Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Steering with 39s (final words)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 08:11 PM
Overkill
FTE *******
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people just don't get it so here goes one more time.....

BigRed, I am in fact proud of "specifically designing", building, and racing a number of exotic trucks. As an engineering student you should appreciate the time involved in designing such machines. Anyway, I was building long travel suspension systems over 10 years ago which the crawlers just recently caught on to. Suspension & chassis design philosophies apply to many different disciplines of "off-roading". You are trying to apply your interpretation of what an "off-road" truck is. What I'm trying to get you to understand is that there are different forms of off-roading.

Next, I didn't "drop off my truck", to be modified. I own 4x4 shop and do a lot of work myself. I've lifted more trucks in one week than you will in your lifetime. Just because you neither care or afford to do something to your truck, that does not mean that no one should do so. SSB was asking for assistance, not your opinion of something you have no first hand knowledge of. This board is here to share knowledge, not venom.

Now as for A&M.... Chill, I have upmost respect for the institution. My offense is taken to you disparaging it with your conduct and representing yourself as a member.

Please have respect for this board and it's members.

Overkill, 2000 X 4x4 Limited,V10, Black Monochrome, The Edge 12.5" Lift, The Edge Adjustable Track Bar, The Edge Monster Truck Traction Bars, The Edge Dual Shock Hoops, Bilstein 7100 Shocks (Custom Valved), ORU 7100 Dress-up Kits, ORU CrossOver Steering & Hydraulic Assist, High Angle Drivelines, 18/39-16.5 M/T Baja Belteds, 16.5x14 Weld Mountain Crushers, Crystal Head Lights & Corners, Trenz Billet Grill, ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 3000s, Billet Gas Cap, Kodiak Power Steps (4), Con-Fer Dif Covers, Go Rhino Trusses, 5.13 Gears, Superchip, Borla Exhaust, Volant Filter, BBK TB Spacer, Custom Dark Graphite Carpet & Headliner, Custom Black Leather Seats, Custom Molded Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Trenz Billet Door Sills, Weathertech Mats & Liner, Eclipse 7301 Multi-Media, McIntosh MC4000M, Focal Utopia 165W3 (2), Illusion Audio nd12 (4), Stinger Caps & Wires, Q-Logic Kicks, Custom False Spare Tire/Sub Enclosure

Old 07-12-2002, 08:14 PM
Overkill
FTE *******

Adam, I didn't start anything. I directly addressed SSB's questions with first hand knowledge. Not unfounded opinion. I can understand your aversion to Mickeys as crawlers seem to favor the K-Mart blue light special of tires, Swampers, which explains why you think all big tires ride bad.

Next, the Crossover Steering conversion ‘requires' replacing the right side steering knuckle and has been around way before the advent of the term ‘High Steer'.

FYI, I didn't list the specs for my ride for your approval. But since you are being judgmental, on what are you basing your expertise? "Try gusseting the axles yourself"? LOL!!! Try building a tube chassis with 36" of wheel travel along with scratch building axles capable harnessing a 1500hp 572cid and launching 30' in the air at 60 mph. Don't call into question my abilities son. The mods made to my truck serve a purpose. To display products available in my shop.

See here is the root of the problem. You and BigRed seem to think that if someone doesn't agree with you, that it is confrontational. What you seem to be missing is that your condescending tone is what started this whole mess. For many off-roaders, driving 2mph over rocks isn't their idea of fun. But that doesn't mean that we don't think you should do it. If that is your bag, more power to you. Just don't diss everyone else.

Again, this board is for the exchange if information. Not for insulting and putting people down. Try to keep that in mind.

Oh, and you might want to see a psychologist about that fixation you have with the word "gay".

---------------------------

Overkill, 2000 X 4x4 Limited,V10, Black Monochrome, The Edge 12.5" Lift, The Edge Adjustable Track Bar, The Edge Monster Truck Traction Bars, The Edge Dual Shock Hoops, Bilstein 7100 Shocks (Custom Valved), ORU 7100 Dress-up Kits, ORU CrossOver Steering & Hydraulic Assist, High Angle Drivelines, 18/39-16.5 M/T Baja Belteds, 16.5x14 Weld Mountain Crushers, Crystal Head Lights & Corners, Trenz Billet Grill, ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 3000s, Billet Gas Cap, Kodiak Power Steps (4), Con-Fer Dif Covers, Go Rhino Trusses, 5.13 Gears, Superchip, Borla Exhaust, Volant Filter, BBK TB Spacer, Custom Dark Graphite Carpet & Headliner, Custom Black Leather Seats, Custom Molded Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Trenz Billet Door Sills, Weathertech Mats & Liner, Eclipse 7301 Multi-Media, McIntosh MC4000M, Focal Utopia 165W3 (2), Illusion Audio nd12 (4), Stinger Caps & Wires, Q-Logic Kicks, Custom False Spare Tire/Sub Enclosure

