The wheres waldo of 460's

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:59 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by peganit2
I saw one in a junk yard once. D0OE if I remember right. Big ventilating hole in the side of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Ok your wrong. LOL it would be D0VE blocks that would be 4 bolt main. You would have to see more of the block to know which it was but it would most likely be a SCJ as all of them were 4 bolt, could also be a CJ because SOME of those were 4 bolt mains. THen there is the very slight and remote chance it was a Boss block but DANG slight chance of that.

The reason I commented on masterbeavis's post about those blocks is because he knows that neither of those casting numbered 429/460 blocks exist and in fact I have a standing bet to buy a years FTE supporter subscription to someone that can prove that they do (no hearsay, no blurry pictures we will demand PROOF ) And the other part is the part about them being 4 bolt mains, that was some bad information that was published in Hot rod Mag about 25yrs ago by someone that doesn't have a clue and since it's in a magazine way to many people take it as gospel truth and it isn't.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Ok your wrong. LOL it would be D0VE blocks that would be 4 bolt main. You would have to see more of the block to know which it was but it would most likely be a SCJ as all of them were 4 bolt, could also be a CJ because SOME of those were 4 bolt mains. THen there is the very slight and remote chance it was a Boss block but DANG slight chance of that.

The reason I commented on masterbeavis's post about those blocks is because he knows that neither of those casting numbered 429/460 blocks exist and in fact I have a standing bet to buy a years FTE supporter subscription to someone that can prove that they do (no hearsay, no blurry pictures we will demand PROOF ) And the other part is the part about them being 4 bolt mains, that was some bad information that was published in Hot rod Mag about 25yrs ago by someone that doesn't have a clue and since it's in a magazine way to many people take it as gospel truth and it isn't.
Lol. Where's numberdummy when you need him.

It was a CJ. Grabbed the heads, all the good rods, the CJ intake and exhaust, and the CJ aluminum valve covers for $25. That was in 1977 though. I still have those parts. D0OE on EVERYTHING!

For the record, my foggy recollections are from personal eyewitness and valid Ford sources. I've long since lost track of where those books and literature are.

If you dudes are fair, you can see that I'm not quoting erroneous sources, just my aging memory. Now that could be considered an erroneous source.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:32 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

The D0OE would be the proper casting number on the heads and the intake on both CJ and SCJ. Not hammering on you at all, they just never used the D0OE casting on the block itself.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:23 PM
peganit2
Elder User
I didn't take it that way.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
70 Cj

My 70 CJ (Merc Cyclone engine) was 2 bolt. Big heads, cast iron intake, Quadrajet carb, hyd cam. That carb cause one of my most memorable encounters with a smart-a$$ chevy orentiated parts counter man. Another wasted few bux on a head rebuild that the shimed the valve springs apparently for a stock lift 429/460 cam---but thats another story

Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by monsterbaby

The reason I commented on masterbeavis's post about those blocks is because he knows that neither of those casting numbered 429/460 blocks exist and in fact I have a standing bet to buy a years FTE supporter subscription to someone that can prove that they do (no hearsay, no blurry pictures we will demand PROOF )

I physically saw a D8TE 429/460 block sitting in the core pile at Pick and Pull once. I did not know about the rumor of the 4 bolt main rumor back then, so I did not bother checking under the pan. It did exist, I saw it with my own eyes, it had the rear sump oil pan on it too, after I had already yanked a motor and bought one, and it sure as heck looked like a 460 to me.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

And since you didnt take a picture of it and wire brush off the number it's probably actually a D9TE block. Ford never cast the 460 blocks with the truck designations (the third letter T) until 79 with the D9TE. The D7TE and the D8TE blocks don't exist and whenever someone see's one and investigates them just slightly you find out that it's just dirt or poor cast that makes the 9 look like a 7 or 8 until wire brushed off.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Originally Posted by masterbeavis
I physically saw a D8TE 429/460 block sitting in the core pile at Pick and Pull once. I did not know about the rumor of the 4 bolt main rumor back then, so I did not bother checking under the pan. It did exist, I saw it with my own eyes, it had the rear sump oil pan on it too, after I had already yanked a motor and bought one, and it sure as heck looked like a 460 to me.
master beavis I'm in a fighting mood. Don't f*** with me or mock me.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 AM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
It was D8TE, clear as day. I might have bad eyes at 30 yards, but at 30 inches, my eyes work excellent. You can believe what you want, I seen it with my own eyes, a D8TE block. It looked and smelled like a 460, but I will concede that maybe it was a 351M/400? It would not be the first time somebody has mistakenly identified a 460 as a 4V 351C. It was many moons ago, the block was upside down, and I did not spend more than the time it took to walk by it to investigate. I still think it was a 460.
Like I stated before, at the time I did not know about this rumor, so I did not bother with further investigation. The only thing that caught my eye was the rear sump oil pan, the only reason why I even looked at it.

