1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW MEMBER Introduction Thread (NO TECH QUESTIONS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Sailcat JR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to forums

Gotta another Newby here. Been using this for a lot of research finally registered!!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 AM
tbfreese
New User

Hello from Texas. I recently purchased a 2005 F250 with the 6.0. After purchasing it I heard many horror stories. I have had over $5,000 worth of work done on it at 135,000 miles. I am hoping to hear some good stories about the engine among all the other stories. Anyone have a story about how great your truck is?

I love the truck and have enjoyed being a diesel owner, it is great. Thanks for any info you may have.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:21 PM
halofive
New User
Hi my name is alex and I own a 05 Lincoln navigator. Can't say I'm an enthusiast be this thing has given me nothing but problems but that's your I am here by I'm poor and I can't afford another car note. The only option is to fix this thing

Old 09-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Mach5
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greetings! I just bought a 99 E350 Clubwagon to use for hauling kids and towing (generally not at the same time). This one is the v10 11 passenger. Though my family have had a lot of Fords over the years, this is both the first Ford I've ever owned and the first American vehicle I've ever owned (since I started driving in 1987).

Most of the vehicles I have had have had a lot of support on forums on the internet, so I went looking for a place to get in the know about this vehicle. Only to find there isn't that much out there!

This place, OTOH, has already been a resource for some of the issues I've encountered since buying this 15 year old van. I'm slowly getting some of the issues resolved.

Issues -- the AC quit working promptly after purchase. The PO was less than totally honest with me about the condition. I found in the few records given to me that she had had had AC worked on twice this year (though it looks like all they did was put more refrigerant in it). I ended up spending 1k to get what is nearly a completely new AC system installed. Works pretty good now, except that I'm having the usual vacuum loss under load issue where the air quits blowing through the vents. I started to take apart the heater box to see if I could get to the vacuum, but it is a royal PIA and as I understand it I will have to depressurize and remove the evaporator and a ton of other stuff to get to a cheap part. There is a black plastic canister under the vehicle about where the rear passenger door is that I was told is a vacuum canister. I have rear AC so I imagine my vehicle has more vacuum ports/requirements than a van without rear AC and its controls. Is it possible that this is my vacuum source instead of the dreaded hidden one that is under the AC system? I haven't run any tests yet.

Beyond that, I plan to do the rear brakes (the fronts were supposedly done recently), the suspension bushings and the tie rods. I also need to paint the roof.

And I have a rattle around 1800-2500 rpm that needs to be addressed. From reading the forum it appears that this might just be an inspection cover plate on the transmission, though I'm not really clear where the offending plate is supposed to be.

I've had the van less than a month and have put about 700 miles on it. Other than the foregoing and rattly speakers and a cheap (stock) head unit, this is a pretty nice van. Oh, one other thing that needs to be fixed -- the shift lever overdrive end cap is missing and the switch isn't working.

Other things I want to do -- add a tow hitch and brake controller (and an upgraded transmission cooler if I need it), possibly swap the rear bumper for a step bumper, add gauges (esp trans temp and tach), and possibly swap the steel wheels for some nice aluminum, if I can find a set that are inexpensive but durable enough.

There's also the part of me who grew up in the 70s era of van customization that really wants to do silly things. There is a guy down the street from me who has a similar era van with a 4x4 system and a cool black front/rear bumper set-up with a grill guard and winch in the front and a ladder to a rack on the rear. I'm not really interested in the 4x4 because I'd never use it an it would reduce tow capacity, but a nice set of bumpers with a grill guard and winch in the front and some extra driving lights would be nice. (BTW-- I found his set up on a website and it would cost as much to buy that kit (sans 4x4) as I paid for the van).

I guess you could say I'm hooked. About the only thing I don't love about this van is the fuel economy. I would have liked to have gotten a 7.3l diesel but the only one I found was twice what I paid for this van and had twice the issues and an ugly interior (the interior on mine is pristine).

If you read through all of this, thank you. If you're seeing this and you happen to know where to find good threads, resources, etc. to resolve the above issues, (or to point me to places to get goodies that I might not otherwise find through a quick google search), please post or PM me the links! Likewise if you know good sources in the Phoenix Metro area for some of the things I am or should be looking for, let me know. Much thanks.

