1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Parts Truck What should I save.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 PM
52 F3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts Truck What should I save.

I just got a '57 F-100 parts truck.
It has been setting out with the hood off for years and the engine has been full of water and rusted the pan out. I'm sure the internals are no good but wonder if there is anything I should try to save from the external parts.

I plan to use the frame and need to strip it down and get rid of anything that isn't useable. Storageroom is at a premium.

I did score a good windshield and gas tank. The box and cab are rough but too good junk.

What do you think.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi 52!!

Wow what a picture!

You know of course that "Murphy" Ford was in charge of all these old yard relics. As soon as you toss it, you will need it for some reason.

If storage wasn't at a premium, I would say save everything - for two reasons: First, if you need to buy a new or used replacement, the old one may have a part number on it; or, if you have to make (have made) a new one you have a pattern of the old. Also, there are core charges on some of this stuff - like that piece of rust that used to be a master cylinder.

But, with no storage, I would be sure to do two things: first write those parts numbers down on a master list, and do a little research about what actually can be purchased as a replacement (like this post - duh!) before you toss. Sometimes you can "dip" rusted parts and re build them. Even more so, some of the parts could probably be sold for some good $$$$ like the radiator. Body parts especially...hows the transmission?

Are you going to use the same type engine? Save the stupid stuff - pulleys, crankshaft bolt, generator bracket, heads can be rebuilt, intake manifold (unless you go aluminum) throttle linkage, shift linkage, distributor, etc.

Looks like quite a project!

Good luck,
Julie

Old 11-29-2008, 07:00 PM
52 F3
Elder User
I started dismantling it today.
I got the front clip off and the engine/trans out.
If I get energetic I might get the cab off tomorrow. Not much left holding it on.
If there is anything you might need check out the classifieds. I don't have room to store what I'm not planning to use.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Woodsman_30350
Elder User
The parts I didn't save are the ones I needed!!