1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the most emabarassing day of my life...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
MissIndependent
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the most emabarassing day of my life...

would be yesterday: we got towed by a gmc. i wanted to die.

but anyways, here's the story: the friday part of our road trip was good. made good time, had fun, she did awesome, etc. dropped off jeep and parts, and we crashed for the night in pa.

we left (for the first time) on saturday afternoon. to make a long story short, i blew my front diff at 60 mph on i-81. the noise that made...i think my heart stopped for a second. we dropped the driveshaft and figured we'd just stay another night.

left for the second time on sunday morning- had her plugged in and then idling while we loaded. all good til about 15 miles down the road when she quit. no warning, nothing, just stopped. i guessed cps, made a few phone calls to verify (thank you, Neal!). the cursed thing did not want to come out but finally made the switch. still no go.

new theory is fuel issue. the fuel itself is ok; filter and bowl checked and replaced (again). sooooo...ideas?? i just had the fuel pump assembly replaced in may right before i bought her.

i got home at 11 last night, she is still in pa, and i'm having separation anxiety issues (again). i go back tomorrow to visit my grandmother, so i'm hoping to be able to somehow get her home at least

Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MissIndependent
we got towed by a gmc. i wanted to die.
Look on the bright side, thats the first good thing that GMC has probably ever done.

O.K. Check the under hood fuse #22, it goes to the fuel heater inside of the fuel bowl (and powers the IDM). If it is blown just unplug the fuel heater from the side of the fuel filter housing and replace the fuse and leave the fuel heater unplugged.

On the CPS issue, does the tact move while cranking? If not check the wiring going to the CPS.

I would not guess fuel because fuel issues usually have you going putt putt putt before it dies. Electrical issues are like turning off the key.

Last edited by plowhand; 11-25-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-25-2008, 07:04 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
It's probably the first time that (gmc) truck has been out of the shop...
You probably made the poor guy or gal who owned it feel like they actually owned a truck lol.
I have no productive comment towards your problem, sorry.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
x2 on fuse #22.....the fuel heater is not needed so unplug it either way

Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
x3 on fuse

Feel bad for the front diff. =\

Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
x4 on fuse #22 and fuel heater.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I talked with her this weekend I had her check fuse 22 she said it was good but had another fuse bad. Not sure which fuse it was. She swapped some fuses and it fired right up. That was Saturday. I never heard back so I assumed all was well. I hate to hear that it is still there. I guess you got some ribbin from your buddy huh?

So apparently after I talked with you it started acting up again and apparently you swapped the CPS. Hmmm. I know you taold me that the fuel bowl is ful;l so obviously you are getting fuel, atleast to the bowl.

this definately sounds electrical. Did you look at the UVC wires that plug into the valve cover to see if they are burnt or melted? YTou may want to pull the cover back and get a good look at the wires.

Next I would go under the valvecover and look at those wires as well. That would be a free check.

Next I might see if anybody has a spare IDM and swap it out to see if that fixes it. You could always remove the IDM and check it for water inside. That is common. It is jus 3 or 4 10mm bolts and a plug.

Before you do all of this recheck your fuses. Also do it with a test light or meter. Sometimes fuses are bad but still look good.

I may be heading up to NE Ohio which is near PA next weekend. I wouldn't care to haul you back depending on where you are and where you need to be.

Don't hesitate to give me call. You can reach me on my cell after about 3:30 today. Possibly earlier depending on how merry the boss is today. LOL

Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 AM
MissIndependent
Posting Guru
Leaving VA for PA in about an hour-ish...updates when i get there!!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
You got my work #, call me if you need.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 AM
jeepman4804
New User
all this trash talk about gmc...i have owned gmc's all my life and never had a single problem. i bought a '97 PSD, and i have not gotten away from the dealer for more then a week. spent more money on it in the month i have owned it on repairs then any of those old chevy's and gmc's. enough of my ranting.....hint hint, i think its you IDM, mine did the same thing...
clay

Old 11-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
One more question.
How did the front diff take a crap while you were driving?
Did you have it in 4WD or are the hubs locked in?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yea, if the front diff took a crap the truck might not roll forward to well, specially with auto lockers. They might say "free spin" even on manual hubs, but there is enough to move the axle a bit. Specially if you were dumb and put grease inside the lockout (not saying your dumb, just saying in general its a no no.)

Isn't there a deal for the glow plug setup that if it fails then the truck wont start, and stall out?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jeepman4804
all this trash talk about gmc...i have owned gmc's all my life and never had a single problem. i bought a '97 PSD, and i have not gotten away from the dealer for more then a week. spent more money on it in the month i have owned it on repairs then any of those old chevy's and gmc's. enough of my ranting.....hint hint, i think its you IDM, mine did the same thing...
clay
GMC's suck and break down just as much as every ford or dodge.
Take your pity party elsewhere.
I've owned em all and driven em all.
At least ford and dodge put an American motor in their truck. =)

Besides, you bought a truck that's how old? oh ya. 11-14 years old. Of course its going to have problems, just like every 11-14 year old dies.. oh ya. Chevy diesels around 95 were junk!

Man, don't be bringing that crap talk into this forum like that.

Then again, I'm not helping at all. =\

Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 PM
gtsom6
Junior User
I sent you a pm with my number in case you need a local hand.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 PM
jeepman4804
New User
it was no pity party, just added comment. take you no help response somewhere else. i still guess IDM.

p.s. age really does not matter, low mileage, all service records, all my other truck go 300k+ before i get another.

Quick Reply: the most emabarassing day of my life...