Modular V10 (6.8l)  

I'm back, and with turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:13 AM
happyhour
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
havnt been on here for a while I have some pics for ya of my turboed v-10 but the site wont let me post them anyone help me out this is what is says on the bottom of my page

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by happyhour
havnt been on here for a while I have some pics for ya of my turboed v-10 but the site wont let me post them anyone help me out this is what is says on the bottom of my page

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts
May want to "Create" a Gallery...and point to the pics there.

biz

Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
What did you do about tuning? Did you use new, higher psi injectors? Did you keep the stock fuel pump since its 210lph? I have so many questions.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 AM
happyhour
New User
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
What did you do about tuning? Did you use new, higher psi injectors? Did you keep the stock fuel pump since its 210lph? I have so many questions.

diablo tuner is what I use went with bigger new fuel injectors they are made by edge products cant remember the specs off of them but here is the numbers off of a injector 107961 m0002000 6053p05880 kept the stock fuel pump but run a kenny bell boostapump with it, also run a mafia on the mass air. Spark plugs I use the ngk V-power tr6 stock no. 4177 set them at .037 .
you should be fine with boost up to 7lbs on the stock base motor I would not recommend going any higher than that the glass pistons don't like det. and the top ring land will start to crush. also I would pull a boat load of timing on it as well and run a richer air fuel ratio .I ended up blowing the motor up last year had ping marks on four pistons and a big hole in one other, three valves where also warped not my funnest days oh well got to build the motor up to handle the boost then some of the things I have done was went with ross forged pistons, manley stainless valves, I would highly recommend running water meth on it snow performance to be exact I think they got the best setup out there IMO. I do run e-30 on it at 7lbs and premium but would not run any lesser octane anything over 3 lbs especially on the stock motor I am currently thinking of moving the turbo up into the engine bay on the driver side write now it is underneath the truck and I have had my share of problems with it as well, the scavenge pump has let me down once already so I lost comfort in them that is probably the biggest reason I would want to move it up to the engine bay. ya if you have any questions feel free to yell at me any time . not on here a lot especially now being snowmobile season got to get the sled ready . Once this site lets me post some pics out of my photo bucket I will put them on here . Also anything over 8lbs I would go with a bigger fuel lines and fuel rail and a 1/1 efi fuel reg. use the half inch line as a return and put in a 3/4 supply in .

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
BTW: happyhour, I noticed you are from SD. Is that South Dakota? You dont specify if state or like it stands for San Diego. Where at in SD? I used to like near Roy Lake for awhile.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
What did you use the MAFia for? The diablo tuner has MAF scaling, or did you use it for something else?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Those injectors are EDGE/Siemens 60 lb/hr. High Impedence. Holy crap! How much boost were you putting to this thing? Thats enough injector for over 800hp.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 AM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
I am also going to 36 lb injectors. Do I have to get the ECM burned for 36's?

I'm wondering if Diablosport can do that with the custom tuning they offer with my tuner.

Found out more about the fuel pressure regulator, it's really not what it is in so many words. The ECM controls the fuel pump speed to regulate pressure. So I have to use larger injectors or FMU. I refuse to use an FMU, I have access to 36lb injectors I'll use them, not put an expensive band-aid over the problem. Damn returnless fuel systems.
You have a return line on your fuel rail, thats what a POS FMU is put in, I dont know a lot about Diablo, I do know that the SCT Excalibur 2 would be able to tune the whole system, for injectors i paid 450 for 10, and make sure they plug into the harness before you try installing them, I had to cut and solder every individual harness. Also if that falls through V10RP got a set of ford factory racing 39lb injectors and they plugged right in.

