General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Cyclists in the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:47 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cyclists in the road

Ok so this is something that really bothers me.

Why do cyclists think that they can act like cars but not follow the rules like cars? All the time I see bikes in left turn lanes, running stop signs, running red lights, riding in the road (it get worse then they rid in big groups) and take up a car lane. I mean when and why did it become ok for a bike to ride in the car lanes and make a left turn? They are not as fast as car and slow the cars down. If I did that on anything else I would get stopped a get a ticket for something, probably a ticket for impeding traffic. These people think they are unbreakable and then get made when you get close to them, because the cars have no where else to go, when they are riding in the car lane.

Now don’t get me wrong I think that biking to work or what ever is good. But get the heck out of the road, they have no right to be there and when they get hit because someone couldn’t see them run that stop sign I will NOT feel bad. And when they are in the way because they are in the road not the bike lanes they will be honked at, just like they would if they were another car.

These people need to pick act like a bike and be treated like one, or act like a car and be treated like one.

So why can bikes make left turns with cars? Do they get tickets for running stop signs, and I just don’t see it? I know that in many places (a lot of colleges) will write tickets for BUI (biking under the influence) but do bikes get tickets for this stuff or not?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a 20 or so page thread on this a while back. It seems that if a bike has no bike lane to ride in, it's ok to use the car lane because they can't ride the sidewalk. As far as impeding traffic, I think they are considered a vehicle just as cars, and unless there is a minimum speed posted- such as on freeways- they are not impeding traffic. They are supposed to be held to the same traffic laws that cars are, so running a stop sign can get you a ticket (I am guilty of this, but only if I can see far enough to know that a car isn't going to wipe me out). I agree that bikes should get over and let you by whenever they have a chance to do so, but in some places, the road is just too narrow and some have no shoulder, either. It takes some courtesy on both parties, though. The cyclist should let you by, and you should give them plenty of space when you pass them.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stu37d
We had a 20 or so page thread on this a while back.

hmmmm... i didnt even look. might have to. that was over a year ago...time for a new one!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Ship Boy
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I agree. Its a pet complaint I share. It seems the bike freaks are quick to get mad at the car drivers who dont give them every consideration but then they break traffic laws all the time. True they are required to stop in traffic just like a motorcycle is. None of this going to the front of the line by passing cars on the side walk or going between cars.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ship Boy
I agree. Its a pet complaint I share. It seems the bike freaks are quick to get mad at the car drivers who dont give them every consideration but then they break traffic laws all the time. True they are required to stop in traffic just like a motorcycle is. None of this going to the front of the line by passing cars on the side walk or going between cars.
thats the other thing that bugs me is when motorcycles split lanes...when i see them coming i get as close to the next car as i can....

Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
thats the other thing that bugs me is when motorcycles split lanes...when i see them coming i get as close to the next car as i can....
Gotta part ways with you there. One sure way to get a butt whoopin'. Whether the biker is wrong or not is not a reason to put them in greater danger than they made for themselves.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
one of the points i saw brought up are roads with no bike lane....why would anyone want to rid on a road with no bike lane?!?!?!?!?! that is just asking to get hit.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:04 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used to ride and gave it up for fear of being hit by somebody that wasn't paying attention. That was back before the era of the cellphone, text messaging etc. Can't imagine what it must be like now. Use to go way out to the country to get away from the traffic but suburban sprawl has eliminated that option as the roads are no wider and there's 3x as much traffic. Recipe for disaster. I try to live and let live and generally don't mind them but I get frustrated when other cars won't pass them and traffic gets stacked up behind. I don't like it when they tend to think they own the road. A little courtesy goes a long way for both parties.

My pet peeve though is that when you finally get passed them on a very narrow road and get to a stoplight and they catch up. They won't stop at the back of the line of traffic but use the shoulder or edge of the lane to pass all the cars that took so long to get passed them in the first place. They have pole position and the exercise starts all over again. That is WRONG.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:08 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
yeah i agree many of them are fine it is the few that think they own the road....

its sad when a few bad apples spoil the bunch....

Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM
z 97ford1
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
LETS GET IT STRAIGHT....bicycles r vehicles just like cars (their just smaller), bicycles CAN ride in the road and in the bicycle lane.
There IS a "THREE FOOT RULE" that cars HAVE to obey.....meaning that cars have to give bicycles 3 feet of space and it doesn't matter where the bike is.
Interstate highways r different. No bicycles allowed......generally.
Sometimes I ride in the road when there is glass, thorns etc in the bike lane. I don't push this as a habit for the fear of getting ran over.
The reason most bicyclists don't stop at a stop sign is that it takes a lot longer to stop and then go from a complete stop than if I slowly keep moving.
You would have to wait a lot longer for me to go ahead, which would **** u off.
If I am in the road or in the bike lane and you run over me YOU R responsible for hitting me.
You r not supposed to run over ANYONE on the road. It's your responsibility to keep your eyes open.
Read the law.
Oh yea, and stop THROWING things at me. I may be packing my desert eagle.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by z 97ford1
then you would be in trouble with the law...go ahead shoot at me that would MAKE my day!!! then i could hit you in self defence, and you would be shooting me in my back when there is no more threat to you...

and just fyi i would never through anything or try to hit anyone....

what really got me going on this subject was this guy on a bike ran a red light in front of me when i was making a left turn, i couldnt see him come out from behind the car waiting at the red light, i almost hit him, he swerved, i swerved and almost lost it...but what did he do? gave me the bird like i did something wrong by turning left on a green arrow....those are the people i am talking about, not the guy who is off to the right and following the rules.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
then you would be in trouble with the law...go ahead shoot at me that would MAKE my day!!! then i could hit you in self defence, and you would be shooting me in my back when there is no more threat to you...
It was things like this that got the last thread so heated. The truth is, you have to be vigilant when in a car or on a bike. Yeah, you got the right of way on a bike, but I have the law of tonnage behind me. So you win in court; have fun spending the millions you get from the lawsuit- from your wheelchair.

what really got me going on this subject was this guy on a bike ran a red light in front of me when i was making a left turn, i couldnt see him come out from behind the car waiting at the red light, i almost hit him, he swerved, i swerved and almost lost it...but what did he do? gave me the bird like i did something wrong by turning left on a green arrow....those are the people i am talking about, not the guy who is off to the right and following the rules.
Bikes are supposed to follow the same rules as a car. If they make an illegal turn and cause an accident, they should be held responsible... wonder why they aren't required to carry insurance????...... hmmmmm I agree with you, red beard. Bikes can be a PITA! Most are courteous, but a few not so much.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stu37d
It was things like this that got the last thread so heated. The truth is, you have to be vigilant when in a car or on a bike. Yeah, you got the right of way on a bike, but I have the law of tonnage behind me. So you win in court; have fun spending the millions you get from the lawsuit- from your wheelchair.

Bikes are supposed to follow the same rules as a car. If they make an illegal turn and cause an accident, they should be held responsible... wonder why they aren't required to carry insurance????...... hmmmmm I agree with you, red beard. Bikes can be a PITA! Most are courteous, but a few not so much.
it is a real shame that bikes get a bad conotation (spelling?) because other then not being able to have kids it really is a good form of transportation and a good work out....more bike trails would be a good idea (if bikers would use them) it would keep the bikes safe and keep the autos happy...

Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by z 97ford1
LETS GET IT STRAIGHT....bicycles r vehicles just like cars (their just smaller), bicycles CAN ride in the road and in the bicycle lane.
There IS a "THREE FOOT RULE" that cars HAVE to obey.....meaning that cars have to give bicycles 3 feet of space and it doesn't matter where the bike is.
Interstate highways r different. No bicycles allowed......generally.
Sometimes I ride in the road when there is glass, thorns etc in the bike lane. I don't push this as a habit for the fear of getting ran over.
The reason most bicyclists don't stop at a stop sign is that it takes a lot longer to stop and then go from a complete stop than if I slowly keep moving.
You would have to wait a lot longer for me to go ahead, which would **** u off.
If I am in the road or in the bike lane and you run over me YOU R responsible for hitting me.
You r not supposed to run over ANYONE on the road. It's your responsibility to keep your eyes open.
Read the law.
Before you get too high and mighty you might want to consider that the VAST majority of roads are funded thru gasoline tax. Not too many cycling dollars go to road construction & maintainance.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
there actually pedestrians.....and we the drivers have to follow laws regarding pedestrian safety on the roads

i bike myself, but use mostly areas that arnt roads, and i even use sidewalks...due to a-hole drivers, i dont want to check out being hit by a vehicle

Quick Reply: Cyclists in the road