General Automotive Discussion

What would you like to See on the New F100?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
devja71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd love to see it re-70'd as much as possible, chassis equivalent to an early bronco, straight axle hi-pinion and simple(mabey cable-operated outboard hubs an idea) d44 w/e-lockers, long radius arms, mabey good quality coilovers this time around. 4.6 v8 fine for me, improve mpg as much as possible, try to reproduce the growly sound/super quick throttle-response of the early windsors (zero hang time), please god stay with the leaned-forward styling and squarish rear half of the cab w/the familiar ford rear window (i realize some ppl mabey sick and tired of it-not me, EVER). round the front of the truck yes but pls keep it kinda square on the rear half. -to put it simply- bring back the 70's frame/chassis with nice coilovers, a good mod motor and a good e-transfer case w/neutral. anyone's guess as to the seating arrangement and interior options is fine-there's some good suggestions already listed and i feel most new vehicles now have nice interiors. 9in rear sounds good, but even twin dana 44's is fine w/me. full-floater d44 rear axle is my choice

Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
devja71
Senior User
simple. i like the 04-up f150 styling ok, just shrink it a bit not too much, and put the new body on a revamped 70's style early-bronco sized chassis. 4x4 straight axle hi pinion 44 front, d44 full floater rear. manual or outboard cable operated hubs (t-handle inder the dash) new mod-motor that's EASY TO SERVICE AND FIX, try to reproduce the growly sound/quick throttle-response of the early windsors, make an effort for better mpg (yes i'm not asking for 100mpg but TRY ANYWAY). ford already has AND had the goods, just take the best over the years and roll it into a nice mid-to-full sized truck it should be easy for ford to do if they can hack thru the politicians. this day and age it might be wise to shove the politics aside and just give truck owners what they REALLY want instead of paying the media to dictate what ppl want (ford was never bad for that anyway tho unlike some auto companies). one nit picky thing- the shape of the side windows on the new trucks look un-finished at the rear part they're just a straight line from top-to-bottom, likely to easily accomodate rear windows on a crew cab w/o having to change the original doors (97-03). that's ok if it had more of a nice-flowing style. it's hard to explain, but when i sit in an 04-up it feels like the rear of the side windows has a chopped-off feel. that's just me. anyway, ford has better potential to build a great pickup than anyone, i just hope some designer fully utilizes it.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Ed_B
Senior User
Use one of those computer morphing progams and build a cross between a Ranger and an 80s F250. Square it off in front and in the back, round the edges slightly, Dana 44s front and back + locker in the rear, 33" tires, 6-spd. manual trans, and an updated 4.6L V8 with DOHC, 32 valves, easy flowing cast iron headers, RV cam, and mellow mufflers for a nice low rumble.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the baby powerstroke would be great

Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Ed_B
Senior User
Originally Posted by mnmwhit
the baby powerstroke would be great

Yep... how about that, Ford? Lop the back 2 cylinders off of the newest diesel V8 to create a diesel V6. That would work and would be WAY cool.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think an I4 common rail diesel would make more sense in a small light truck. I would like to have a pre emmissions I4 cummins in a Ranger and a good stout trans behind it. Good mpg and good power.

Of course with current CARB and EPA requirements its just wishful thinking unless you build it yourself.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Ed_B
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
I think an I4 common rail diesel would make more sense in a small light truck. I would like to have a pre emmissions I4 cummins in a Ranger and a good stout trans behind it. Good mpg and good power.

Of course with current CARB and EPA requirements its just wishful thinking unless you build it yourself.

Now, there's an idea that is looking better and better.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:12 AM
colemanw
Senior User
Manual transfer case, more traditional front axle (ttb maybe) the possibility of manual hubs!!! In bed lockable trunk to contain spare and have a little stowage room. Inline 5 or 6. NO ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL - Option of no driver stability electronic crap! 90% of the people out there need it but there are those of us who know how to finesse a vehicle! A good 5 speed-

I read an article lately that says mid size and compact body on frame trucks are going to disappear in favor of unibody utes like the Australians use. In the long run it makes sense to me but its also kinda sad