Also what a Boost A Pump form kenne bell does is, incresase the voltage to the fuel pump, using a vacume switch, and It takes care of the bigger fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by happyhour
diablo tuner is what I use went with bigger new fuel injectors they are made by edge products cant remember the specs off of them but here is the numbers off of a injector 107961 m0002000 6053p05880 kept the stock fuel pump but run a kenny bell boostapump with it, also run a mafia on the mass air. Spark plugs I use the ngk V-power tr6 stock no. 4177 set them at .037 .
you should be fine with boost up to 7lbs on the stock base motor I would not recommend going any higher than that the glass pistons don't like det. and the top ring land will start to crush. also I would pull a boat load of timing on it as well and run a richer air fuel ratio .I ended up blowing the motor up last year had ping marks on four pistons and a big hole in one other, three valves where also warped not my funnest days oh well got to build the motor up to handle the boost then some of the things I have done was went with ross forged pistons, manley stainless valves, I would highly recommend running water meth on it snow performance to be exact I think they got the best setup out there IMO. I do run e-30 on it at 7lbs and premium but would not run any lesser octane anything over 3 lbs especially on the stock motor I am currently thinking of moving the turbo up into the engine bay on the driver side write now it is underneath the truck and I have had my share of problems with it as well, the scavenge pump has let me down once already so I lost comfort in them that is probably the biggest reason I would want to move it up to the engine bay. ya if you have any questions feel free to yell at me any time . not on here a lot especially now being snowmobile season got to get the sled ready . Once this site lets me post some pics out of my photo bucket I will put them on here . Also anything over 8lbs I would go with a bigger fuel lines and fuel rail and a 1/1 efi fuel reg. use the half inch line as a return and put in a 3/4 supply in .
What AFR's were you running when you ran into all that detonation?

With my 36lb at WOT and 6 to 7 psi, my truck is running a 10.2 AFR, there is a trail/cloud of unburnt fuel behind my truck. 36lb injectors should handle 8 psi IMO
X2 on the water meth, part number 20011, but i think he should tune it without first, it could be adding to many layers on the cake

Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Originally Posted by meanv10
You have a return line on your fuel rail, thats what a POS FMU is put in, I dont know a lot about Diablo, I do know that the SCT Excalibur 2 would be able to tune the whole system, for injectors i paid 450 for 10, and make sure they plug into the harness before you try installing them, I had to cut and solder every individual harness. Also if that falls through V10RP got a set of ford factory racing 39lb injectors and they plugged right in.

Also what a Boost A Pump form kenne bell does is, incresase the voltage to the fuel pump, using a vacume switch, and It takes care of the bigger fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.
Stock Thunderbird SC injectors are 36lb/hr. Rock auto has them for $277 for 10. They are the same impedance and I'm probably going with these to keep the cost down.

So a '99 V10 fuel rail has a return line? Why can't I just use a 4.6 adjustable fuel pressure regulator then? All of the factory replacement ones are the same between all the '99 Ford vehicles but the 4.6s and 5.4s of the same year have returnless fuel rails.

Won't the ECM tell the pump to put out more pressure as needed if the MAF is scaled correctly?

I think we all may be doing something wrong or bypassing something here or I am just confused. From what I've read; The ECM controls fuel pump output by readings it gets from MAF, TPS, O2 and the rate is determined by injector pulse width. Considering the pump is adequate (enough pressure+volume) for turbo use, and you have appropriate sized injectors, shouldn't you just have to scale the MAF so it wouldn't max out under boost, adjust fuel pressure (which the comp will do if your MAF and Inj. pulse width is correct) and adjust pulse width to keep your A/F ratio in the appropriate range?

Can some one explain this to me?

Where can I get a Kenne Bell or similar boost-a-pump?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:18 PM
V10RP
Junior User
I don't have the education to explain the technical stuff, but I can tell you that I used Ford racing 39lb. injectors(blue oval industries $290 for a set of 8) the other 2 I bought at the local ford dealer for $65 a piece, their factory 03 mustang cobra injectors. The boost-a-pump is available from kennebell for around 250 (kennebell.net). The MAFia is made by diablosport, the guy who tuned mine installed one because the MAF craps out around 4 grand, it piggybacks into the factory harness, this is a seriously cool project, can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 PM
V10RP
Junior User
Almost forgot, when mine was tuned he told me I was only using 75% of the duty cycle of the injectors at 6 psi.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Skoda
Elder User
-You can use a trans cooler as a heat exchanger but you might already have something on hand, any air conditioners lying around?

happy hour- your oil feed "T" might be something to look after, they have been known to break off flush with the block under heavy vibrations.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:02 PM
happyhour
New User
pics of the i/c installed

Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 PM
happyhour
New User
some more

Quick Reply: I'm back, and with turbo.