Last edited by Mach5; 09-21-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 09-21-2014, 03:57 PM
louie k
New User
Hi everyone. Always been ford guy I have a 2002 ranger 4x4 4.0 extend cab 2005 f150 4x4 5.4 extend cab 94 f250 4x4 reg cab and 2014 fusion .THANKS

Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 PM
1995_F150_5.8
Freshman User
I just picked up an F250 SD at the auction. My '95 F150 4x4 had a cracked frame at the suspension pivot. i'm looking forward to learing all about another one.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 PM
F450guy
New User
Hey all,
I am new to FTE.
I am in the process of buying a 2010 F450 Crew 4X4 Diesel. I need an opinion on how many miles/km's can be put on one of these motors? I found a 2010 with 271,000 miles or about 430,000 km's. It's a King Ranch 6.4 fully loaded with Nav etc. I think I can buy it for around $16 - $17 thousand US.
It's one of those trucks that does not show its mileage.
Any thoughts or opinions?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:13 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Welcome to FTE everyone!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 AM
eacorbett
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New User

Just want to tell everyone hello. I am new to this site. I own a 1987 Ford Ranger XLT. I am the second owner. I will post pics just as soon as I have some time to take some. This is my second Ranger. The first was a '92 2wd. It was very nice and I had customized it. Never should have traded that one in. I vowed never to get rid of this one. I have had it for over a year and still have not registered or titled it in my name. It just sits in my yard. Already had to replace the fuel pump from sitting. It has a cylinder with no compression and it over heats. Working on both issues now. Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I wish everyone well! May all your journey's be safe ones!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 AM
hueSr
New User
new to the post. How do I start at a question? I need help with my transmission - 2000 Expedition EB

Old 09-22-2014, 06:31 PM
jb1970
New User
New here and looking to buy a f-150

Hello to all! My name is John and what lead me to this site was I was researching the 02 F-150.My question is about a rear distributor being loose on that particular truck that is 4 sale. The add states that it is a 6 cyl. Yet in the threads I see no mention of this. I currently drive a Ford, well a Mazda b-2500. At the time I purchased it, it met my needs. It still does today, it just doesn't fulfill my wants for comfort and more passenger space. It currently has 265,000 on it and acts as if it could go another. Only twice has it ever failed me, timing belt and an alternator. I would love a brand new one, but the all mighty pocket book does not allow that at this time. I have found myself looking at the 2005-2007 fx4 lariats. If anyone has any suggestions or one they would sale feel free to comment.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:09 AM
hawaiianirish
New User
Aloha and greetings from yup Hawaii!!!!!! Just got hime.from dealership and scored a 2012 f250 xlt w 6.7l and its freaking awesome. Hope to read.more about you all and.if your in hawaii on oahu lets grab a cold.one.and.shoot the you know.what

Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Danburnit
New User
Good Day People
I was wondering what you People think about making a Stainless steel intake for a 1978 ford F 100 with a 300 six in it ? 4 barrel with a Holley 2 barrel plate ? Do you think I should worry about welding a SS 5/8 pipe to the bottom to pre-heat it in Wisconsin winter time? Shut off option for summer?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:47 PM
KaiserKlauss
New User
New member from Chicago area. Part of a ford family, picked up my 92 f150 about 2 months ago

Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Blackfly1972
New User
Multiple trouble codes

Hey guys and gals, new to this forum and i think i may be on here quit a bit. I currently have a 2008 F-250 with the 6.4 diesel. I , like many others i've talked to have had so so luck with it. My dream was to have a powerful diesel with great fuel mileage. That dream is over lol. Anyhow, i started changing out OEM item on it and replaced the air intake with a KN filter system and put in a Edge Evolution tuner and got my fuel consumption down and my power up. Recently i've been getting multiple codes and my truck shuts off when i start it and go to put it in gear. I check the codes, clear them and start it again. More recently it wont start at all and three codes are coming up and i'm wondering were to start to look. The codes are P2292, P1000 and P0232. All i think are fuel related. Is it simple as changing fuel filters? I am in dire need of help on this one, should i not be running the tuner and stick to stock? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: NEW MEMBER Introduction Thread (NO TECH QUESTIONS)