Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Freshman User

BSF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission upgrade

Will a 06 ford diesel auto trans bolt and work with a 01 7.3?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
The problem is the torqueshift tranny is computer controlled, and our computers are not capable of running them. If you want a bulletproof tranny, look into a BTS (brians truck shop).

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 11-27-2008, 11:03 AM
SUPER size it!

UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSF350 View Post
I haven't heard of anybody pulling this off. It would require MASSIVE changes to your PCM. The 5R100 transmission is completely different the the 4R100. It'd be a LOT better going with either a BTS or a John Wood tranny, either of those are far better then the 5R100 anyways

PAA #5
2000 F250 Crew Cab with a few goodies
Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Post Fiend

Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_There View Post
I haven't heard of anybody pulling this off. It would require MASSIVE changes to your PCM. The 5R100 transmission is completely different the the 4R100. It'd be a LOT better going with either a BTS or a John Wood tranny, either of those are far better then the 5R100 anyways
It would also be far cheaper in the end than trying to mate a 5R110 to a 7.3. Plus, if you manage to blow up a BTS (which he'll DARE you to do, BTW), it has a 2 year no matter what warranty, and a lifetime parts/labor warranty (pay only shipping to & from BTS).
Old 11-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Senior User

Meatco1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Much cheaper to rebuild with either John Wood, or BTS transmission. Both have outstanding warranties, and are near indestructible with normal driving & towing habits.

I seem to remember a JW tranny going into a 1300 hp truck last year.

Respects,

Richard
2001 C/C, 4x4, S/B, 3:73 L/S
John Wood Transmission
Tru-Cool
DP Tuner / No Start, 20/40/60 Tow, 80 Econ., 120 Race
AutoMeter 3 Guage, Pillar mount
6637 / Pete's Cover
Bright Box / Upgraded Headlight Harness / Euro Clear Headlights /Euro Clear Corner Lights
Defiant Lt Bar + 2 KC Pencil & 2KC Driving Lts
Fumoto
Coolant Filtration System
Old 11-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Elder User

Bigfwt04 has a good reputation on FTE.Bigfwt04 has a good reputation on FTE.Bigfwt04 has a good reputation on FTE.
what kind of price for a BTS?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Posting Guru

strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSF350 View Post

One thing nobody mentioned is if the bell housing on a 5R110 is the same?? I'm not sure if it is or not.

As for the controlling of the the 06 tranny if it did bolt up, you could use the same controller Jeremy (jtharvey) used when he destroked his ford.

I believe it's called a PCS - powertrain contol system. Or something similar to that. They run under $1000 I think, and everything I've heard about them is they are awesome!

If the bellhousing bolts up to the 7.3, then it could be done.

BTW - As others have said though, a John Woods or BTS trans would be a custom built alternative for your truck. They'll be in the $4000 range and more if you have it shipped.
97 F350 CC Dually psd auto; 38 gal rear tank, Electric fuel, AirDog, Hypermax I/C & Stage 2's, BTS HPOP, SD van turbo, Hydroboost, ARP's, 910's, SB pushrods, Swamps IDM, Tymar, Sound deadening on both sides of firewall, 6.0 trans cooler, SD tranny lines, SD engine compartment conversion, Gauges, HID's, other pretty stuff, ALOT of custom stuff - need BTS trans & bigger turbo
Old 11-27-2008, 09:30 PM
SUPER size it!

UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
^^^^ Huh?

PAA #5
2000 F250 Crew Cab with a few goodies
Old 11-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Posting Guru

strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_There View Post
^^^^ Huh?
To which part??

Here's the link to Bean's website about the PCS:

Beans Diesel Performance - Programmable Electronic Automatic Transmission Controller by PCS (Powered by CubeCart)

When doing a cummins conversion backed by a ford trans or even with an Allison tranny, these are used to control the tranny.

That's why I say, if the 5R110 would bolt up to the 7.3, then I'm pretty sure it could work. Use this PCS to control the trans instead of the factory PCM.
97 F350 CC Dually psd auto; 38 gal rear tank, Electric fuel, AirDog, Hypermax I/C & Stage 2's, BTS HPOP, SD van turbo, Hydroboost, ARP's, 910's, SB pushrods, Swamps IDM, Tymar, Sound deadening on both sides of firewall, 6.0 trans cooler, SD tranny lines, SD engine compartment conversion, Gauges, HID's, other pretty stuff, ALOT of custom stuff - need BTS trans & bigger turbo
Old 11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Yes, the PCS controller can "make coleslaw" if you configure it right, and i want one to manually control my trans with a joystick one day. Thats a future project... If it can be bolted up (destroked wouldnt have a problem making a 7.3->5R110 adapter plate) it can be controlled
Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Postmaster

That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfwt04 View Post
what kind of price for a BTS?
$4100 IIRC
PAA MEMBER #53
2003 7.3
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
$3900, plus a 6.0 cooler, fluid, tax etc, mine was $4601
Old 11-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Postmaster

That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.
The told me when I called in the begining of the year that as of the first they upped the price to 4100 plus all the extra stuff..
PAA MEMBER #53
2003 7.3
Old 11-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Post Fiend

Doesnt suprise me, with all the rest of the world raising its price.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
I asked the same question awhile ago, thinking yeah a 5 speed auto T/S would be nice.

I have known a few guys personally that have had these T/S trannies blow on them, and I would take a second to check that out before considering one.

I wonder if destroked wouldnt make an adapter for an allison tranny to go in there.

A good fist fight never hurts anyone... except my opponent.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:25 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2005, 4r100, 5r100, automatic, az, brians, bulletproof, f350, ford, price, problems, rebuild, sale, shop, transmission, truck, upgrade, upgraded