Old 07-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Exerting one's right to voice their opinion on this forum is encourged.
It turns into a major problem, when people let personal insults & Profanity enter the equation.
That's when people set themselves up for dis-respect being returned then people have to be warned possibly suspended, & threads have to locked or deleted becuase of the fray.

Please .....Let's ALL keep the conversations in a respectable tone.
There are a lot opinions that can be projected in a responsible way.

[font color=red]Dennis

FTE Adminstration
[/font]

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/canada_flag_animated.gif

[link:www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html|My Website,"North Of The 49th"]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|Club FTE]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG
[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
64 1/2 Mustang Pre-World's Fair Car #8092
68-Mustang 289 2v-Sunlit Gold
[/font]

Old 07-13-2002, 02:06 AM
norulz
Senior User

[i]Adam, FYI... CrossOver steering is High Steer (a crawler term)[i]

Uhm, no actually
Crossover steering is a draglink that runs parallel with the axle... an example of your typical non-crossover would be the stock Ford setups on F250s/350s pre-1980, any GM up 'till 87, Dodge 'till 93 (all 4wd of course) etc etc...
High Steer is usually adapted from Crossover steering, the true definition of a high steer is the tie rod is mounted above the springs, on the top of the steering knuckles, you can still have crossover & not have high steer (just like your SD was stock)
It would be possible to do a high steer, and not do crossover, but I have no idea why anyone would want to.
Personally I have crossover but no high steer, I just don't trust the top of the steering knuckles enough to handle the pressure of the ram assist whenever I get around to installing it.

Old 07-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Overkill
FTE *******

Norulz,

I understand what you mean in theory. However the OE draglink setup on SDs is really not considered "CrossOver Steering" even though it does extend from the pitman arm on the left to the tie rod on the right. True "CrossOver Steering" attaches the draglink directly to the right side knuckle crossing above the spring. See: http://offroadunlimited.com/oru_crossover_steering.htm

Crawler companies such as Avalanche and Performance Unlimited recently began marketing a system where they attach the draglink to the right side knuckle with a long bolt through the tie rod. As ORU's marketed product name supercedes these they are more apply termed "Tie Rod Over Knuckle" steering.

As far as the durability of crossover steering, I believe you will find it superior. The knuckle is machined and a billet steel attachment point is both bolted and tig welded into place. These were specifically designed for trucks with 44s. And when adding hydraulic assist, which now attaches to the tie rod instead of the drag link, this give you 2 stress risers vs. 1.

I certainly understand the confusion, but I hope I cleared the fog a bit. :-)

Old 07-13-2002, 06:38 PM
bigredford04
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Jul-02 AT 07:39 PM (EST)]>Just because you neither care or afford to do something to your
>truck, that does not mean that no one should do so.

you have no idea what you're talking about...if you would read any other topics than ones where you try to prove to yourself how much better you are than everyone you would know that i'm in the process of doing an SAS on my truck w/ a D44 from a `78 F150 and putting 37"s on it...and [font size=3]NO[/font]...I [font size=3]CAN'T[/font] afford it but i'm doing it anyway.

