Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Senior User

R-WEST is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
But why did they have to keep the one that is as ugly as a Scion X-B ?
Agreed. Sorry, square ain't where it's at..

'Course, the upside is I now have a collector's item (just got an "X" three weeks ago).
Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Post Fiend

wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.
How do you like your X so far? I also like the looks of the X better than the flex.

2008 mercury mariner 4x4 V-6, automatic.

1987 jeep wrangler, 258, 5-speed
Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Senior User

R-WEST is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell borror View Post
How do you like your X so far? I also like the looks of the X better than the flex.
Hi wendell -
Bear in mind that the previous vehicle was a Freestyle.
[rant on]I liked the Freestyle's CVT transmission better than the X. The X wants to keep you in the highest gear possible at all times, so a lot of throttle foot-work happens when you come to a hill. Push - nothing, push - nothing, push a little more - much downshifting/revving and away you go. With the Freestyle, a little throttle pressure and up the hill you went.
The low beams absolutely stink!! I remember reading about another X owner's complaint at the
Ford Forum (2008 Taurus X headlight issues - Ford Forums) that the low beam on the driver's side was not focused properly, while the one on the passenger side was this big blob out about 50 feet in front. I thought he got a bad batch of bulbs or reflectors, or something. He didn't. They're horrible. I'm checking for some aftermarket headlamp reflector ***'ys - maybe someone has something better out there. Kinda' burns me that I have to fix an obvious factory defect. The bulbs are H11's - it's been recommended that they be replaced with higher output H9's, but if the reflectors are the problem, it'll probably just get worse. The other night, we were returning from a trip and got stuck in rain at night - fortunately I knew the road by heart!! I've been driving for 40 years, and I can say without reservation that these are the worst low beams EVER!! By contrast, the high beams (9005's) are great, or maybe they just seem that way 'cause the low beams are so bad. In any event, I can put some Silverstar Ultra's in to replace THEM if I need to.
[rant off]
All that aside, the X is a serviceable unit - the missus, the primary driver, loves it, as she did the Freestyle. It's small enough to get in/out of parking places; handles well; decent gas mileage (20 MPG +/- average in the short time we've had it). I just told her not to drive at night unless absolutely necessary, until I can get the headlights working.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
i personaly think the Ford Flex is one of their best stylin designs in years..

its got a look that polarizes people..which is always good.. u either love it or hate it, but at least u recognize it..

i think the Flex would be a huge success for Ford if its were cheaper..at its price point, alot of potential customers will find other vehicles..

on a side note i do think the Flex would look fantastic lowered with massive rims filling in the wheelwells.. sort of the same image the Dodge magnum/chyrsler 300 had when i firt hit teh streets...

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 12-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life View Post
i personaly think the Ford Flex is one of their best stylin designs in years..

its got a look that polarizes people..which is always good.. u either love it or hate it, but at least u recognize it..

i think the Flex would be a huge success for Ford if its were cheaper..at its price point, alot of potential customers will find other vehicles..

on a side note i do think the Flex would look fantastic lowered with massive rims filling in the wheelwells.. sort of the same image the Dodge magnum/chyrsler 300 had when i firt hit teh streets...
The pricing of the Flex is in line with it's intended competition.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 PM
New User

timsheehan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Taurus XnKY

We bought a new Taurus X about 6 months ago to replace the 2000 excursion. We were interested in the Flex but it was taking Ford forever to get them to market and information on the site was lacking, particularly their gas milage rating. Since the flex had lower gas milage rating than the Taurus X and a higher sticker price when we built comparable vehicles we went with the Taurus X. I thought the Flex looked cool and I thought it would be neat to own one but gas was high, money tight and the X fit the budget better. There are lots of them on the road around here as well as the Freestyles. I think it is for the same reason as we bought one. Since the dealers got their flexes in several months back they are still siting on their lots. I think everybody out there is well aware that $3 and $4 gas can happen and if their looking for a 7 passenger hauler then the X is it. If it goes away it will be the Acadia which was my wife's other choice. So will the rename the X the explorer just to keep the car alive and give it the name recognition of the explorer. Same idea behind renaming the ford 500 the taurus.

I am having a problem with the X that I hope the dealer can fix under warranty. Passenger side seat heater won't come on. First push of the button the two lights come on and go back off. Sometimes it will start out working and then go off after a few seconds and can't be turned back on. Anyone else have this problem or anything else I should look out for? Thanks
Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 PM
New User

locolobo is starting off with a positive reputation.
i personally liked it but it sure seemed to go over like a fart in church. i heard one of the reasons was it was based on volvo platform and it was quite costly.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Posting Guru

caprang is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bottom line is that Ford isnt in business to sell anything in small volumes. If it sold well the Flex wouldnt exist. The X is a great vehicle and I think it would do so much better if Ford actually advertised it. We special ordered ours before they were even on the lots and have had it well over a year now. Still, we get lots of stares and people constantly asking "who makes that" or "what kind of vehicle is that". Nobody knows about them and that is a complete failure of Ford's marketing department. They advertise the Flex pretty heavily so why didnt they ever do that with the X??
Job #3 build, 2" leveling kit, rear air bags, smoked cab lights and mirror lenses
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Posting Guru

caprang is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
locolobo, sounds like there is a short somewhere. We had a similar problem where the rear folding seat button would only work periodically. Turned out to be a wire running through the headliner. Apparently when they installed the screw for the sun visor it nicked the wire so it was shorting out the circuit breaker when we hit the button to fold the seat.

Took the dealer an entire day to trace the problem but bottom line is they fixed it and no more problems. Good luck and let us know if it turns out to be something of interest.
Job #3 build, 2" leveling kit, rear air bags, smoked cab lights and mirror lenses
Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior User

sorensenj is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just bought an T/X for my wife. We looked at the Edge, Flex and X and she liked the looks of the X best (she thought the Flex looked like "that ugly Toyota thing", I believe she was refering to the x-b). Personally, I thought the Edge was a better looking vehicle than the other two but I my opinion doesn't count in this case. Funny thing is, when we started looking we had never heard of the X before. I read that the 500 hundred became the new Taurus but was totally unaware that the Freestyle had become the X. I think Ford gave up on it before spent any money on advertising. Does seem wasteful to have 3 crossovers in the lineup especially when vehicles aren't selling well in the first place. Although, all three seem to have people solidily in their respective corners.
So far, she loves her X. Likes the ride, likes the power and really likes the room. She had a Mustang before the X so it's a huge change for her. I haven't driven it yet, can't seem to get chance! lol
Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 PM