Old 01-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Ed_B
Senior User
Originally Posted by colemanw
Manual transfer case, more traditional front axle (ttb maybe) the possibility of manual hubs!!! In bed lockable trunk to contain spare and have a little stowage room. Inline 5 or 6. NO ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL - Option of no driver stability electronic crap! 90% of the people out there need it but there are those of us who know how to finesse a vehicle! A good 5 speed-

I read an article lately that says mid size and compact body on frame trucks are going to disappear in favor of unibody utes like the Australians use. In the long run it makes sense to me but its also kinda sad

Man, I agree 100%! I really hate all that expensive electronic crap that is being put on the new cars and trucks. I never ever want to have to fight the computer for control of the vehicle in an emergency situation. If that means driving old cars and trucks from here on out, so be it. I can and WILL do that. It's up to the auto-makers as to whether or not I buy their products and it's not looking good for them at this point... no, not ANY of them. Fancy electronics are just unnecessary junk that can and will break and, as we all know, at the worst possible moment. I really do not like this trend at all. It is the "you are all idiots who do not know how to drive, so we will save you from yourselves whether you want to be saved or not" philosophy. As a fellow Ford truck owner who really does know how to drive safely on ANY road condition, I don't need or want that and I am NOT going to have it. Put that in your exhaust pipe and smoke it, Detroit and all other manufacturers too. GRRR!

Whew... rant mode disengaged... manually, of course. ;-)

Old 01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
devja71
Senior User
lol yes. i'm in a holiday inn express this weekend here because this new mack i'm driving (not ******* on mack it's otherwise a fine truck) hung the throttle wide open on me in n carolina. on a 2lane residential street no less. i got it into this burger king parking lot, shoved in the clutch and up she went to 2grand. pulled the plug on the side of the gas pedal and it idled down, touch the plug in and back up it went. i didn't know what else to do so my company had it towed up here to chester va and here i sit cause we gotta wait till monday to order the parts. (good guys here tho). my point is if it had at least an adjustment on it or somethin i could've saved the tow truck. been driving semi's since 92 never had any other electronic pedal problems tho. early N14 throttles used to quit periodically, shut off the key and turn it back on and away it went for awhile more. i don't mind electronic, but at least give us an override or some kind of control that's all.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Unfortunatly our wonderful goverment mandated some of that electronic crap like drive by wire and tire pressure monitoring. What ever rolls of the line has to have that crap on it. Got to get a good custom tune made nowdays to have a good funtioning vehicle that isn't full of lag and shifts like grandmas town car.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Ed_B
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
Unfortunatly our wonderful goverment mandated some of that electronic crap like drive by wire and tire pressure monitoring. What ever rolls of the line has to have that crap on it. Got to get a good custom tune made nowdays to have a good funtioning vehicle that isn't full of lag and shifts like grandmas town car.

Yeah? Well, then, THEY can jolly well drive them and be left to scratching their heads as to why real people aren't buying them. :-(

Damn... I LOVE my 1984 F250... no bells, no whistles, and NO B$.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM
dkf
Hotshot
I'm not against electronics. On my 04' SD there is none of the the drive by wire or tire pressure sensor crap. Its an OBD II system thats actually running OBD I because of the GVWR. Electronics make it really nice because with a handheld tuner, some knowhow and the right software you can change what you want on the vehcile without touching a wrench. Reading DTCs can point you in the the right direction to where/what the problem is.

My 74' F-100 is the exact opposite and can be refreshing to work on because of its simplicity and inexpensive parts. Well until the carb acts up.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by wendell borror
The new ford raptor is an off road lighting put out by SVT. It will ahve a 400 hp 6.2. Also ford is working on a fusion GT with a 340 hp ecco force 3.5. They are also working on another performance focus. With ford's one car for all market stradegy, we will be seeing alot of european stuff comming this way in the future. Ford will save alot of money by making the same car for all markets, instaed of individual cars for different markets and should benifit us here in the states greatly.

Speaking of european tech wandering over the pond. How about swapping in the drivetrain from Focus RS 350 hp 4wd into the Escape?
Next Ford Focus RS to be 4WD and 350 hp? | The Truth About Cars

Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
justiz00
Senior User
3 on tree column shift, for nostalgic sake.

Quick Reply: What would you like to See on the New F100?