1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

AM/FM tape/CD for '48F-1 Where to Look

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 AM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AM/FM tape/CD for '48F-1 Where to Look

Where would I find an AM/FM radio with cassette or CD to fit the dash on my 48 F-1?? A friend told me about seeing one at a show,but we do not know where to start. I have an orig. '49 that I was going to keep in the dash and put a modern radio in the overhead panel that is so popular and looks good. I'm doing some cool weather planning. the body is still off the frame so I don't need to tell you how far away the radio install is,just getting ideas together.
Thanks for any help, Mike

Old 10-26-2008, 01:31 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio

Easiest and cheapest, giving a almost unlimited choice of radio is to mount it in the glove box. If you have a remote CD, put it under the seat or tank area if the tank is moved. chuck

Old 10-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Birdman (do you have birds, I do. If so what kind..... )

Anyway, as mentioned a lot of folks put their stereos in the glove box.

Also, I built an upper service deck to hold the stereo, CDs, garage door opener, glasses, etc. I'll attach a picture.

But, a number of the parts houses - I know C&G and Dennis Carpenter - sell Modern radios/cassette/CD players made to fit into the stock dash openings on our trucks.

Here is the C&G link.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....hPage~cadefeiB

In the part number box, type in the following radios:

USA-1
USA-2
USA-3
USA-5
USA-6
KNW-501
KNW-601
KNW-801C

These are 12 volt radios and will need a power converter if you are still running 6V.

Here is the picture of how I mounted mine over head. I used quarter sawn red oak, cut to the dimensions of the bed planks then polished some stainless bed rails so it looks like a fixed up chunk out of the bed. Ran the power and antenna up the windshield stanchoin.

Works great!

J!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Hi Birdman (do you have birds, I do. If so what kind..... )

Anyway, as mentioned a lot of folks put their stereos in the glove box.

Also, I built an upper service deck to hold the stereo, CDs, garage door opener, glasses, etc. I'll attach a picture.

But, a number of the parts houses - I know C&G and Dennis Carpenter - sell Modern radios/cassette/CD players made to fit into the stock dash openings on our trucks.

Here is the C&G link.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....hPage~cadefeiB

In the part number box, type in the following radios:

USA-1
USA-2
USA-3
USA-5
USA-6
KNW-501
KNW-601
KNW-801C

These are 12 volt radios and will need a power converter if you are still running 6V. Their real catalogue has pictures....might request one!

Here is the picture of how I mounted mine over head. I used quarter sawn red oak, cut to the dimensions of the bed planks then polished some stainless bed rails so it looks like a fixed up chunk out of the bed. Ran the power and antenna up the windshield stanchoin.

Works great!

J!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Hey thanks Chuck and Julie. I have not seen the upper deck like yours. Have only seen the center mt. that goes front to rear. like your better, what is the blue things on the end? Sunglass holders? made from what. Would an old flip flop do?? Just kidding. Want to replace the glove box as orig. I have some lights salvaged from an old van for down lighting? may have to rethink that one. the directional ones in our Explorer are better
Thanks, Mike

Old 10-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by birdman1
Hey thanks Chuck and Julie. I have not seen the upper deck like yours. Have only seen the center mt. that goes front to rear. like your better, what is the blue things on the end? Sunglass holders? made from what. Would an old flip flop do?? Just kidding. Want to replace the glove box as orig. I have some lights salvaged from an old van for down lighting? may have to rethink that one. the directional ones in our Explorer are better
Thanks, Mike
Sun Glass holders!!!!!!!?????

Nah, those are the UPPER speakers. They are covered with metal grates and painted the color I'm going to use topaint my truck (along with white trim on the outside and gray on the inside). The lower speakers are in the kick panels. The two wood panels on the front of the stereo deck pop open and there is room for CDs on one side and girly junk on the other side of each one. I also mounted my Tach on it in the center. I want my dash to LOOK all original. Ah but there are lies there!