This reminds me of a story a friend told me about a guy at pick and pull. He was happy as a pig in poo, he was tearing into a 460 with D2VE heads on it. He stopped to ask him why he just HAD to have "those" heads, his answer was "These four barrel clevland heads are hecka rare." My buddy just shook his head and wandered off. He got to thinking about it, and decided he should educate him on the fact that in fact it was 460 heads he was pulling. He went back, started up the conversation again. "You do know those are open chamber 460 heads right?" "Naw, these are Clevland heads, look at the ports on them, they are HUGE!. My friend is an expert, he is coming with cash." My friend shakes his head again, wanders off. Comes back about 20 minutes later, all of the engine parts looked as if they were used in a shot put contest, all were sitting haphazzardly in a mud puddle!! I guess his buddy didn't want them 4V Clevland heads.

Peganit2: What has your tail feathers all ruffled? DO you need a time out, and for me to say a prayer for you? Its only the internet.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:28 AM
peganit2
Elder User
Originally Posted by masterbeavis
Peganit2: What has your tail feathers all ruffled? DO you need a time out, and for me to say a prayer for you? Its only the internet.
My misunderstanding.

Apologies.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
460 Scj

I am not ringing in on the D8/D9 thing---I dont know
I am wondering if your buddy actually was looking at a 429 or 460 police motor. Dont know if the SCJ size heads were available in D2. Its amazing to me how many motors used those tennis ball intakes!! Boss 302/351C/429CJ & SCJ all basically the same ports---except for bore spacing and slightly different looking exaust ports and valve sizes.

In ~1970 when I was looking to build a 429/460 I bought a set of big port heads, bare, that were supposed to be 429 heads. Turns out they were actually boss 302 heads---so much for my expertise!! Point is that most people have to look really close to tell what motor those heads fit.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 AM
peganit2
Elder User
Originally Posted by benshere
I am wondering if your buddy actually was looking at a 429 or 460 police motor. Dont know if the SCJ size heads were available in D2. Its amazing to me how many motors used those tennis ball intakes!! Boss 302/351C/429CJ & SCJ all basically the same ports---except for bore spacing and slightly different looking exaust ports and valve sizes.

In ~1970 when I was looking to build a 429/460 I bought a set of big port heads, bare, that were supposed to be 429 heads. Turns out they were actually boss 302 heads---so much for my expertise!! Point is that most people have to look really close to tell what motor those heads fit.
Not bragging here, but I can tell with a glance what family a Ford engine is in, and just a little more investigation to tell what it actually is. As best as you can without taking it apart anyway.

(I had to get that out there, for the Doubting Thomases)

Last edited by peganit2; 11-26-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
I can tell now and have been able to for years-----.
On the 302 heads, it was a friend of a friend who was in dire straits for cash----had all his stuff loaded in the back of his dump truck and it was late when I looked and bought them. I knew right off they were not run of the mill ford heads---of any kind. At daylight it was obvious!! I was much younger them and may have had a friend along named Bud Weiser. He forced me to do a lot of foolish things

Old 11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
peganit2
Elder User
I can tell now and have been able to for years-----.
On the 302 heads, it was a friend of a friend who was in dire straits for cash----had all his stuff loaded in the back of his dump truck and it was late when I looked and bought them. I knew right off they were not run of the mill ford heads---of any kind. At daylight it was obvious!! I was much younger them and may have had a friend along named Bud Weiser. He forced me to do a lot of foolish things

LOL I know him, he's a good friend of mine too. Man he gets around.

On the Boss 302 heads, sounds like you made out well on the deal to me, unless there's more to the story.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

The open chamber heads are D2VE the police interceptor heads are D2OE.

And masterbeavis I 110% guarentee you that there never was any casting number D8TE used on 429/460 blocks (I am not an expert enough on the 351M/400 to be absolutely positive on that casting number on them but I can be 1000% positive it was never a 351C number since that indicates a truck motor and the 351c was never used in a truck in the US.)
IF that number had ever actually been used you would be able to find them somewhere but I defy you to find even one, like I said been through this discussion way to many times and when I first heard about them being a 4bolt main block I went looking in a truck wrecking yard (does dump trucks school busses etc) bet we looked at 30+ blocks and guess what, NON of them had the D7TE or the D8TE casting number although probably 15 of them looked like it until took a wire brush to them and found out that they were actually D9TE castings.
This is not a maybe, it's not a 'few slipped through" it's a solid 100% fact that those casting numbers were NOT used on 429/460s.

Quick Reply: The wheres waldo of 460's