Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Headlight Harness Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Headlight Harness Upgrade

I have had my new headlight harness sitting in my garage staring at me for the last month. This weekend I finally listened to it and installed in on my truck. I have the newer 9007 lens with my '03 but it was still lacking. With my Silverstar Ultras (no they are not the Euro Silverstars, just the American ones), I could see the lights when they reflected off of things, but they were very weak on illuminating the actual road surface.

After looking at what was out there I ordered the GOS Racing harness for our 99-03 rigs (with 9007 bulbs).

Upgraded Headlight Harness for 94 to 04 Ford with 9007 Bulbs

Installation took me a couple of hours (setup, work, celebrate, clean up) total and was straight forward. I had to remove the intake/battery tray on the driver's side which was most of the work (I should have removed the passenger side battery too but I was too lazy and didn't want to reset all of my radio presets).

The lights are noticeably brighter and I can see the road now. All the lights work as they normally would (some harnesses have issues with fog light operation) and it was money well spent.

I'd also like to throw a plug out there for the folks at GOS Racing. I've had great experience with a lot of the companies selling stuff for our truck (ITP, Diesel Manor, Diesel Site) and GOS is no different. I ordered my harness and it sat in my garage for a bit before I pulled it out of the box. Two of the connectors were broken and I gave them a call (weeks after shipment) and they replaced it immediately without any hassle (express delivery no less). It's nice to do business with a customer oriented business and I will be looking to them for future purchases.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:28 AM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to here that there is another good company out there. With the extra brightness comes heat. How hot do the lenses get?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had that setup on this truck since the beginning of the year and cannot be any happier with the added brightness.

Andrew, the lens do not get any hotter than usual.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
A few years ago I was going to install Sylvania's in my truck. I decided to upgrade the harness (using an APC harness) for the lights before doing the bulb upgrade. The difference in brightness with just the harness upgrade was so great, that I never did do the Sylvania upgrade. I did do the headlight diode mod so that when I turn my headlights to high beam, the low beam stays on (I live way beyond the lights and la policia). When I put the high beams on the road is definitely lit up (both near and far).

Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 87 F-150 I6
Glad to here that there is another good company out there. With the extra brightness comes heat. How hot do the lenses get?
I've only had it for a few days, but after a drive for almost an hour into work I got out and felt the lenses and they didn't seem any hotter than normal.

Originally Posted by nlemerise
A few years ago I was going to install Sylvania's in my truck. I decided to upgrade the harness (using an APC harness) for the lights before doing the bulb upgrade. The difference in brightness with just the harness upgrade was so great, that I never did do the Sylvania upgrade. I did do the headlight diode mod so that when I turn my headlights to high beam, the low beam stays on (I live way beyond the lights and la policia). When I put the high beams on the road is definitely lit up (both near and far).
I was concerned about bulb life and heat with both high and low beams on (plus I live in a metropolitan area and rarely use my high beams anyway). To solve the lighting issue I also installed the 9005 bulbs in my fogs (vice the 899 bulbs) and that makes a big difference too. With the Ultrastars for my headlights (9007) and fogs (9005), combined with the GOS harness, I'm very happy now with my light pattern.