from the Five Hundred to the Taurus.

Both the Taurus and Taurus X are produced on the same assembly line intermingled with each other from what I understand.

So really, most of the parts that are truly Freestyle/Taurus X specific, have had a 5 year run....

T. J.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Post Fiend

wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.
Exactly, the taruas X filled the gap untill they put out the edge and now the flex. Thats too many vehicles in one class anyway. However, if you still like the awd station wagon concept, volvo offers a nice one, Actually it's better looking than the taraus X. The escape, mariner and tribute has to be the king of crossovers, everyother car on the road is one or the other around here.

2008 mercury mariner 4x4 V-6, automatic.

1987 jeep wrangler, 258, 5-speed
Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers

Tags
2001, 2009, crossover, discontinue, discontinued, discontinues, discontinuing, ford, forum, louis, opinion, production, st, taurus, x