1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Rear Side Vent Window Motor Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM
chuter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Side Vent Window Motor Failure

The motor for the passenger side, rear vent window on my '03 EB Expy didn't work yesterday. The driver side vent motor worked fine. I haven't used them for at least a month and the last time it worked I noticed that the passenger side motor squeaked a lot. Are the motors fused? Separately? Are motor failures common? Should I try to "force" it by hand while someone holds the power button? Should I not use the vents until it's repaired to avoid any overheating problems at that motor? Shoudl I try to lube it? Are they easy to access? Shoudl I take it to my local dealer and wait for a big bill?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I've had mine stick occasionaly. If I go tap / hit the actuator a few times it comes back. I think it is a lube issue but I've never had it not respond to the tapping so I've never taken it apart.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
chuter
New User
OK. I recall hearing that power window motors sometimes have or develop a "dead spot" and you can just "whack" it to get it going. I'll try that. First by just hitting the arm. Then, if I have to remove the inside trim panel, hit the motor.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:34 PM
navyspook
New User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
I've had mine stick occasionaly. If I go tap / hit the actuator a few times it comes back. I think it is a lube issue but I've never had it not respond to the tapping so I've never taken it apart.
Hi All! I'm a newbie to the forums here. I have a 03 EB Expedition 4x4 and I've noticed that my rear driver-side vent window intermittently gets stuck in the closed position and open position. Usually I have to press on the exterior of the glass then go depress the Vent switch to get it to close. Is this a switch issue more than a motor issue?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:49 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I'd say it is more an issue of the 'over center' type of mechanism that operates the windows. I'd go with lube first before trying anything else. Free it up a bit and the motor doesn't have to work as hard.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM
navyspook
New User
I'd say it is more an issue of the 'over center' type of mechanism that operates the windows. I'd go with lube first before trying anything else. Free it up a bit and the motor doesn't have to work as hard.
Well I lubed the arm that comes off the motor and mounts onto the rear driver side vent window, disconnected the electrical connectors at the motor and at the switch and sprayed them down with QD Electrical Cleaner.

After doing the aforementioned, I went ahead and started up my 2003 Expedition and operate the "Vent" switch and driver side rear vent window seems to be okay when the engine is running...However, when I turn off the engine and put the ignition in off position the window will close and re-open fully with no problems then the second time I try to close and reopen it starts to slow down how quick it will open and close and not shut fully or open fully. Lastly, I turned the engine back on and the window operates normally.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:30 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by navyspook
However, when I turn off the engine and put the ignition in off position the window will close and re-open fully with no problems then the second time I try to close and reopen it starts to slow down how quick it will open and close and not shut fully or open fully. Lastly, I turned the engine back on and the window operates normally.
With the engine running the window motor is getting closer to 14 volts instead of 12, so naturally the motor will have a bit more zip to it. When you first turn the engine off there is a 14 volt surface charge on the battery. Once you burn that off it's back down to 12 volts.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:08 AM
navyspook
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
With the engine running the window motor is getting closer to 14 volts instead of 12, so naturally the motor will have a bit more zip to it. When you first turn the engine off there is a 14 volt surface charge on the battery. Once you burn that off it's back down to 12 volts.
Good to know. Thank you. I did notice though the passenger side rear vent window motor moves at a faster speed, than the problem child driver side rear vent window motor with the engine off. Any ideas on why the difference?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
They probably have just worn differently. 11 years will start to take it's toll on things and highlight the subtle differences in mechanisms. As much as they should be the same, they aren't.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:49 AM
navyspook
New User
They probably have just worn differently. 11 years will start to take it's toll on things and highlight the subtle differences in mechanisms. As much as they should be the same, they aren't.
That makes sense, thanks for everyone's help on this matter!