hose routing diagram for '72 360

Old 11-21-2008, 05:17 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hose routing diagram for '72 360

Does anyone know where I can view the vacuum hose routing diagram for my 360. None of my books show this info. I am concernd with vacuum hoses coming from the carb (motorcraft 2100) and the air cleaner. I ask because I have hoses which are not attached. I feel better when everything has a place. If I'm in the wrong forum, please re- rout me.

Thanks,

zenmaster

Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
You might also want to ask in the specific year f-series forum. There was a guy in the '73-79 that would post diagrams, but he was banned a while back.

It shouldn't be TOO hard to figure out what you have, why don't you detail what you have now, and we'll see what you need. The air cleaner, does it have a flapper in it, and a hot-air intake going down to a cover on the exhaust manifold? If so, there should also be a coolant sensor/vacuum-switch on the intake to open the flapper once the coolant reaches a certain temperature.

Do you have an EGR valve? (probably not).

Old 11-24-2008, 11:31 AM
zenmaster
Senior User
Thanks for your reply Krewat,

I have a 1972 F250 with a 360. It has a 2100 carb, and the is no ERG. I have a black rubber hose which goes from a fitting on the underside of the air horn on the passenger side. It was plugged with a golf tee. I rebuilt the carb and would like to know if this is just an air vent for the carb, or does it attach to something. The engine seems to run fine with it just hanging there.

As to the air cleaner, It does not have a vacuum to open the snorkle door. It is the older style with a temperature sensitive metal rod. The hot air intake is missing as well as the shroud for the exhaust manifold. I understand how this is supposed to work - I'm just missing the parts.

I will take your advice and post this in the 67-72 section of the forum.

Thanks for your time,

zenmaster

Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
We have to wait for someone more knowledgeable about the 2100 to say what that fitting is for. However, just looked at my Motor's Truck Repair manual, and I see the port you're talking about.

It goes right through the top of the carb without touching anything else, and basically is a supply for filtered air.

What type of choke housing do you have? Electric? Or is it one of those with the "heat riser" where the tube goes down to the exhaust manifold and back up?

I THINK that port is for the "heat riser" type of choke, where vacuum is given to the choke housing, which sucks heat from the exhaust manifold through a tube, and the supply to that choke housing is that port in the carb's air horn, hence filtered air.

We'll see if someone else can come up with a better explanation.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
Krewat,

You are correct. It's the kind with the tube going down to the exhaust manifold, the back up to the choke. But the parts are missing... I'm going to check with Napa to see if they can fix me up with the correct parts. I'm going to post pics, if I can get my camara to work...

Thanks,

zenmaster

Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My question is why spend money that will not do anything except help engine warm up in extreme cold weather? If the hose was plugged coming from the air horn, the plug was doing nothing except keeping dirt out of the hose as that hose feeds vacuum to the air horn and when disconnected has no vacuum to it.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:10 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Actually, if that choke is still getting vacuum, without the other end hooked up, the carb is sucking in unfiltered air.

AND - worse, if the heat riser (I think that's the term) plumbing isn't there, the choke is just sucking regular air, not getting warm air when the engine is warmed up, so the choke won't shut off either.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
I think he is talking about the air horn valve, not the choke.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:32 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
Krewat and Bear,

Krewat is right, and while I agree with you Bear, the winter in Canada can be cold - cold enough to warrant having the choke system functioning properly. I'm also a bit **** about things not working as they're supposed to. So now the question becomes - where do I find these missing parts? I know the choke fitting is sucking in unfiltered air, and that can't be good. Plus, even with the engine up to temp, It won't kickdown to the curb idle - it keeps jumping back up on the choke cam as soon as I drive. Which means every stoplight I have to kick it down again. Annoying as well as wasting gas. I have all the catalogues I know of: Dennis Carpenter, LMC, BOTP, NPD, and none of them show the parts I need. Wreckers are few & far between up here, as far as I know.
Bear - I am talking about 2 sepatate but connected problems: first is the black rubber hose from the bottom of the air horn - it has no vacuum. 2, the fitting in the choke spring housing which does have vacuum. Sorry I wasn't clear about that!

Thanks for all your help,

zenmaster

Old 11-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Krewat and Bear,

Krewat is right, and while I agree with you Bear, the winter in Canada can be cold - cold enough to warrant having the choke system functioning properly. I'm also a bit **** about things not working as they're supposed to. So now the question becomes - where do I find these missing parts? I know the choke fitting is sucking in unfiltered air, and that can't be good. Plus, even with the engine up to temp, It won't kickdown to the curb idle - it keeps jumping back up on the choke cam as soon as I drive. Which means every stoplight I have to kick it down again. Annoying as well as wasting gas. I have all the catalogues I know of: Dennis Carpenter, LMC, BOTP, NPD, and none of them show the parts I need. Wreckers are few & far between up here, as far as I know.
Bear - I am talking about 2 sepatate but connected problems: first is the black rubber hose from the bottom of the air horn - it has no vacuum. 2, the fitting in the choke spring housing which does have vacuum. Sorry I wasn't clear about that!

Thanks for all your help,

zenmaster
Your best bet for parts is the junk yard. The vacuum to the air horn needs to either run straight to manifold vacuum or run thru a temperature switch then to manifold vacuum depending on what style of door mechanizum you have. The choke, which is suppose to have vacuum from inside the carb body. The line is suppose to run to a stove on the intake manifold or the exhaust manifold. The line is normally metal. I've never seen a filter on one.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:07 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
Ok, I'm not sure if they're up yet, but I've posted pics in the gallery. I cant find them though. Shots of the engine bay and carb. I can take more pics if need be.
Thanks,

zenmaster

Old 11-27-2008, 12:27 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
OK, the pics are now in my gallery. When i figure out how to post in a thread I'll show you what I have.

zenmaster

Old 11-27-2008, 12:45 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
This is the best I can come up with. I know it's hard to see, but there are two separate lines - one the black rubber line attaches to a metal pipe and heads off in the direction of the exhaust manifold. The second, line is visible leaving the bottom left side of the choke spring cover(this one has vacuum). I don't have any of these parts, and apparently they rust off or are removed for other reasons. I'm not sure why, but none of the parts places i've been carry these parts.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:49 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
here's the choke fitting:

Old 11-27-2008, 12:56 PM
zenmaster
Senior User
Heres the hose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hose routing diagram for '72 360