Modular V10 (6.8l)  

I'm back, and with turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm back, and with turbo.

After a few weeks of not coming here anymore I realized I was just being dumb about stuff. Anyway, I'm back.

I'm beginning a remote mount turbo setup next week. I have a Garrett T-61 I'm going to employ and I'll be using a air-to-liquid intercooler. Tuning will be a snap with a a/f gage and my Diablo tuner. Let the fun begin!!!!

I'm looking at 600hp and 850 ft.lbs @ 8.7 lbs. with this turbo and IC setup.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:08 AM
10strokin
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

welcome back! and keep us posted and also, let us know if we can be of any assistance. good luck. matt

Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
After a few weeks of not coming here anymore I realized I was just being dumb about stuff. Anyway, I'm back.

I'm beginning a remote mount turbo setup next week. I have a Garrett T-61 I'm going to employ and I'll be using a air-to-liquid intercooler. Tuning will be a snap with a a/f gage and my Diablo tuner. Let the fun begin!!!!

Realistically, ma bey at the fly wheel with 12 to 15 bls of boost, As i recall your truck is high millage, I wouldn't get that aggressive, I wouldn't go more than 8 with the inter cooler.

What are you going to do for fuel, injectors, pump, fmu, boost a pump?

And 600 hp, your tranny wont stand a chance. RIP that little 4r100. lol

But if you pull this off you will be the only person on this forum with a turbo v10. sounds like a fun project.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:55 PM
BMF42
Freshman User
Man please post some Pics!! Sounds like its going to be a beast.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 PM
GT4point6
More Turbo
On the newer mustangs (05+), there is a system where the turbo's are under the rear bumper where the mufflers used to be. Then the boost tube runs all the way back to the engine. Ground clearance isn't that great but something like that under the truck would be a lot easier than under hood turbo(s).

I seen an 05 mustang with that setup, sounded different, made 5-6 PSI boost.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:50 PM
hydro_37
Elder User
Welcome back and wishing you great success on the project.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
[quote=GT4point6;6695104]On the newer mustangs (05+), there is a system where the turbo's are under the rear bumper where the mufflers used to be. Then the boost tube runs all the way back to the engine.

I've seen something like this in HOT ROD mag, the guy ran two turbos, they were each located just ahead of the rear axle on a 70's ish Le Mans. the boost lines then ran up to the engine obviously. Supposedly turbo lag wasn't any more than one would expect. Im not fully educated on V10's, is it possible to mount the turbo on top of the engine towards the rear? Similar to some of the 7.3's?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
spinella
Postmaster
dont know why you went away,but glad to see you want to share this project with everybody.recently you went from maybe have a blown motor to wanting to install a cummins to installing a turbo.i would really like to see you make the turbo work.good luck and take pictures along the way.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Skoda
Elder User
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal

A few things to say...

It's going to be SICK you ever see the supercharged V10 dually vid on you tube......

Were exactly are you planning on mounting the turbo? after the Y or further down?
you figure out what dimension's tubing your going to need?
What scavanger pump you going with?
What set up you going with for the BOV?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
I've been giving this some thought to for my 09 550. I would only go 5 pounds of boost though, so it would be reliable while towing.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GT4point6
On the newer mustangs (05+), there is a system where the turbo's are under the rear bumper where the mufflers used to be. Then the boost tube runs all the way back to the engine. Ground clearance isn't that great but something like that under the truck would be a lot easier than under hood turbo(s).

I seen an 05 mustang with that setup, sounded different, made 5-6 PSI boost.
I think the kit your talking about is made by STS. Trucks TV put one on there project Gen 1 Lightning.

No way I would install a turbo underneath a vehicle like that, especially a truck. The turbo system they used on the Gen 1 Lightning mounted about where the muffler did. The air filter clamped directly on the turbo. Whats to keep the turbo from getting soaked with water, dirt and other road grime? For a purely fair weather street machine mounting the turbo under the vehicle may work but I shure wouldn't do it. That setup shure wouldn't last on my truck.

Heavy Metal, sounds like a cool project. I find it unlikely however that you will be able to properly tune everything using only the adjustable parameters of the Diablosport tuner. I'm shure you will have to download a custom tune for your application.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
I have a friend with 2 STS systems, one on a 02 Camaro, which runs 9.50's, the other on a Trailblazer SS running low 12's with 5-6 psi. Both have been reliable, and the mount the air filter with a waterproof nylon prefilter, and a splash shield so that they don't suck water. This is good as long as your not crossing streams or driving through flooded viaducts.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
MeanV10: I have a built 4R100. Red eagle clutches and a TCI converter. I'm assuming I'll have no problems. I'm also not making a drag car out of the truck, I'm driving it normally.

FMU: No need with a flash tuner
Injectors: 36lb/hr ('95 thunderbird SC injectors) w/ mass air re-cal.
Fuel pump: Stock flows enough psi. if not, I'm sure I'll find a larger one.

Skoda:
1. Due to the size of the T61 (its a monster), I have to mount it downstream, in place of the muffler actually. I have made an aluminum "box" to shield it from the elements and have purchased a K&N with a waterproof "bag" that goes over the filter to keep it from ingesting water. All of the STS kits come with the bag.

2. I went with a Shureflo 8000 series pump. Everyone I've talked to runs this with no problem. A few of them have had it for over 30k miles without the pump failing. I know it's rated for 170 deg. but the materials its made of are rated for more temp. Seems this is the most commonly used pump.

3. Still researching the BOV.

4. Going with a Air-to-liquid intercooler with 3" pipe. These are really, really cheap on ebay. The pipe kits are around $50 and the coolers are $170+/- There isn't enough room up front for a FMIC so a A2L is required. I thought about a 6.0 IC but the radiators are different between the V10 and 6.0, same thing with the 7.3L IC.

5. Wastegate is a tial 44mm adjustable from 8-14psi. I have a Greddy turbo timer/ boost controller from a turbo 6.6L (408ci) mustang I used to have that I'll be using.
dkf: whan I said "snap" I meant my local diablo sport dealer doing the tuning. They offer it and are pretty reasonable priced.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:12 PM
meanv10
Elder User
sounds like you have done your homework.
Get alot of picks.

Oh and the "Im driving it normaly" that whole idea will last about 2 sec when your done.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Glad you're back. I thought maybe you fell off the face of the earth. Good luck with the project. Keep us posted...

Quick Reply: I'm back, and with turbo.