1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:32 PM
taken
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Question

I have a 09 on the way and I was looking to have remote start installed. The wife and I go snowmobiling and it would be nice to have the truck warmed up when leaving in the AM. (Especially on the Canada border. Last year it was almost 20 below when we checked out of the hotel!) I see that it is a Ford dealer installed option. Has anyone had this done? If so what is the cost? Will it work with the factory keyless entry fob or will I now need two? Any details would be appreciated. I would like to have it installed when I pick the truck up.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:39 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Almost any GOOD remote start will need it's own key fob. There are one's out there that use the factory remote but they aren't very good. The Ford ones are decent and designed to integrate with the security features of the truck. However, many good aftermarket brands are available. I have a scytek on my truck. It's OK. Cost about $325 on the "hookup" price. I would expect you would pay $300 to $500 depending on the model and options.

I haven't found the aftermarket ones with "paging remotes" to be that durable. The remote is rather fragile. Some have good luck with them but mine, and others I know, the remote doesn't fair well. It's a neat idea that the remote will alert you to a problem with the truck, but I don't know how practical it really is. The range is excellent though, and it's nice to get the feedback when it's started. But I've been using the standard remote for 1/2 a year now, and i could care less.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 PM
taken
Senior User
I was kind of hoping for a one remote system. That would be nice. And having it done when I pick up the truck would be great too. That's why I was leaning towards the Ford one. I guess I will see what I can negotiate with the dealer. I heard it was a pretty involved install from what I read in the searched threads. No clear price though.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer one is an aftermarket alarm with Ford stickers on it. I have it installed on my 08 and it is not plug and play. Allot of splicing. Do you research on a real aftermarket one and you will probably be more happy. $500 for mine total but I got the alarm portion too.

As for the heating up issue, I bought a diesel. The supplemental heat option on the diesel warms up in about 20 seconds. I don't think it is an option on the V10, but if it is, thats the way I wouldve went.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Yes you can use one remote with a good RS/Alarm. You use the alarm/RS's remote, and it gets wired into the VSM/GEM/BCM. With most aftermarket alarm/RS's you also get extra outputs. My compustar runs my tonneau cover as wells locks/unlocks/starts my truck.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:47 AM
tsedgar
Hawkerpilot05
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just remember that if your vehicle is under warranty and you have a electrical problem, the dealer will try to blame it on the aftermarket remote start. This happened with my dad and he went back to the company that installed the remote start and they provided him with the answers he needed to go back to the Ford dealer and get them to work on his electrical problem. I believe this was over a issue with his radio.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:47 PM
bill64
Senior User
the ford remote start/alarm is made by code alarm. i had one installed in my 94 f250 three years ago and now it is in my 08 superduty. no problems with it at all. also if the ford one is purchased along with the vehicle it will be covered under the new vehicle warranty.
i live in holyoke also, small world !

Old 11-28-2008, 01:40 PM
taken
Senior User
Thanks for the advice guys. I wanted the Ford (private label) so it could be in when I pick up the truck as well as not hearing noise about warranty as stated above. My dealer told me parts and labor is $399 so I am going to have them put it in when the truck arrives. I have a strong suspicion that once I get my hands on this truck, I will have a hard time leaving it off anywhere for a while...

PS It sure is a small world Bill!!

Old 11-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Sleepsafe
Junior User
I have a new 08 I took delivery of a couple of weeks ago. I wanted a remote starter, and the dealer installed an Astro brand. Says it has better range and longer battery life than the Ford unit. Works great, it would be even better if it turned on the heated seats!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
that sounds about right. I had to pay for extras for the diesel and the alarm. Have fun with it.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ReAX
Yes you can use one remote with a good RS/Alarm. You use the alarm/RS's remote, and it gets wired into the VSM/GEM/BCM. With most aftermarket alarm/RS's you also get extra outputs. My compustar runs my tonneau cover as wells locks/unlocks/starts my truck.
But not the Ford Factory remote, which is what my assumption was. But good point, you won't need to carry both remotes at all. I didn't have factory keyless on my current truck. Even if I did, I wouldn't carry the factory remote anymore. The only thing I wish I had was the keypad.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:28 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
I lost the factory keypad use when I put on the factory remote with alarm system. If anyone else has done this and kept the keypad, let me know. I complained about it already but never returned to the installer to see if it could be fixed. right now the goddamn thing sets the alarm off everytime I put the code in.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:49 AM
mrc59
Tuned

You'll love it

My dealer installed a Ford "stickered" unit on my '04. Your price sound about right. It's fully integrated with the security system (door lock/unlock and horn alarm). It's a four-button fob (the extra being the remote start) that replaced the factory three button. I love it. I use it almost every day. It has incredible range too, because of the auxiliary antenna placed on the drivers A-pillar.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
I have one on my v10 that the original owner put on and works fine just have to use a separate remote. Not sure if it's aftermarket or not!?! No alarm or anti-theft - yet, but plan on it! I wish I had the door keypad.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 AM
taken
Senior User
Originally Posted by jasfaa
I lost the factory keypad use when I put on the factory remote with alarm system. If anyone else has done this and kept the keypad, let me know. I complained about it already but never returned to the installer to see if it could be fixed. right now the goddamn thing sets the alarm off everytime I put the code in.

In my research I found others with your issue. One guy found the right answer. He had the dealer reset the alarm to "dual entry" mode so the keypad won't set off the alarm, rather it will disarm it. It seems many dealers forget to do this when installing the Ford alarms.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Question