Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix a broken transmission lock?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:35 PM
mrblorry
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How to fix a broken transmission lock?

Hello everyone!
Sorry it's been so long since my last post; I kinda have neglected my old friend for a while with the rising gas prices and she's due for lots of expensive repairs.
This problem however, has rendered my truck dead in the driveway, and I don't even know what it is exactly that is wrong; hence my attempts at searching the threads for an answer have yielded no results!

The other day when trying to start the truck, I felt an extreme stiffness when trying to turn the key, then suddenly it spun all the way to the on position, never engaging the starter. The steering wheel unlocks, and you can start the engine by bridging the contacts on the starter solenoid, but, the transmission is locked in Park.

I have a 1990 F-150 with an AOD trans and a 302 if any of that matters. I removed the lock cylinder, and it appears to be undamaged, and I believe it would drive just fine if I could figure out how to unlock the shifter.

A neighbor told me that in 70s era trucks, there is a shaft that connects the lock cylinder with the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column, and he believes this shaft must also unlock the shifter.

Does anyone know about this shaft or linkage or whatever it may be, and is it fixable by someone with moderate knowledge (and minimal tools)? I've tried searching parts catalogs and my Haynes manual, but I don't even know what the darn thing is called!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for letting me back in after all this time!!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your ignition switch actuator has broken. You should be able to replace it yourself. Time consuming and a PITA. Do a search of this forum for ign. switch actuator and you should come across a couple of very good how tos. Briefly you need to pull the steering wheel, then the turn signal base plate and then the column shroud. This will allow you to remove the actuator. There is a "finger" on the actuator that locks the shift lever in Park, removing this will free the lever. The part is about $8.00 from memory. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 AM
mrblorry
Freshman User
Thanks K! I will look around. I think my neighbor may have a puller for the steering wheel. I assume that's necessary, but I'll search around for ignition switch actuator threads.

Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if ya got the tilt wheel it is a little more difficult

Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
If you have a tilt steering wheel you will need p/n e9tz3e715b. $12.08 list price. Check our website for your price. Dan.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:41 PM
mrblorry
Freshman User
Dan, I don't think I have a tilt wheel, so what is the part number for the straight column?

I can't believe I'm asking this, but if I had a tilt wheel, where would the lever be? The same as on an old GM car, just ahead of the turn signal? The reason I'm asking is because I'm used to tilt wheels in japanese cars, and they use levers under the column, and because my truck's column has an extra seam which reminds me of a tilt wheel seam. Does that make any sense at all?!?!

Based on what I remember from old GM-style tilt wheels, my column looks like it has the extra spacer, but there is no lever. Perhaps that is just for the telescoping feature the column has in a crash?

I hope that makes some sense. I think I'll go play my guitar for a while. Ahhh... That's better.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
on the 88 and 90 models-which i have worked on -the tilt mechanism is part of the turn signal-you need to pull or push? I think it's pull towards ya!if memory serves me right-you can tell i use tilt a lot huh!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 PM
mrblorry
Freshman User
You're right dude! I am such a moron. I knew that extra spacer looked like a tilt wheel, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the lever. Yup! Move the turn signal lever forward, and it tilts the wheel. I've had that damn truck for four years and didn't know it had a tilt wheel!! Pretty sad.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 845 Likes on 764 Posts
Don't feel bad mrblorry, Ihad my 86 for a few years before "discovering" the tilt. Don't forget to join the VA Chapter.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mrblorry
You're right dude! I am such a moron. I knew that extra spacer looked like a tilt wheel, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the lever. Yup! Move the turn signal lever forward, and it tilts the wheel. I've had that damn truck for four years and didn't know it had a tilt wheel!! Pretty sad.
only time I tilt mine is when I work under the dash -or remove the cluster

Old 11-16-2008, 08:47 PM
mrblorry
Freshman User
Well, it's all done. Replaced the actuator and she's back on the road. You guys may have seen the definitive instructions for repairing this part, but in case not, have a look at this link:

Ignition Actuator Replacement on an '85 w/tilt - FSB Forums

It's an '85 Bronco, and I have a '90 150, but they are essentially the same. It applies to all tilt-steering Ford trucks from '83 through '92 I think.

Thanks to my neighbor who has more tools than God, and more mechanic knowledge than me. We just printed off those photos and instructions, and five hours later, voila! I had my truck back. It's not really a two person job since only one person can sit in front of the steering wheel, but I gave my buddy moral support, I guess.

What kills me is why Ford uses pot metal for such a crucial part. Of course, the first one lasted 18 yrs, so I guess it's not so bad, but man! That little thing totally strands you if it breaks. I was lucky mine broke in my driveway, and that my neighbor's garage was downhill from my house, and that I have 4 wheel drive.

We just put the transfer case in neutral, started the engine, and pushed it into his garage! But if that happened in a parking lot, or how about down some muddy fire road, fifty miles from civilization! You are totally screwed. Your engine is in top shape, your tranny is perfect, you take great care of your truck, and bam! This dumb piece of pot metal ruins your day and your pocketbook!

Oh well. Stuff happens. Believe it or not, I hadn't been able to drive the truck in over three weeks, and I was starting to jones! I had to have my 150 fix! My daily driver is an '07 Mustang GT, but I love my old truck!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if that happened to me i would just block the wheels crawl under the truck pull the lever off the tranny and put the trans in drive climb back in and drive lol i drove my truck for 2 days without the shift linkage connected after i put the 3500 stall converter in lol

Search this Thread