2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F-150 Slide in Camper Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Kilted in the OC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F-150 Slide in Camper Restrictions

Since buying my truck a few weeks ago, I have been trying my best to get a good answer regarding the "recommendation" by Ford to not use a "slide-in" camper on this truck model. The truck has a 4.2L V-6 with a manual transmission, and has a 126" wheelbase. The salesman at the local RV dealership said that his info showed that we could fit a slide-in with a 6' box into the bed with no problem. The total dry weight of the camper is less than 1600 lbs, and wet weight doesn't exceed 1900'. Weight limits over each axle is stated as 3500lbs in the truck manual. GVRW is stated as 6500lbs.
Does the problem have to do with the center point of concentrated weight? What is the issue here? I don't know who to trust, the RV dealership or the provided information from the Ford dealership. Any help would be very appreciated.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 PM
HankMurphy
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I looked at the 2009 Towing Guide on the Ford web site. They only approve a camper for use on an F-150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (8200 pound GVWR). I think the 2008 towing guide says the same thing.

You will get some more detailed answers in the FTE Towing forum, and I would suggest posting there for more experienced answers.

I'm assuming that you have an XL. I have the same configuration as you do, except with the automatic.

The first thing to do is to weigh your truck with you, a full tank of gas, and whatever items (tools, spouse, beer, et cetera) which you normally carry in the truck on a trip. This gives you the curb weight.

Subtract that figure from 6500. That's the heaviest camper you could carry. It will probably be under 1600 pounds.

There are some other considerations besides GVWR: axles, center of gravity, tires, powertrain, cooling, and suspension. The Ford camper package includes stabilizer bars, and I'd suggest adding accessories to match the capability of the Ford package on the F-250.

The truck we have is a good choice for light utility hauling and towing, and that's what I will be doing with mine. These are good basic trucks, but a slide-in camper is pushing the capability of a base F150 a little too much.

In this case, I'd believe the dealer, or at least the Ford towing guide.

Good luck,

Hank Murphy
2008 F150 XL