6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Unbiased Consideration?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
bczolone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbiased Consideration?

First off I've been here for a while and have gained a lot of knowledge and help that I truly appreciate. I thank all of your help over the years and hope I helped a few.

If you were in my shoes; see my post "...thanks Ford" and were somehow able to replace your beloved, yet bittersweet, truck, and a Diesel were the requirement what would you be looking at that could be had with low miles and still be put under warranty.

Requirements are diesel, 4x4, and crew cab.

Most of my friends drive diesels and I do have their insight into all three. I know a 7.3L would have been ideal, but now they all seem to have too many miles. I also was trying to figure out when Dodge started adding the exhaust brake as a factory option; I drove a 2004 stick with this and it was a good option to have pulling a goose neck cattle trailer.

Fact is I see nothing that floats my boat but I will need it unless I want to quit traveling and pulling the trailer.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:14 PM
danocross
Senior User
I am no expert on other diesels, but a guy I know just bought a crew cab 1T Dodge, and he loves it. He pulls a big 5er, says he is getting "very good" mpg, and it is really quiet for a Cummins. Bought it new from Dave Smith Motors for around $33K! But it does have the smaller crew cab...

Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 PM
heavyiron
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no one "right" answer to your conundrum. Ultimately it will come down to what you perceive to be a good value and what you like or dislike about each truck.

Each one has its particular strengths, and each one very definitely has its weaknesses. I have friends and associates that drive all three- the Chevy has a great motor and tranny, but a crappy front end, the Dodge has a Cummins, but I think the 5.9 was better and it's quality is sometimes questionable. And bot the Dodge and GM look weird unless you put bigger tires and a lift on them. Which leaves the Ford, which IMO is the best of the three. Why? Because it may not have the best of anything, but it does not have anything that I would consider as being bad enough to buy one of the other makes. It also helps that it looks pretty good stock !!!

This of course is entirely my opinion. You and many others may totally disagree.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:10 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyiron
There is no one "right" answer to your conundrum. Ultimately it will come down to what you perceive to be a good value and what you like or dislike about each truck.

Each one has its particular strengths, and each one very definitely has its weaknesses. I have friends and associates that drive all three- the Chevy has a great motor and tranny, but a crappy front end, the Dodge has a Cummins, but I think the 5.9 was better and it's quality is sometimes questionable. And bot the Dodge and GM look weird unless you put bigger tires and a lift on them. Which leaves the Ford, which IMO is the best of the three. Why? Because it may not have the best of anything, but it does not have anything that I would consider as being bad enough to buy one of the other makes. It also helps that it looks pretty good stock !!!

This of course is entirely my opinion. You and many others may totally disagree.
Very well said and I couldn't agree more. Ford, Dodge, and GM make very capable trucks. It comes down to a personal preference. There are horror stories about all three if you look hard enough. There are also great experiences reported constantly. Consider your needs and look at the capability of each of the trucks. I have likes and dislikes with all three but being a lifelong Ford man, I personally chose the F-250 when I bought my truck. It does everything I need it to do and when I ordered it, I purposely overbuilt it for my specific needs. The most I tow for any duration is around 10,000 lbs. but I like having that extra cushion that was built into the truck.

I personally won't down other brands because they are capable trucks and everybody is entitled to their opinion and to drive what they want. Before I ordered my truck, I went out and looked at all three brands, drove them, and researched them.

If you're looking for a used truck, look on some of the sites like AutoTrader and Ebay. Occasionally, you can actually find low mileage 7.3 trucks for a decent price. It just takes a while because they are getting harder to find.

Just my $.02 worth.

John

Old 11-15-2008, 06:47 AM
ingman
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I bought the f350 it's over built for my needs to, (just like Powerstroke72 said) I looked into all three when I bought it. my needs where this.
Ineeded the bigger back seat. The Dodge four door was a big problem for me I have three boys and most of the time one extra kid when we go places so space was the factor that ruled out Dodge.
The Chevy was just to much money for my buget. All the used Duramaxes I was finding had been drivin to death and were over priced. So I have my Stroker and so far I have been very happy with it.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM
philipsc1
Junior User
I agree with HeavyIron...there is no right answer. It's a decision that you have to make after researching your options.
My opinion.... I've driven chevys all my life. But when I started pulling 10,000 lbs plus, my gas chevy just wasn't up for the task. I started looking at diesels and the chevys were way out of my price range. Even used was too much or too many miles. I drag race and alot of guys that I race with have Fords. They never seem to have too many probs. And I fell into the truck I own now. All manufactures have their problems. I know that. And I know that there always seems to be that one "problem child" every once in awhile in all 3 manufactures. Sounds like you got it. But don't let that steer you away from Ford. Maybe just move on to another one. As long as your getting good service at the dealers and they are willing to help you. I'd say service is what it comes down to, no matter which truck you buy. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 PM
bczolone
Elder User
Right now I agree with you guys and I chose the Ford for the above reasons too...they want me to trade mine in on a 6.4L...they are sweet inside...and a Lariet is less than I paid for my XLT...but are they problem free?...or problems freer?

Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my 06 SD. but If I had to replace it with something other then a FORD, Id most def. find an early '07 dodge with the 5.9