Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Radio wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio wiring?

Does anyone have a schematic of the wiring for the plugs on the back of the radio? I can't find anything about it in the Chilton manual. The radio I have really doesn't work at all and I have another Ford radio, but the plugs are different. I also have one I took out of my semi truck that is nicer than the stock ones. I have no problem rewiring everything, just need to know which wires to connect where.

I've got more questions about the little truck, few more issues, figured this should be the easiest to fix.
Thanks!!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Army_Dave
New User
Your best bet would be to apend the few extra dollars and get an aftermarket wiring harness adapter. It mirrors the factory radio harness and gives you pigtails to wire up an aftermarket radio. from there the harness adapter and aftermarket radio wire harness will be plug and play by color. red to red yellow to yellow and so on. Much less painful, and give you much more room to work as you can wire the two harnesses up outside the truck and simply plug them in when you're done. Take it from me, I bought my 86 with an older aftermarket kenwood and when upgrading the deck, i was hoping to find a harness adapter, alas there wasnt one, who ever installed the kenwood cut the factory wiring which i never recommend doing. If you absolutely need the info, I am digging back into the dash this week to run upgraded speaker wire for my new speakers and i can get the color codes for you . also it the model would have a say in it too soem came with indash amps and some didnt. That may be a difference too- Dave

Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if the color codes changed year-to-year, that info might be helpful. I can't remember if the online repair info on autozone.com has the wiring harness info for the radio, and not sure if there is info in the tech info forum on here. I'll have to see if I can find it elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Where do you find the adapter harnesses? I'll agree, it didn't look like fun trying to cut and splice wires in the dash, so the adapters sounds like a great idea.

I just put an aftermarket radio in my Kenworth, it was way too easy!! I just cut the plug from the old radio and then spliced in the new one, wire colors matched, it wasn't suppose to be that easy!

I checked the autozone.com site, from what I found, it's basically an online Chilton's manual, looked exactly like what I was looking at in my manual.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I did some calling, I guess I have the factory amplifier and since the plugs for radio are different than anything else, there isn't an adapter harness available. I may just be rewiring the whole thing.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
1987 Bronco II radio with premium sound.

I suggest putting insulated 1/4" female connectors on the Ford side of the vehicle and the new radio gets male.

lb/r + ins. panel
lg/y main light switch
y/bk - main power from fuse panel radio
o/lg +speaker
pk/lb - speaker
w/lg + speaker
dg/o - speaker

radio to amp
pk/lg
pk/lg
bk/white
o/lb ?

amp
----------
y/bk - main power from fuse

db/o + speaker
lb/bk - speaker

w/pk + speaker
pk/lg - speaker

Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm. I don't think mine had the external amp, but I was able to buy the adapter harness pigtails to plug-n-go.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
drpepper
Freshman User
you can buy the wiring harness at just about any car stero place, and the tech should be able to tell you how to hook up the harness with the factory amp, can`t remember exactly how it hooks up but i know it is possible i did it in my 90 bronco II and my 91 & 93 explore which all have the factory amp.