The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

CB Radios

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
CB Radios

So I'm just wondering what ya'll actually use these things for. I've got a Cobra wired into my truck right now, and I've got a second rig/mag mount to give to whoever I'm roadtripping with, but that's all I ever use it for, just to talk to people that I'm driving with. When I happen to flip it on in town, no ones ever talking. So do people actually use these things ever, or are all these antennas I see in the parking lots there for decoration? Oh yeah, and does anyone ever listen to Ch. 9 anymore? Since cell phones are everywhere, seems like it's an outdated way to get help.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:22 PM
78F150XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha funny fact here! me and about 10 of my friends in my highschool, we all put CB's in our pickups so then when we are doin stuff around town, or 4x4in or even just screwin around driving or what ever in the city when we go, p.s. i live in the country (gatta have a redneck cell). if we are too far outta range for the CB's, we use out mike phones, they are replacing CB's i think already and even 2way radios.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 PM
aaronlockhart
Senior User
Around here (Eastern Iowa), most of the truckers talk on channel 19, sometimes theres a good conversation or too you can get into... Only problem is this jerk with way too much spare time who broadcasts this weird chinese music every half an hour, every day of the week, 365 days a year, we just ignore him though...

Out of curiosity does anybody else out there listen to Skip? Some guy in Alabama, I think, got a really powerfull (illegal) Trans CB, I can here him way up here for christs sake...

Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

i turn mine on for chits and giggles when i'm running around becuz there are people yapping out here but we used to use them to play hide and go seek (not cat & mouse) when i was in college. some of my friends dads and my dad are truckers now so if i happen across them on the hwy i'll turn it on and say hi.

when you're paying for your own cell phone bill, and it's prepaid 15 cents a minute daytime use, you use anything but your cell!

hey texastech... you don't hear the burrito man at 0745 hollering from rips on a that he's got burritos for sale?? and then on my way home from work abt 1730 or so there's a man that just gripes about EVERYTHING he can to start an argument. hollers and cusses and does that annoying thing that makes a high pitch racket that makes you wanna yank his head right into your knee.....

yeah.. there's people yacking around here... they're just annoying and pointless. the dude that has a base in levelland doesn't reach this far.. at least not on my crappy radio but he's pretty cool to talk to....

Last edited by ford4life69; 11-13-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have them in all of our work trucks. I work for my local public school system, so we habve them in the work trucks, tractors, and buses. I'm going to put them in my personal trucks soon too. Just for fun more than anything.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
I run a Cobra 29 LTD classic that's been played with a little and gets pretty good reception...usedto be a guy a few years back in Palatka who had a base radio and would read the bible start to finish...whenever he when to take a leak or sleep he had a book layin on the mic to keep it keyed....a few drivers found out where he lived and put a pin in his coax...anyone know what that does?OUCH.Later On

JR (HillBilly Shoes)

Old 11-13-2007, 09:37 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

no what does that do?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Excellent for gettin traffic and copper warnings from channel 19 when you have to venture into the city.

PA systems are a must have too for pickin up the chicks from across the street...

Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 PM
aaronlockhart
Senior User
Originally Posted by godblessmud

PA systems are a must have too for pickin up the chicks from across the street...
LOL, damn straight they are!!!

...Every single time somebody rides around with me they feel the need to yell at traffic with it though, I keep worrying some guy with a tire iron is going to come over and kill me... :O)

Old 11-14-2007, 02:55 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Pshaw, don't worry about the guy with the tire iron... hit him with the truck youre driving and he'll back off in a hurry

Old 11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Ruffinit
Mountain Pass
"a few drivers found out where he lived and put a pin in his coax...anyone know what that does?"

Yep, that'll get somebody's attention depending on what size amp he's using. It effectively shorts the RF energy straight to ground and blows out the finals and sometimes the pre-amps. The radio is dead.

We still use the radios for real stuff. Cell phones have almost relegated them to the toybox though except for the professional drivers. We use them off-road or on road trips, commuting for traffic situations. Doesn't seem to be any lack of folks on them. Remember to mind your manners please. I have called up the Highway Patrol and Sheriff on Ch 9, and called for help / transferred to landline when a fuel pump went out on the road. Especially useful when you can't call someone. Folks with a radio are closer in emergencies or for directions.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
That's exactly right on all accounts Ruffinit...blew his damn Base right off the wall....needless to say, he don't do that no more.....Later all

JR

Old 11-19-2007, 09:45 AM
broncosoldier
Junior User
we use them during hunting season, so we can soordinate pickin up the dogs, and other stuff like that. other than that me and my buddies only use them when we are running around so we dont have to use cellphones. dont really have to worry about dead spots in reception with a cb.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Oh yeah, and does anyone ever listen to Ch. 9 anymore? Since cell phones are everywhere, seems like it's an outdated way to get help.
It might seem outdated, until you are out in the middle of nowhere and have no cell service.

A couple years back, a "friend" of mine rolled his truck on a trail one day and broke his arm. No cell service, so he got on CH9 and in about 45 minutes, there was another truck there ready to take him to the hospital.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
mstiles19
Posting Guru
use then off road cause cellphones usually dont work plus u can talk to multiple people at the same time....plus when i am driving back home from college it lets me know where the cops are hiding.

Quick Reply: CB Radios