Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

'58 F100 Resto Project

Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'58 F100 Resto Project

This is my '58 F-100 that I have been working at for about 2 years. I have the whole drive terrain for the most part is done besides a few things to spruce up yet. I have been looking into having body work done but I would like to find a parts truck or a rust free cab. My cab is just too far gone; I was quoted 18k for body work without the cost of parts. My box is probably as clean as it will get beside the few dings and the very little rust bellow the tail lights. The front fenders need a little patching up nothing to serious.

The motor that I will be putting in this truck is a 239cid V8. I had the 272 motor that was in this truck taken to a place to be rebuilt (not sure if it was the original). They called me after about 3 weeks and said that one of the main bearings on the block has a hairline crack and they will not continue working on it. They also said that one of the caps themselves was busted into pieces and in the years they have been rebuilding motor they never seen one busted like that. It was even on a different cylinder from the one that had the hairline crack. I then striped down a motor that my dad had and turned out that one was junk because it was bored over as far as it could. I went to an auto salvage yard and the owner said he had a 292Y block at his house and said that I could have it for $250. So I said yes and brought it home stripped it to the bare block took it in to be rebuilt. They called back and said it was a 239cid and asked if I still wanted to continue. I said yes not knowing that the parts will cost a fortune more than if it was a 272 or 292. If I could do it all over again I would have said no and look yet for a third engine. My transmission was also rebuilt last year.<O></O>
<O> </O>
I did drive the truck for about 6 months and I enjoyed driving it during that short time. I know lots of people convert their truck to power everything I am not going to do that. I like the feeling of having to push the brakes harder and turning harder. My plans for this truck are to make it close to original as I can. I am not even going to swap out the old drum brakes for disk brakes. As for paint I am going to do the same color scheme, the two tone blue white, just not the baby blue. My dad has a ’56 F100 and also a ’55 F100 that I will post pics. of later, here’s my truck though.<O></O>

this is my 239cid was thinking of painting it different now, more of an original era type color.

this is when we pulled the cab off

this is what she looks like right now

this is a small hole that I had in my frame, its been all patched up and fixed

this is what my drive terrain looks like as of right now

here's my tranny and some other misc. parts.

here's a pic of it starting up for the first time in a good 12 years or so (notice all of the smoke).

Old 11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,768 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Cool truck. In high school I drove a 1960 short wide F-100 custom cab with a big back window that had the same paint scheme as your truck. I loved that truck.

It had rust issues also, when it rained outside I got water marks on the inside of the doors....lol. You might drop into the 48-60 forum, there is alot of guys with the orphan year (57-60) or "frigerator" trucks over there that might be a big help to you.

Bobby

Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Yea it's like the closer and closer I get to finishing this truck the more and more I am dying to drive it.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM
78_4x4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very cool. good luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 PM
jay54f100
Senior User
that is very cool and wil be a great project.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Lariat#1
Freshman User
You wouldn`t need an NOS horn button for this truck?? I have a white one in the box sitting on a shelf.
Lariat#1

Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Yes I could use one of those. I think mine has one of the tabs broken on the back side. Mine also has the white paint on it, I think the paint is almost gone though.

Thanks for the replys

Old 12-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Lariat#1
Freshman User
I`II send you a picture of it after work today. I need your email address to send to.
The price is $60.00 shipped. It NOS still in the box it came in.
Thanks,
Terry

Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What a cool looking Orphan, make me wish I've never sold my 59 lwb 4x4. But I love those short box Orphans better... Can wait til I can afford another one.

Mitch

Old 12-26-2008, 02:27 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same colour scheme as my friend's '57 shortbox Styleside, but his has been repainted several times over the years. That looks like original weathered paint.

Maybe it's time to buy a MIG welder and some patch panels and do the bodywork yourself.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lariat#1
I`II send you a picture of it after work today. I need your email address to send to.
The price is $60.00 shipped. It NOS still in the box it came in.
Thanks,
Terry
I am really sorry totally forgot about this

Originally Posted by Customcab
What a cool looking Orphan, make me wish I've never sold my 59 lwb 4x4. But I love those short box Orphans better... Can wait til I can afford another one.

Mitch
it certainly is a unique looking truck for it time

Originally Posted by angus
Same colour scheme as my friend's '57 shortbox Styleside, but his has been repainted several times over the years. That looks like original weathered paint.

Maybe it's time to buy a MIG welder and some patch panels and do the bodywork yourself.
Looks like some amatures repainted my truck to.

Thought about getting a welder but I think it would be more stressfull on me doing it myself. Plus it probably wouldn't get done then. In my opinion it would be easier to keep looking for a cab and when I find one I can jump back into the project again. The whole bottom 1/2 of the cab is virtually gone.

Plus with my welding skills it would be a very weak and scary cab to be riding in.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM
NorminN.B.
Senior User
Is there any more to this build or did I miss something. Thanks

Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Sorry it has taken me so long for me to update this thread kind of forgot about it.

Here's what I did over the weekend. Put the new torque converter in the tranny and then bolted it up to the engine. I then was able to drop them both in the frame of the truck after almost exactly 4 yrs. After that I cleaned and put the steering column in because of all the weight and the sucky fat tires.

I did a few other small projects for the pickup as well.

I also put the 2 halves of my Craftsman toolbox together for the first time in about 2 or 3 yrs. It's now sitting where the engine has been on the engine stand for the last 3 1/2 yrs haha.

Enough chit chatting here are a few pics!!! Enjoy

Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Great pics and the project is looking great. Looks like you must have decided to do the body work yourself or is that a body shop job on that cab?

Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Great pics and the project is looking great. Looks like you must have decided to do the body work yourself or is that a body shop job on that cab?
Nope all the body work is being done at a body shop. To be honest I am to afraid to do it myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '58 F100 Resto Project