Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Senior User

jesterdog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rough idle-'94 F-150 4.9L

Hi guys. My engine has been idling a little rough lately. Plugs, wires cap, rotor, fuel/air filter are less than a year old. I typically stay on top of the routine stuff. The truck accelerates great. I know the timing is good because I had to set it after replacing the pickup coil in the distributor. I ran some fuel injection cleaner through it, but it didn't seem to make a difference. This has been going on for more than a few tanks of gas. It is the same on both tanks.

I got to looking at the IAC. I need to measure the reistance on it as per the manual. I unplugged it while the engine was running and it did get worse. The idle started doing more of a rythmic surging up then down, then up then down. With it plugged in, it stablizes but is a little rough.

When I say rough, looking at the engine it seems to be perfectly smooth. The engine isn't bouncing. But, I can feel it sitting in the driver's seat.

Ideas anyone?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Post Fiend

6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterdog View Post

When I say rough, looking at the engine it seems to be perfectly smooth. The engine isn't bouncing. But, I can feel it sitting in the driver's seat.

Ideas anyone?

Your seat has Mexican Jumping Beans in the cushion.

Serious note, can you feel it in the steering wheel / breaks / accelerator?

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Posting Guru

Motorhead351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
disconnecting the IAC doesnt prove much, as if the engine was in perfect condition, you disconnect the IAC, it will run worse.

codes? codes that dont trip the CEL?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Elder User

stractor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Take a look/change at the gasket between the throttle body and the manifold. There was a bulletin about the gasket being sucked in and causing a vacuum leak. I don't recall the years the bulletin covered.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior User

Yeah, I think I'll remove and clean the throttle body. I sprayed carb cleaner all over the vacuum hoses and the TB but there was no change in idle speed. So, that leads me away from the vacuum leak path. Maybe it's a dirty TB?

thanks for the input. I'll post back after the TB service.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Senior User

Well, I removed the TB and cleaned it. Looks like the TB gasket might have failed. It is amazing how dirty a TB can get when only air goes through it. Also, the two vacuum lines that connect to the TB were comparable to old marshmellows. I replaced them as well.

Problem is resolved. It idles smooth now.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300

Tags
1994, 49, 49l, 94, engine, erratic, f150, ford, idle, liter, missfire, rough, running