Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accidents in your truck, how did everthing turn out?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:59 AM
mgdemarco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accidents in your truck, how did everthing turn out?

Hi guys. I was driving around yesterday and almost t-boned a honda that ran a stop sign. After that I started to think about how well are older trucks will crash when they hit other cars or trucks.

I have a '91 and I have been lucky with no crashes. However, I'm curious if you guys out that have had accidents in the f150s from the 1980 to 1996 era. I know airbags were added in the early to mid 90s.

Anyway, I think this thread could be cool for some stories. Describe the crash that you were in. What year is your truck and what was the other vehicle in the crash. How did both vehicles look after the crash? Most important, how did the passengers in both vehicles hold up? Any injuries?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how our trucks crash...

Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
RJG1987
Senior User
going to school one day, this dumb (cute) bitch was hanging in my lane and i went to go around her and i kissed her equinox , a little ding in the chrome trim around the rear fender of the bed and a nick on her car that i could of fixed in five minuntes, went through my ins. company for it oh well , truck is fine, can;t even tell unless u dead look at it, no biggie

Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 PM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
95 F150 4x4,stock, nerf bars...

2000 accord...ran a red light

Honda T-boned my truck and rolled it onto drivers side

missed 5 weeks of work for physical therapy on my back...no idea other driver

totaled both vehicles

has anyone driven under your Ford, Lately?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:53 PM
DJdemon6696
Posting Guru
this is what happend...

my brother fell a sleep fell into a stone ditch head first. at 75 mph... thank god for seatbelts he only got some chest pain and a cut into his head.. this happend in 1998 1 year after we bought the truck

then here she is in 1999

been good to us untill we sold last month

Old 11-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 950 Likes on 754 Posts
I lost my '89 when I t-boned an idiot in a Probe that ran a stop sign. The truck didn't look too bad.. nowhere near as much damage as in the pics above, but the insurance company totaled it anyway. The impact totally caved in the passenger side of the car, but there were no injuries because that seat was empty.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
I rolled mine on my way to school tuesday this past week.
Got caught in a sudden snow storm, and i sam a line of cars ahead of me start sliding all over the place (we were going down hill) so i just barely tapped the brakes (truck driver behind me verified that) and it kicked the rear end to the passenger side (which was a hill going up from the road) then i was backwards going down the road but on the hilll if you understand what i'm saying, then i rolled it onto the roof into the road. I'm fine, just sore....

I didn't hit anyone, insurance isn't covering it since i only had liability, it is sitting out in the garage right now, just need to come up with some form of a heater so we can thaw it out and start tearing down for a rebuild. I started a thread called "Rebuild of Project Flareside""

Old 11-23-2008, 09:15 PM
fordguy300
Senior User
me and a friend were going from a mcdonalds parking lot back to a gandermountain..they conntected with a road inbetween this lady had her signal on to turn into mickey ds and i took that as the ok to go next thing i know i take off my truck just spun and sat there n she nailed me right n the front of the back wheel...pushed in the underside of my 87 but nothing big..totaled her new chevy cobalt...she was pisssssed to say the least hah live and learn...no one got hurt...i poped dent out on my truck on sights waiting for the cops..bent my wheel a little

Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't wreck it, but I bought my 95 F-150 in 2002 wrecked pretty bad, probably totaled. The guy I bought it from bought it from a salvage auction to fix up and changed his mind. It took a new front clip except the left fender, the right door, plus the frame was tweaked.

It had 108,xxx miles and was in perfect shape other than the wreck. It's been driven almost every day since I got it and has absolutely NO issues from the wreck...no major problems ever and it now has over 233K miles on it. I can't imagine ever finding a better truck.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 96 F150 was hit pretty hard while it was sitting in the road in front my house.

I don't drive my 96 in the winter months, from October to March each year she sits in her nice warm garage without a worry in the world. Well two years back my girlfriend at the time had her mom over to celebrate newyears. Her mom was staying with us for a couple weeks, and the whole time she threw a royal fit about having to park her car in the street infront of my house, because "her baby was getting snowed on".

I came home from work one day and my 96 (my baby) is sitting in the street buried in snow. My former girlfriend took it out of garage and left it in the street so her mom could park in our garage. I was mad about it, but I let it go, I figured her mom would be gone in a couple days and all would be well again.

Well a couple days went by, my poor truck that's never been driven in snow is now sitting out on the side of the road buried in it. We were sitting in the living room watching tv one evening and then there was a loud metal crunching noise outside. A idiot in a 88 extended cab ranger came flying around the corner, lost control, and slammed the drivers side of his truck square into the front of mine. Basically he managed to make my parked truck t-bone his vehicle.

heres the aftermath...

As you can see in the last pic he smacked it hard enough to push her back about 10-15 feet, the dry spot in the road is where the truck was originally parked before it was hit.

I didn't get a chance to get any pics of his truck before it was towed away. As you can see my truck took it pretty well. I needed a new bumper, bumper brackets, and fog lights, that was all. The cops guessed he hit her going about 25mph. It probably would have damaged her much worse if it was dry out, instead of absorbing the entire impact she just got hit and slid backwards on the snow/ice.

My truck kicked his truck's butt though. The side of his bed was caved in, the rear drivers side rim was folded under his frame, it busted his back window out and both windows on the drivers side, smashed his extended cab in pretty good, and smashed his drivers side door into the cab. I'm sure his was totaled.

