6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo Surge Re-do

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
psdendurance
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Surge Re-do

A month ago I posted on this issue. See below. No one came back. I really thought there would be a few offer suggestions.

Update to the below post.
I am running the canned SCT tune downloaded from SCT.
I run the 50 hp tow tune. It ran way better then the custom tunes from either of the tuners. There is slight surge at 2200 rpm under mild throttle pulling the load up a grade. I can power though it to 2800 -3000 rpm and it pulls strong with no problem. Surge stops at about 2400 rpm.

Since I have not - nor has Ford techs - found WHY it surges with a tune and not in stock, I am at a loss. Ford ran all the checks they could think of nothing found.

I will live with the slight surge I get using the SCT canned tune.
The last trip - I loaded the same tune with the 'jake brake' option set. Now that works great.
I was worried when I let off the throttle, the exhaust sound changed and the BOOST went from zero to about 10, but the engine was holding back the rig with less braking.
I assume this occurs due the turbo closing down and making a false back 'boost' from engine compression?
I will assume this will not cause a problem?

I really do not want to put the EGR system back to stock.
I did mount the ERGv on the outside and it is plugged in.

I have no CEL light

Here is the original post
Thanks for any help
----
I have just read all the information about the EGRv issues. Removal of the EGRv and the blocked up pipe resolved the design problem. I did it.

Now we read IF we have the latest flash ( I do - Ind Inj Heat), then the PCM ECM goes into EPA protected limp mode no matter what SCT tune we have.?

My current issues , runs OK with oem stock ECM code. Limp mode. Now that I know what that is, lower power, lower boost, degraded performance and poor mileage.

I install a SCT tune - I have a few from 2 tuners, they all run bad.
CEL light is on with one out with the other.

They ALL surge under a load pulling a grade at 2600 to 2900 rpm boost 25, into the throttle. I get a bad surge.

The canned SCT tune will run better but still has surge

Have to back off and drop to a lower gear and use less power to get up the hill.

I suspected I have a problem with the truck that only shows up when running a tune? Asking for more performance finds a defective component.

Stock tune in limp mode no surge.

I initially suspected a turbo problem. Like vane issues
But now I suspect it is the EPA table blocking the SCT tunes modifications due to my strategy. However other drivers with the same strat I have are OK?

VXCF4FG TQCK0F3 current strategy

I run a an open 3.5 in stock pipe, no back pressure. Gutted cat.
SCT said I need back pressure to stop the surge?

It looks like until SCT and the tuners can crack the EPA table for the EGRv issues, I will have to put back the stock up-pipe and re-install the ERGv.

I am going to the dealer for all the suspect tests, turbo vanes injector buzz test and what ever the tech wants to do..They are mod kind..

If they find nothing, I will put it back to stock, except for the muffler and cat

Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
why dont you try a wastegate actuator? it is not something that shows bad but can be weak when hot and steady boost is needed, and will cause a surge.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:02 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You mean a VGT actuator? The 6.0L doesn't have a waste gate

Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 AM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cartmanea
You mean a VGT actuator? The 6.0L doesn't have a waste gate
There are several companies out there that make aftermarket waste gates.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
psdendurance
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
why dont you try a wastegate actuator? it is not something that shows bad but can be weak when hot and steady boost is needed, and will cause a surge.

What? I thought the 6.0 did not have one. Yes it does not.
The VGT VVT turbo controller tests fine when hot. Turbo has the correct boost and boost slope. The tech showed me the test results on the computer.
I dont think I really need to add a device that is not stock?
I have something that is failing just a little that does not show up under the stock tune and the Ford tests.
But does show up under performance tunes.
I am now suspecting the ICP.
I can even replace the turbo VGT controller but that is costly to replace on a guess.

Since it is easy to replace the ICP on a 05 and it is low cost -- I will get one and try it .

Thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry guys. ford calls it a wastegate actuator, and that what the technical term for it. i mean the vgt actuator.

the vgt actuator is a 5/100k item and i have replaced several of these for surges, even on tuned trucks. everything will check fine and pass tests, but if you look close at the boost at steady speed, and it goes up and down then there you go.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
psdendurance
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
sorry guys. ford calls it a wastegate actuator, and that what the technical term for it. i mean the vgt actuator.

the vgt actuator is a 5/100k item and i have replaced several of these for surges, even on tuned trucks. everything will check fine and pass tests, but if you look close at the boost at steady speed, and it goes up and down then there you go.
OK then. I have two easy to replace part on a guess. Not much else I can do here other then live with the problem.
I have looked at the stock boost gauge under steady speed it does not move that I can tell.. but it is so well damped it may not show slight changes.

The ICP looks very easy and is low cost.
The VGT actuator is in a good location - how hard is to get out ? I dont have to remove the turbo right? Just pull it out of the front
It is costly.

ICP may be to best first choice?
Well at least I am getting some good knowledgeable advice this time.

Will call the Ford shop and get the parts prices.

Thank you

Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
smokingrezel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psdendurance
OK then. I have two easy to replace part on a guess. Not much else I can do here other then live with the problem.
I have looked at the stock boost gauge under steady speed it does not move that I can tell.. but it is so well damped it may not show slight changes.

The ICP looks very easy and is low cost.
The VGT actuator is in a good location - how hard is to get out ? I dont have to remove the turbo right? Just pull it out of the front
It is costly.

ICP may be to best first choice?
Well at least I am getting some good knowledgeable advice this time.

Will call the Ford shop and get the parts prices.

Thank you

Did you ever find out what was the issue? was it your VGT Control Valve? If so how much was it and do you have a ford part number?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the actuator is very pricy. Several hundred dollars and yes it is easy to remove 1 8mm 12 point i believe and out it comes.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Last time I priced one it was $258 from directfordparts.com. I was thinking of getting the "updated" version since mine is the original '03 and it still seemed sluggish after pulling my turbo and cleaning it. I have since decided to put that money towards a turbo upgrade when the time comes.