Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

Vehicle laws in BC

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
s.squared-39
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle laws in BC

I was wondering what some of the vehicle laws are for BC as we have thrown the idea fo moving there around.
Are there stiff emmisions laws?
All out of province vehicles have to be inspected?
What about antique vehicles? Inspections, emissions etc.

I have a 98 Dodge Caravan that I am not that attached to but would be worried about the 75 crewcab.
Any help at all would be appreciated.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 PM
mojoman
Senior User
any out of province vehicle will need to have a safety inspection...just a first response..)

mojo

Old 11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by s.squared-39
I was wondering what some of the vehicle laws are for BC as we have thrown the idea fo moving there around.
Are there stiff emmisions laws?
Vancouver and lower mainland require air care. I don't know how far from Vancouver it reaches. Maybe some of the Island as well. Most other areas I believe no.
All out of province vehicles have to be inspected?
Yes
What about antique vehicles? Inspections, emissions etc.
Can't help with that

I have a 98 Dodge Caravan that I am not that attached to but would be worried about the 75 crewcab.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Maybe check out the ICBC website. You may be able to find some info there.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
When we moved there from PA, we had to get our vehicles inspected. I didnt get my truck done though, I just kept sask plates on it cause it wouldnt have passed due to the exhaust system.

Pretty much anytime you move out of province you have to get a vehicle inspected. Sandis jeep had to pass aircare, and they aircare from the coast right up till the mountains from my understanding. To pass aircare they are fairly strict, and they should be down there (it can get really smokey and smoggy at times)We were near agassiz and harrison hot springs, and some buds I worked with from Hope had older trucks and they had to pass aircare. The one had an antique truck (mid 70s ford half ton) but I honestly dont remember what all he had to do to get antique plates.

Where abouts are you guys thinking of moving too? We would like to get a cabin or a house out near harrison hot springs one day, we liked it there in the summer!(with the exception of the smog)
On Edit: Icbc's website is pretty good, and you can cal them up and bother them, my woman did a whole ton of times before we moved out there!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 PM
s.squared-39
Senior User
We are thinking about the Williams Lake area. We were up there last summer and liked it a lot.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Come on over but leave that Dodge in Sask...........
You wont need aircare for the Ford around here but you have to get it saftey inspected.

The safteys no big deal unless its a real beater.
Winshields got to be good , lights etc .
Ive done a few and its mostly things that should work anyway.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Some places that do the inspections don't use alot of common sense when doing them. When we came back to BC my wife took her Exploder to a dealer in Grand Forks. It failed a ton. Of course they wanted to do the work.

I had a guy from Christina Lake do my truck. He was part of the group involved in bringing in the inspections. I guess it was a group of lawyers, doctors and mechanics. He said he thought the inspection idea was kind of stupid till he heard what the doctors and lawyers had to say. He let me follow him around as he did the inspection so I could see what he was looking for.

I say when you get to where you are going ask around and see if anyone is recommended.

Williams Lake is a nice area. I lived there for about 18 yrs. Still have family there so I get back once in awhile.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 PM
78 Supercrewzer
New User
I live in Langley, even with roadstar 43%, I still pay over 3 grand a year more in insurance than Calgary. Plus my 70 scj car that has old collector plates from BC, needs to go through the BS aircare to get plates again. My 96 Mystic cobra had collector insurance on it from day 1 in cowtown, but not in good old icbc corrupt BC. At least out of the lower mainland you don't need to throw your money away on aircare, and the highest insurance in north america is less in that region, Davde.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
ICBC is pretty cheap, I pay $1600 a year for my 1997 Mazda 626, including "extra coverage" for my peace of mind. Before that I paid $1600 a year for my 1977 Ford F250. If you get "older than 25 years old" plates on your vehicle(not sure if they are collector or vintage plates) you are looking at under $300 a year but you need to have another vehicle insured as your daily driver-be it pleasure insurance or work insurance.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Canadian98f1504x4
Junior User
There isn't any aircare inspections on Vancouver Island. Any vehicle on the road in B.C. can be made to have a safety inspection. The police or transportation inspectors can write you a inspection ticket. As for insurance I have a 04 F-350 diesel Crew Cab 4X4 and I pay just under $1200 a year for full coverage. I don't know about Williams Lake area but I do know insurance is a lot more expensive in the lower mainland fraser valley area due to increased theft issues.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:23 PM
pud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 78 Supercrewzer
I live in Langley, even with roadstar 43%, I still pay over 3 grand a year more in insurance than Calgary. Plus my 70 scj car that has old collector plates from BC, needs to go through the BS aircare to get plates again. My 96 Mystic cobra had collector insurance on it from day 1 in cowtown, but not in good old icbc corrupt BC. At least out of the lower mainland you don't need to throw your money away on aircare, and the highest insurance in north america is less in that region, Davde.
oh man you gotta be kidding me? Im getting raped here in alberta compared to what i was paying in BC.
My insurance in BC was $890/yr for basic coverage, thats with 1 impaired and 3 DUIs, and a schwack of speeding tickets. I paid $1500 for the same coverage here in alberta. Plus I gotta register my car every year for $65 (not in BC, its a one time deal there, $30 IIRC). I
f i want to buy a vehicle 10yrs old or newer it needs to be safety inspected here before i can register and insure it. In BC as long as its reigstered in BC you can put insurance on it.
In BC you can buy a one day permit easy as pie for around $20. In alberta you have a hard time finding anyone that sells 6 month insurance let alone 3 months or 1 day like you can get in BC.

So for all of you in BC hating on ICBC (I remember i used to) just remember its way worse in alberta.

I had to insure my vehicle before i registered it in my name and put plates on it...now growing up in BC like I did you can imagine what kind of state that put me in when i went to register a vehicle and they asked me for proof of insurance. lol. All you need here to insure a vehicle is a vehicle description, vin# and a price, and buyer/seller signatures. I bought one and the seller wrote me a bill of sale on some binder paper. I could steal someones ride and insure it with a forged bill of sale. Then as innocent till proven guilty they would have to convict me of GTA and forgery/fraud where it would be a case of he said vs she said. retarded.

alberta is teh suck! I miss BC, and sorry for the rant
I now love ICBC

Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Somebody told me that anything will pass aircare if you pour a quart of methanol in the tank. There's also some snake oil at auto parts stores that has a moneyback guarantee that it'll make your beater pass.

As for unwanted inspections, what seems to catch their eye is lights not working, and stuff hanging down. And, driving around with the grille (and headlights) missing, or a fender off are also really bad ideas, as I and a friend each learned.

Qualifying for antique or collector status is a gray area. According to the ICBC pamphlets, the vehicles must be stock except for safety improvements. However, I've seen collector plates on some vehicles that were modified inside, outside, and underside. Maybe you need to shop around for the right insurance agent.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Man Pud, by the sounds of it, we have things pretty good and cheap here in saskatchewan.

My 89 ford is 550ish to plate for a year, and my 03 superduty is around 950.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
I pay somewhere between $1100.00 and $1200.00 for my truck. The car and the mpv are somewhere around $800.00.

I remember when we moved to Alberta in 93 an inspection consisted of going to the police station with your registration and having them come out to check the VIN. If it matched the one on the regsistration you were good to go.