I think the truck getting hit was for the better though. It was the first in a series of arguments that ended up ending the relationship between me, her, and her idiot family members. The truck is fixed, and I got a better woman now, it all ended up for the better.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well my truck is lifted a little with 33s on it and i reinforced both bumpers, i've hit 2 deer so far and neither one of them got up afterwards, i scratched the plastic in the front bumper and nothing else. i've been rear-ended by a integra, she went under my back bumper and the bumper went through her windshield and the back right tire went on her hood lol... tweeked the bumper a bit but i just straightened it out didn't tell insurance cause my rates would go up, some lady merged into my lane and clipped the front right of my truck again hit the reinforced bumper and over corrected her car and hit a curb, ran over the bumper of her audi, and again didn't report it to insurance. now i have a bit of green paint about the size of a quarter on my bumper lol so far my truck has been a tank, best thing i ever did was reinforce the bumpers

Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
OldRacerGuy
Senior User
I was one of the first people on the scene of a head on between a mid 90s F150 and a new BMW X5. Both drivers were doing about 60-65. Two of the three in the BMW were killed instantly, the third died within 15 minutes. The driver of the Ford had a badly broken leg, a broken arm and we barely got him out before the truck was engulfed in flames. I'd say the Ford did very well, all things considered...

Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
OK 2 trucks 5 stories ,
1st my 1991 f150 supercab 4x4, happed 3 days before xmas in 98 , they were doing construction widing roads. it was dark, red truck, 4 fogs on a push bar, cab markers all on. i was doing 45 mph thru a green light , and a older couple in a 80s cutlass serria turned dead in front of me. i broad sided them so hard that i flattened all 4 tires , buckled the roof, floor and 1/4s shattered all the windows . junk , used the jaws to pull them out of it , the f150, bumper hood , grille , rh headlamp and fender,

2nd ,1991 f150 , april of 99 i was turning left in a parking lot with a green arrow , i had a lady run the red with a subi outback wagon, nailed me dead in the rf wheel , totalled the truck, bent the axle and the frame took out the rf and the core support . the subi, well blew all the windows out , the pillars folded the front end literally came off the car

3 the 1996 f150 , was sitting at a light, a girl a dodge interpid tries to squeeze by and take out my glass running board, (the lund style) takes out here whole lh of the car , other than the board, truck was fine

4. train gates are down on a main road, i was a side road trying to turn out , looked twice started to go , then a guy in a chrysler pacficica pulls in front me, the chysler got 2 new passenger doors i got a new front bumper

5, my neighborhood has 90 degree turns in it, i was coming around one of them, a girl was coming at me with a galant, stradling the road , she didnt get over enough . i locked them up hoping she wouldnt hit me. well she did . lh vs lh side, i got another new bumper , a grille , the galant , well they should of totalled it. it took out the whole upper apron , fender, hood, windsheild, cracked the engine, trans and subframe and apillar

so , i look at it as as long as i dont ever get rolled over , i have a very very good chance of surviving a hard wreck in a fseries of that generation

Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Got rear-ended in my 84 F250 4X4. Was at a stop light, and the other person did not stop, he hit me at 40mph+. Was a big crunch and a push forward into the intersection(lucky no cars there), looked back to see a red hood folded around the rear of my truck and steam all over the place. Light turned green and I was going to pull off the road, but couldn't. The car went under my truck and lifted it off the ground by 2". I only got a scratched bumper and a dented 6" drop down reciver with 2 5/16' ball with alot of red paint!
The car was totaled as my drop down hitch and bumper wiped out the entire front of the car! Locked my hubs in and had the wrecker driver hold the car, and pulled the entire front of the car off. Took about a hour to get the car clip unhooked from the back of my truck! Also that car lost the engine as the drop down peeled back that fancy V6 inport engine top end....
What gets me, the impact was not bad at all, I've been jerked harder while pulling trees out and stuck chevys from mud holes!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:47 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
I was driving an 85 F150 5.8 HO, back in 94. I hit an oak tree that was about 2 feet in diameter at over 100. The tree was partially uprooted. The poor truck was totalled, but my friend and I didn't get hurt. Built Ford tough.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got ya all beat. I've had three big accidents with two of these F-150s and one is still alive.

Take a look at my gallery, there's pics of the last two...

First one a lady stopped too early for a crosswalk light and I was going downhill on a bridge in a storm and slid into the back of a ranger that was behind her. I tried to avoid him but, I was merging and didn't have enough space for stopping. I almost made it past him but I hit my passanger headlight to his driver taillight basically. I totalled his truck but mine only needed the parts on that front corner to fix it. It cost about $4000 I think to fix...

There were two of us in the truck and we were fine.

Then I was driving that truck taking a left and a guy ran the red light and t-boned me at about 50 mph. Luckily, the truck was lifted a little and he hit the frame of the truck instead of the passanger door. I had a passanger who would of been really hurt or killed. I rolled up on two wheels, did a 180, and came back down on all fours. Totalled the truck and the car, my passanger was ok after being checked out at the hospital, just a little neck pain.

Third was the truck I have now, old lady decided to make her left turn with me coming at her. I swerved into the next lane to avoid her but I couldn't and hit my drivers side tire into her hood basically. It destroyed the whole front suspension on that side, snapped the front pinion gear off at the yoke and bent the driveshaft. It bent the frame a little too. The truck took about $6000-$7000 to fix. Should have totalled it but they didn't. Totalled the other car though

I was fine, took it well.

I'm pretty impressed with how the truck handled all the accidents. I think if I rolled it I'd of wished the roof were stronger because I know it would cave in. The air bag didnt go off on any of the accidents, but none of them had a direct impact on the front bumper enough I guess.

Can't say anything bad....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accidents in your truck, how did everthing turn out?