Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
New User

hobbeekid is starting off with a positive reputation.
2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive conversion

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbe here, I currently have a 01 f350 xl crewcab 6spd manual 2wd that I ordered brand new back in 2000. I wanted 4wd back then but I could'nt justify the cost of it at the time of ordering. So my question to you all out here in superdutyland is has anyone on this forum attempted a 2wd/4wd conversion? I considered finding a wrecked/burned/rolled, f250-f350 to get the necessary pieces.I understand that the 99 & up 250/350 series has two different 4wd type axels under the front end depending on the year, one is held in by leafsprings & the other is held by bars and coils.I would assume that the leafspring setup is the better way to go. Also, does anyone here know if the transfer case for the automatic bolts to the rear of the manual trans or does it take a seperate transfer case?I know it sounds like a awful lot of work& I just should buy a new truck.But just like in 2000 I can't justify the cost of a new truck along with mortgage besides I really like my truck it's been really good to me.Back in 2000 it was just lack of extra funds to make that inflated payment. So is this possible or is it just a pipe dream considering what used/wrecked f series trucks are worth? thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Postmaster

aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.
If funds are your justification, you will spend far more on converting it than selling it and buying a similar but 4x4 truck.

It is possible, but you will need $$$$.

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician

Current Vehicles:
2002 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT
2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic WS6 Trans Am Convertible

"Maybe is for those who lack skill"
Old 11-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Good questions. I guess the best place to start would be pricing all of the necessary components to convert it. Depending on what you can find in salvage yards, etc., it may be do-able. I've never tried it myself. I just ordered mine as 4WD when I bought it. Having said that though, as far as I know, all 1999 to 2004 F-250 / 350s were leaf sprung in the front end. The coils and radius arms started with the 2005+ models. There are a lot of these trucks and parts in the junkyards around here so I don't think finding the parts will be the problem. The biggest cost is probably going to come in the form of the labor involved. It depends on how much of the work you can do yourself.

To be honest, and others can chime in, you would probably be just as well off to buy a good used 4WD or trade yours for a new one. With the current offers from Ford, you can actually get a pretty good deal. I know what you're saying about the cost and mortgage, etc. It's a big pill to swallow. If you convert yours, you may spend a lot of time afterwards trouble-shooting problems as they creep up.

I'm guessing that you'd be better off to find a complete undamaged 4WD chassis and just swap your body, etc. on to it. By the time you get all of the necessary components (front axle, transfer case, rear spacer blocks, springs, steering gear, etc.) and then pay someone to install it and convert yours, you'll probably come out better financially.

Just my $.02 worth. Also, if you decide to convert your current truck, take some good photos along the way to post here for others considering the same.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Post Fiend

i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.
Theirs a thread in the 7.3 section about converting a 4x2 to a 4x4 and their was a guy that posted in the thread. He said he did it for about 9 grand.

2006 F150 Ext cab black (traded in on F350)

2001 Ford Excursion, 4x2, 6.8L V-10, 4" lift, 33" BFG A/T (Totaled, May 2009 RIP)
Old 11-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Senior User

swaybar is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
seen the guy on "trucks" on the spike channel do it to a jeep. he said the same thing though, a hell of a lot easier to buy a 4x4 truck.

1999-7.3 4x4 F350 SUPERDUTY LONGBED
"NEVER PAY SOMEONE TO DO SOMETHING YOU CAN DO YOURSELF"
BRIAN
Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
New User

PureDigtl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just my $0.02....

but it makes sense...if you had the time AND you could find a scrap truck with ALL the parts in good condition...AND had the available down-time on the truck...AND you were fairly mechanically inclined....You could do it in the winter. Been thinkin bout takin on the same project myself with my '03 F350. Bought when I lived in Cali....who needs a 4x4 in Cali??? Well up and moved to Michigan....snow really sucks...with weight and cnow tires....still have issues gettin in and out the house with all the steep hills around.

