Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Been work'n on the truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been work'n on the truck

Been doing some things with the truck for the last few weeks. I thought I might have to move and decided that the best way to move the extra sheetmetal I have was to put some paint on it and install it. Of course after I get it painted and ready I find out I'm not going anywhere, figures. I found a pair of rust free/dent free fenders in a salvage yard in Sydney a few years ago($150.00) and had aquired a NOS drivers door and NOS grill shell. I had a pair of Chinese fenders, door and shell on the truck from 20+ years ago and while OK, they just didn't fit all that great and I've been wanting to do something about it. I had to remove all the shims that were put in to make them look right, amazing how OEM fits so much better. I waiting on Dennis Carpenter for the glass whether stripping to finish the job up. The rest of the trim mount clips and stuff I got from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. Been a pain getting the doors, hood and fenders all readjusted so the gaps look right again and the trim lines up.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ya, getting bodylines straight is a bear. Gotta start with bed, then work forward.

Got any pics?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 PM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just check my gallery. Actually, all lines have to work from the cowl in front of the windshield. Everything else is adjustable. What is typical with the vehicle I refer to as "Pandora's Box," now that the driver side door is adjusted properly I find I need to replace the worn out door to cab weather stripping. Heck of a wind noise in my left ear at 65mph.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ya, poked around after I posted(duh! why didn't I think of that before I posted). Good looking truck. I was more of a Bump truck guy, but those dents sure do make a good looking truck too with just the right color and trim.

For alignment, I was thinking the rear of cab has to match up to bedline, so get the cab squared then get doors/fenders/cowl lined up from there. Just remember........the factory uses a big 2x4 to adjust for door alignment!! Why do we work so hard at it?? LOL!!!