Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Freshman User
Garage is empty, add now

aggiecowboy1987 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What do i need?

I have a 1996 F350 crew cab 5.8L 351 gas with an air intake that spits into 2 tubes before it enters the engine. I want to delete this and just have one tube that feeds directly into the engine. im trying to get more air into the engine and just want the one tube. i heard there is a kit out there that does this but i dont know what it is called so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. thanks.
Keith
Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Post Fiend
2002 Ford F-250

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
That would be the MAF conversion for mustangs. Speed density engines got the two tubes, and MAF systems run on a single. Other wise, you might be able to find a throttle body like the one used on the v10 or supercharged mod motors that will bolt on, then get a boot that will slip over the flange, and fit a 3-3.5" piece of pipe and a cone filter.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
You Keep What You Kill
Garage is empty, add now

Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
This K&N CAI kit may work for your application.

57-2542 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-2542_inst.pdf

2005 F-350 XL, 4X4, RCLB, 5.4L 3V, TorqShift®, 4.10 LS, K&N CAI Kit, SCT Livewire w/ Custom Tunes from 5 Star Tuning
Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Post Fiend
2002 Ford F-250

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
No, the CAI for the dual tube is just a dual inlet filter and bracket. The twin bore throttle body of those years have dual flanges and no sealing surface for a pipe adapter.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 11-03-2008, 10:55 PM
You Keep What You Kill
Garage is empty, add now

Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Did you click on the links? I have the filter / bracket on my 1997 F250 but this kit also works... look at the installation guide (2nd link).

2005 F-350 XL, 4X4, RCLB, 5.4L 3V, TorqShift®, 4.10 LS, K&N CAI Kit, SCT Livewire w/ Custom Tunes from 5 Star Tuning
Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Post Fiend
2002 Ford F-250

I didn't look at the pdf, it should work then.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 PM
You Keep What You Kill
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAX View Post
I didn't look at the pdf, it should work then.
I just wanted to be sure... I've read your many posts and know that you are very knowledgable about Ford trucks.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Freshman User
Garage is empty, add now

so from my reading about speed density to the maf conversion, it seems to me since the computer is getting a more accurate measurement of the airflow in, it might give a boost in fuel economy. I use this truck as a daily driver and haul quite a bit but for the most part id say 60% of the truck is unloaded and im just trying to get more fuel econony. Should this help?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Post Fiend
2002 Ford F-250

It is a more accurate system, but I am not sure you will see enough gain to offset the $800 price tag. It will help performance and you should gain the ability to tune the ECM.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Freshman User
Garage is empty, add now

what performance gains should i expect to see? the 5.8L seems small for such a big truck to do any serious towing. ive pulled empty 40 ft goosenecks and i could tell the engine was straining, i couldnt imagine what would happen with a loaded trailer. i probably wouldnt get too far. can anyone tell me what the horsepower and torque specs for this engine in this truck are stock?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Post Fiend
2002 Ford F-250

It's not just the engine. Final drive ratio and the transmission make a big difference.

K&N shows stock at 211hp http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/63-1014_dyno.pdf Id figure torque being about 60 higher, so about 270ft/lbs.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Freshman User
Garage is empty, add now

mcrespousa is starting off with a positive reputation.
excuse this test
Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air

Tags
572542, 58l, custom, fipk, hook, kn, pn, tow, tubes, tusks, two