Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maaco bed liners and paint job? Tonneau Cover?

Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM
jcascio
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maaco bed liners and paint job? Tonneau Cover?

I have a 66 F-100 that needs a paint job. I'm thinking of having it done at Maaco; and also having them do a pour in bed liner. After that I'm planning to put a tonneau cover on it. Does anyone have any experience - good or bad - with Maaco, bedliners, and Tonneau covers???

Old 11-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maaco, is great if your budget doesn't allow for a more detail job; I recommend stripping it down (remove bumpers etc) to allow a better coverage. They add acouple bucks to shoot inner stuff like door edge & hood area. I didn't know they had a bed liner capability. I had mine sprayed with a Speedliner product (65 in my gallery). If your bed is solid and no major flaws I recommend just painting it with paint, once a bed liner is roll or spray there's no easy turning back.
Bed cover is cheaper & looks just as good as with or without it cover in my opinion.

Mitch

Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maaco can do decent paint jobs, but they seem to be inconsistent. I've seen paint applied too thin, and I've seen really nice jobs. However, the bodywork is what it's all about. If you don't have good bodywork no matter how good the painter it will look like crap.
Maaco single stage paint in a factory color (not the el cheapo, lowest cost job they sell which is awful) runs at least $600. If you want clearcoat, double that.
If this is for a 'working' truck that just needs to be all one color and looks good from 5 feet away, there is another alternative. You can paint it yourself for around $200 all inclusive, without a spray gun or compressed air source. More labor intensive (lots of sanding) but you get to tell people you did it yourself and they won't believe you. A 1962 Ford Falcon Recieve A Budget Paint Job - Hot Rod Magazine
Home
Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair
Check out the links within these links for even more info.
Yes, it's for real. I've done it myself.

One caution on the bedliner: make sure you remove the bed mounting bolts before it gets applied. Trying to remove the bed bolts after the stuff hardens is near impossible should you ever need to pull the bed.

Last edited by ddavidv; 11-17-2008 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added bedliner comment
Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
jcascio
New User
Thanks. Tonneua cover?

Thanks so much. Really appreciate the advice! What about a cover? The people I talked to at Tonneau say they don't make a cover for the '66.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good question; I've seen a few with after market covers. Never ask where they bought it or if modification where needed.
I plan on covering my 64 swb with marine grade vinyl. My bed floor is shot, I've done several using this type cover, I use 1" L shape angle iron on the inner side rail, then use pressure treated plywood as base with 1/2" foam then cover with vinyl. The tailgate sort-of-locks the cover into the bed rails. Cheap and easy to do.
Just to give you some though....

Mitch

Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Hakk
Senior User
My understanding is that Truxedo (one of the sponsors of this web site) will do a tonneau cover to fit the early Fords. I don't know how much, though.

I've done the Rustoleum and rollers paint job and it's cheap but a lot of work. I had some trouble buffing out the paint, but I ended up with something that was good enough (I was happy with it) for less than $200 including the tools I bought.