I won't cut holes in a dash or put new stuff on it. So when I wanted a Clock, I bought a car 51 which is pretty close to our original instruments, and mounted it in the ash tray. Then I bought a second ash tray to put in if I want to restore it to stock. I've added lots of little things but they are all done with original period correct parts. For example my control panel for the tilt hood and overdrive cable is a secont heater control know panel. I installed a glove box light from an early T-bird. Even my fog lights switch is a second headlight switch in the throttle cable position with a T on the **** instead of the L. Pretty tricky huh?!

Here's the clock picture pretty cool eh?

Note the blue with the gray...I haven't gotten to painting the rest of the dash yet - soon, waiting for my windshield stainless strip from the chrome shop. I also have a second glove box door without the logos so I can return that to stock as well. Notice the motor cover on the FreshAire heater. Those are impossible to find so I substituted a 47 Ford Car chrome horn button - fits perfect!

Look to the far lower left of the picture - see the heater control panel? Here's a picture of a second one of those I used for hood and overdrive cables- one to the right of the steering column and one to the left. My shift select indicator is actually a second column to dash bracket I ground down, mounted higher on the column, and put the plastic selector on:

I just love my gadgets, but they gotta look original! If you were to look at my interior you would think these might be all options installed by a dealer when the truck was new.... maybe!

J!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
birdman1
Elder User

Man. all those changes look great. I agree. I like some upgrades but they need to be tasteful, I'm a woodworker so I should be able to handle the upper deck, how did you mount this critter? I have a spotlight on my 49 F1 but may be easier to replace it than to close up the holes. Thanks for the ideas, I'll be checking out a lot of things this wk. I'm wife-sitting this wk. she had a back oper. 10-20 last Mon. so I need to stay home and help her. If she can last through a wk of my cooking,she'll cruise through the recovery just fine. Continued prayers please.
Mike

Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio mounting

I like the overhead cabinet. My height, if I hit a pothole or an accident, I would be eating wood and speaker. Maybe a front to back overhead in the center of the cab. I liked the idea of the glove box to hide radio. Mine is going to be a driver every day.So many decisions. Have a great day,chuck

Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by birdman1
Man. all those changes look great. I agree. I like some upgrades but they need to be tasteful, I'm a woodworker so I should be able to handle the upper deck, how did you mount this critter? I have a spotlight on my 49 F1 but may be easier to replace it than to close up the holes. Thanks for the ideas, I'll be checking out a lot of things this wk. I'm wife-sitting this wk. she had a back oper. 10-20 last Mon. so I need to stay home and help her. If she can last through a wk of my cooking,she'll cruise through the recovery just fine. Continued prayers please.
Mike
Hope the wife is feeling better!

I made two 1" wide sheet stainless steel "hooks" that are screwed into the wood, flat inside surface then hook onto (and behind) the lip of that smooth upper piece of sheet metal in the cab - the one the sun visors attach to. The edgee sitting on the door frames has a small piece of velcro. You have to put the bottom piece in the truck, then attach the face. I used stainless screws countersunk with finishing washers to attach the face.

I have two spotlights. I got one with the truck and I put the one in on the other side. If yo need help replacing that, or a parts list from Unity, let me know.

J!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Thanks for info. I haven't looked over the spotlight too much. it's in a 49 that is on the back burner for now. When is took hold of the inside **** is crushed in my hand. Like everyone else's rides, had been sitting up forever.It has orig. radio and a spotlight. I'm stripping out the cab for now on the 48 and lightly sandblasting and wire brushing starting with the area under the floor, once primed with paint or as a friend suggested put a bed liner paint under the froor, that suppose to be pretty tought stuff.Once the cab is primed I will put it back on frame and get the drive train in,(by my buddy) I want to here some kind of joyful noise out of that thing.
Thanks to both for input and the wife is doing better, still sore but better,( back surgery)
Thanks, Mike