New breakthrough!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New breakthrough!

A new breakthrough in algae biodiesel: Inside Augsburg

It recycles the alcohol AND the catalyst,and produces NO glycerol! I'm going to order some zirconium today and try it in my lab!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Were do you get zirconium from?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is interesting reading...though I didn't have time to read the entire article. Some where on a biodiesel type of site I remember reading here very recently about algae is just another snake oil. I wish I could remember where I read it because I would have linked it here. I remember the author of the article made an open challenge to any group that can produce a gallon of oil (for biodiesel production) from algae he'd pay $500 for it. He made the comment that he became know as the guy that would pay $500 a gallon for diesel. He got me to thinking...before this was posted; has anyone made biodiesel from algae yet? On paper....algae using sewage water and CO2 creating O2, clean water, oil (from crushed algae)...the whole set-up sounds like a win-win-win combination. But Grandpa always said if it sounds too good to be true.........

Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Yes, it does work. http://www.valcent.net/i/pdf/2008-04-01_CNN.pdf

Why would someone with over 20 patents ( bio related) and over 5 million dollars invested care about some "nut" offering $500?

I was invited to Texas last year to see this process in action. It does work, and with more research will become a viable process on a large scale.

MIT is doing it right now! Algae - like a breath mint for smokestacks | csmonitor.com

Short video on the MIT system: YouTube - MIT Algae Photobioreactor

Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by willbd
Were do you get zirconium from?
Here: Zirconia (ZrO2, Zirconium Oxide) Powder, Superfine Grade

$58.60 for 2.24 pounds..............Not bad!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Yes, it does work. http://www.valcent.net/i/pdf/2008-04-01_CNN.pdf

Why would someone with over 20 patents ( bio related) and over 5 million dollars invested care about some "nut" offering $500?
Don, I figured you know for sure...thus the reason why I asked here and not some where else. My comment on the end of my last post was more of...it sounds too good, but until recently fuel/crude was so high that there was allot of pressure for folks like MIT to come up with a solution. Thank you for proving my Grandfather wrong on this one.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
how much pressure and temp in their reactor?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you going to try and replicate the Mcgyan process fabman? If so let me know how that goes. I'm a freshman in college pursuing a degree in biofuels and I'd like to keep up on the latest technology.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:44 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get a degree specific to bio fuels now.......cool.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:22 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 97biostroke
Are you going to try and replicate the Mcgyan process fabman? If so let me know how that goes. I'm a freshman in college pursuing a degree in biofuels and I'd like to keep up on the latest technology.
Sorry...........Didn't see this till now But yes, I've ordered the necessary supplies, and will be working with it, along with "electrostatic" glycerol separation, and a bunch of other projects...........

Once I've got it set up I will post my results here.

Scott, You can also get a PhD, and a Masters in Bio-Fuels from the University of Idaho! I go there quite frequently, and there are some GREAT minds there

Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Scott, You can also get a PhD, and a Masters in Bio-Fuels from the University of Idaho! I go there quite frequently, and there are some GREAT minds there
When I was in high school I didn't know what I want to do with my life...so when I graduated I joined the working world and became a productive member of society until I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I have a job currently that will become a nice career before it's all said and done. But a degree in Biofuels makes me wonder if maybe I should think about a change in careers. I don't beleive in Ethonal (it's a joke in the rear world IMHO)...but biodiesel I think is a viable answer to some of our problems.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
If I was 20 years younger ( I just turned 60) I'd do it in a heart beat! But that's just me...........

I see biofuels as the "new frontier", and people can be free of the need to buy energy from people that want to kill us.............That and it's really cooool!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
I agree completely. Ethanol is hog wash. Biodiesel is the way to go, and I see algae as the main feedstock in the future. Right now im just taking gen eds in college but I'm looking for a major university to transfer to that has a course in bio-fuels. Anyone know anything around the Illinois area?
Fabman- is there any articles on electrostatic glycerol separation? I've never heard of it before, so naturally I would like to read up and get a full understanding.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Here ya go; YouTube - High Speed, Glycerol Separation using High Voltage

I've done it in my lab, just like the video. I'm now building a set-up to try it on a continuous basis. It does look at this point that it may work for home brewers.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
That is quite interesting and i think I'll have to give it a shot. What all did you need to try it? A burner ignition coil to up the voltage, and how did you limit the amperage?

Search this Thread