Texas A&M Off-Road
`95 F150 4x4 5.0
33" BFG KMs

Old 07-13-2002, 06:56 PM
bigFAWKINranger

hmmmm.... NO... you started this whole mess bc you were offended by my dislike of Mickeys... and i did tell him that i thought the 39s would be a problem to balance and maintain, and that the ride quality would depreciate. that was a valid answer to a valid question... so it did not require your smart retort. i came here to learn, and to teach.
i don't see a disagreement as confrontational, i see it as open forum for discussion, which is why we're here- what i see as confrontational is ppl trying to call me out on the board. namely you. "since adam didn't address your question...."
i didn't take the time to go look, but i don't think i said "try gusseting the axles yourself." i think i said "try gusseting the axles." not to be interpreted as YOU DON'T KNOW HOW, but i meant THAT WOULD BE FAR SUPERIOR TO A TRUSS.
you didn't put that paragraph of mods for my approval???? then why the heck bother listing em? its like a fat chick in a thong... if you're gonna make it public, i might just make fun of your jiggle... :^) sorry dude. i said i liked some of it... but yes as a crawler i have little respect for the BILLET GRILL clad Z-71s of the world. i think that type of along with the crystal light inserts are best left to the FAST AND THE FURIOUS rejects and their hondas.
you don't like swampers... so be it... i'm not a huge fan either... i wouldn't mind a set of boggers for trail use only, but i intend to run 37" bfg KMs.
here's the bottom line and i tried a day or so ago to put a civil end to this, i build for functionality and have no desire to buy cosmetic accessories. you build for a different media of off roaders... so be it. i have no desire to waste my time arguing back and forth with you... whats the point? we're wasting board space. and i don't think i have attacked anybody... have i? be careful not to lump me into a common group bc of my friends.
as for my use of the word "gay"... thank you for your diagnosis... but us YOUNG PEOPLE these days pretty much refer to things we don't like as gay. so you see its not uncommon. i appreciate your concern for my sexuality though.
now that thats all through, i will make an effort to diffuse all of this..... i will not respond to another vilifying message regarless of what is said... its not why i'm here. my first beer tonight goes to overkill... accept my offer or do not... i assure you i'll sleep as well either way, but we might as well help one another.... good day.

I suggest the profanity End NOW!

FTE Adminstration

Old 07-13-2002, 10:27 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

>
>i don't see a disagreement as confrontational, i see it as
>open forum for discussion, which is why we're here- what i
>see as confrontational is smart *** ppl trying to call me
>out on the board. namely you. "since adam didn't address
>your question...."

HA! hypocrite!

Old 07-13-2002, 10:53 PM
Overkill
FTE *******

Ok guys. I came here (as you I suspect) A. Because I love Ford trucks. And B. To help people who might just benefit from my Mistakes as well as Successes. Like I said, crawling isn't my hobby of choice BUT, I have respect for the engineering that goes into building a purpose built vehicle such as that. I don't put down any form of trucking be it bogging, hill climbing, desert racing, monster truck racing, or even show trucks. It doesn't do much good for me to fab too much for my truck If I'm going to have to tell customers that I can't do that work for them. Fabing suspension parts for retail is an express elevator to the court room and poor house. At the same time a primered beater truck doesn't sell parts either. But hey, I'm not here to defend my ride.

Adam, I really do understand where you are coming from. I accept your peace offering and hope that you understand that it was not my intension to attack you. BigRed, good luck with your project and Adam, have a few cold ones for me and see you guys on the trails. ;-)

Overkill, just an X

Old 07-18-2002, 01:44 AM
norulz
Senior User

>I certainly understand the confusion, but I hope I cleared the fog a >bit. :-)

uhm... sure
I think I'll avoid a tech discussion with someone that seems to have learned their information & terminology from an ORU catalog.
When I explain something, I try to show reason why something works some way, or is called what it's called... about all I got from you is a because that's what ORU says it's called.

Old 07-18-2002, 05:21 PM
Overkill
FTE *******

Norulz,

The hostility within this forum absolutely amazes me.

FYI, I learned my information from years of professional hands on engineering, construction, and installation (i.e. not weekend tinkering). Please, I invite the "tech discussion". Based on your definition of "cross over steering", would a 80-96 Ford drag link be considered "cross over steering" simply because there is a link between the pitman arm and the knuckle? Furthermore, how would you have me reference ORU's steering system in a manner other than it's marketed name (which also happens to be descriptive of its purpose)? You are essentially ‘arguing' over what ORU decided to name their system over a decade ago. No matter how you "try to show reason why something works some way, or is called what it's called" it never the less Is what it Is.

So, in keeping the hostile and argumentative tone of this forum... Why would someone of your vast knowledge suggest that hydraulic assist would be mounted to the draglink if you switched to "high steer"? Please don't suggest that it's to keep the lines safe, as you are apparently planning on mounting them to your current "tierod over knuckle" (i.e. cross over steering) set-up. And, why do you suggest that one stress riser is superior to two?

It appears that this forum is simply not an environment conducive to the exchange of ideas. There are too many people who are just looking for a reason to be offended rather than possibly educate or learn.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:18 PM
rockin_in_ford
Freshman User