If I decide to take it on...I will be sure to post pics and progress updates..
Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Posting Guru

bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureDigtl View Post
Just my $0.02....

but it makes sense...if you had the time AND you could find a scrap truck with ALL the parts in good condition...AND had the available down-time on the truck...AND you were fairly mechanically inclined....You could do it in the winter. Been thinkin bout takin on the same project myself with my '03 F350. Bought when I lived in Cali....who needs a 4x4 in Cali??? Well up and moved to Michigan....snow really sucks...with weight and cnow tires....still have issues gettin in and out the house with all the steep hills around.

If I decide to take it on...I will be sure to post pics and progress updates..
Snow really sucks, come on, a lot of us Michiganders just take it with a grain of salt, sure is a lot better than earthquakes, and fires. And you have the spring, summer, and fall to look forward to.

As far as the conversion it would be an in adventure, selling and getting a 4WD is really the easy way out and there is an abundance of used trucks out there to pick from.

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 AM
New User

PureDigtl is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't mind the snow...I like the snow...just keep kickin' myself in the **** for not buying a 4x4 Without one...at least where my house sits...it sucks to drive in the snow.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Seems like this question is coming up about once a week lately.

What you might consider instead is a good set of tires, some weight in the bed and a locking differential. It'll cost less, be easier to install and will get you a great increase in snow traction.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Posting Guru

bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureDigtl View Post
I don't mind the snow...I like the snow...just keep kickin' myself in the **** for not buying a 4x4 Without one...at least where my house sits...it sucks to drive in the snow.
I live just outside of Detroit, must have had at least 10 inches of snow yesterday. My 2wd with the Michelin tires doesn't miss a beat, but I know if your out in the country that those roads and hills can be scary in a 2wd. There is no easy cure other than good tires and some weight until you decide to change it over or buy a 4wd. You never know after a couple of our winters you might become an expert and not need the 4wd.

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Senior User

tesserra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are all 2wd SD trucks coil spring front ends?
If they are, doesn't it make the most sense getting a 2005 and newer 4wd system that was set up for coil springs? If the springs mount in the same place this would save a ton of work. I guess all the bolt holes on the frames will be there for the conversion if you go to leaf spring anyway. The big advatage you might get is a lower mileage doner truck and tighter turning radius of the coil spring front end.
Good luck
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Posting Guru

mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.
The coil front on the 05+ years is completely different. All the frame attachments for 2wd come off the frame and new ones bolt on. You will need the leaf spring type for a 2001 frame. Transfer case is tranny specific, also manual shifter or ESOF, I would go manual, it is simpler to have the shift lever? you also have to change tranny mounts and cross beams, drive shafts, new axle, is specific for 250 or 350, the 350 has more splines in the axle shafts. So, ideally, you need a 1999 late model (with same motor options you have for correct spring rates) up to 2004, manual transfer case, manual 6 sp tranny, in an F350 for a donor vehicle. For the ideal donor, I would think vehicle auction or parts yard. Dont forget, you front axle must have the same ratio, as your rear, whats yours, a 3.73? What engine do you have, this will tell you what front spring codes you want, depending on engine weight GVWR package of your truck.

So, a trade on a local lot or a private sale of yours and a new vehicle seems more logical.
27 ' Jayco Jayflight TT
(old Truck, sold at 132,000 Km, 2000 F350 S/C 5.4/4 sp Auto XLT 4.10s )
Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Heck, if you can find a wrecked donor with the right cab configuration, just place your cab and bed on the donor frame. That would be a lot easier.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Posting Guru

You got that right Redford, change out the body and get on with life. Start checking out ebay and craigslist for a rollover. Here's a good search engine for craiglist, checks all the states listings for what your searching for.
site mash : : combined classified and auction listings
I use it for my cars all the time, pulls from craigslist and ebay.

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Elder User

whjco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
Snow really sucks, come on, a lot of us Michiganders just take it with a grain of salt, sure is a lot better than earthquakes, and fires. And you have the spring, summer, and fall to look forward to.
I've heard that there's only two seasons in Michigan - Winter and road construction.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2007, 2008, 2wheel, converison, conversion, convert, converting, drive, duty, excursion, f550, ford, super, truck, wheel