Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
New User

N20Jnky is starting off with a positive reputation.
V10 Performance Upgrades

Hey Gang:Just purchased a 05 V10 with 45,000 miles. Would like to get ideas on the best bang for the buck upgrades. Who has the best programmer and has any one gotten any real performace out of upgraded air intakes? Other ideas that provide additional HP/TQ?Thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Postmaster

Suburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputationSuburban_B_Gone has a superb reputation
N20Jnky,

I am still looking for an excursion like you found. Congratulations! How far from home did you have to go for it? I have been looking for months. They always end up being salted up and rusty, having a stupid asking price, or they are already gone.

Got pictures?

Good Luck,

-JR
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Post Fiend

X_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputation
You will probably get much better responses by posting this over in the V10 forum...

I drive a V10 and I tow a 9000# TT with my V10. I've towed 18,000 miles with her the last 3 summers. I've tackled the Rockies TWICE, the Black Hills, Big Horns, Sandia's, countless peaks in Utah and Arizona, Appalachians and Smokies with this setup.

My V10 is pretty much STOCK and does a superb job of pulling.

The ONLY thing I decided to do to the drive train (besides maintenance items like fuel filter, clean MAF sensor and a K&N drop in filter and a few suspension upgrades) was to change my 3.73's to 4.30's and not handicap the V10 with IMO inferior gearing for towing.

The 4.30's with stock tires are IMO the PERFECT rear end gearing for the V10. It matches up perfectly to the power band of the 2V V10. You mentioned you just purchased an '05 V10...if it is in an Ex...you have the 2V...if it is in an F250/350 you have the 3V...I wasn't sure which you had purchased but assumed it was an Ex based on the fact you posted it in the Ex forum...

The OEM intake for our 2V motors inside the Ex engine compartment is already sucking the coldest air possible. I monitor the air intake temp sensor and it is outside ambient...so adding a CAI doesn't make sense to me...

Now besides gearing...things I have heard others have success with are removing the Y pipe which allows much less restriction on the exhaust...also I've read some good reports headers in conjunction with that mod.

Programmers...I think the majority of improvements on programmers for the V10 will be in transmission shift point modifications...the 4R100 is very sluggish with 3.73's in my experiences. The 4.30's don't seem so sluggish for some reason...

Mind you that the majority of my miles are TOWING so my 'adaptive' learning strategy on the trans is setup for working...you can disconnect your battery and turn on your headlights to kill the memory in the PCM and 're-learn' the shift points for your driving style...it may help.

Seriously...check out the dedicated V10 forum if you really want to learn about mods for this wonderful motor....

But...to recap...I roll down the road at 17,000#'s combined weight...my application is by far mostly pure towing...I've pulled over an 11,000' pass in the Rockies...to me...the stock performance with 4.30's is pretty darn good!

Good luck and welcome to FTE!

Joe.
Big BS'r #19 and Slackmaster #30
Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Since Joe insisted, I'll get this moved to the V10 forum....
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Post Fiend

X_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputation
I wasn't that I insisted...I just thought he'd get more responses in the V10 house...that's all!
Big BS'r #19 and Slackmaster #30
Old 11-10-2008, 03:04 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy View Post
I wasn't that I insisted...I just thought he'd get more responses in the V10 house...that's all!
Just some friendly ribbing Joe...you and Monsta are the Excursion forum V210 go to guys.

If it's of or relating to towing with the V10 or just general knowledge, there are few better to talk to than you.

Sorry to
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 11-10-2008, 03:04 PM