Put Your Car Keys By Your Bed At Night

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Put Your Car Keys By Your Bed At Night

From; Put your car keys by your bed at night — RealTexasBlog.com

Here’s something interesting that might help folks in some urban areas as well as out in the sticks. I really like the tip about one friend’s elderly parents using the information.
Yes, I go to Wal-Mart with everybody else and to the grocery store with the wife. Sometimes I go out unsupervised and have to park in big parking lots. Being semi-absent minded, I often forget exactly where I park in big parking lots. It’s at these times I use the button on my car keys that turns on the horn. I hear the horn honk, then head that direction to find my car or pickup. It’s a handy little trick that must have been designed especially for me. Oh, you too?
But here’s another good use for that button on your car if you live in town or even if you don’t. Read on:
Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents your Dr’s office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across.
Put your car keys beside your bed at night.
If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue
to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.
This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:
It’s a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar or rapist won’t stick around… After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won’t want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there ….. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Svets96
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a good tip. Never thought of it like that before.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I leave my keys in the console,,, It wouldn't do any good to have my horn honk anyways,,, I'm way too far out in the boonies for anyone to hear it. Heck, nobody hears the gunshots when I go hunting at night for coons and coyotes!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 PM
shooter123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good tip, my bronco does not have that feature,but the wifes land rover does and I will pass on the info.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:55 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Good tip, my house alarm remote has a panic feature too.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:49 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that is a good tip,but my cars/truck don't have that feature. I do sleep with my keys/wallet in my bedroom though because if somebody breaks in and doesn't wake me up,they won't be stealing my vehicles. of course they couldn't steal the truck anyhow unless they push it down the street because if they start it,i would know because it is loud and rattles the windows!!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"Heck, nobody hears the gunshots when I go hunting at night for coons and coyotes!!! "

It would be a shame to scare off "critters" so they can come back later to steal your "livestock" when you can quietly load and lock instead.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
thats a great idea...reps

Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Great idea, but will the panic button work from inside the house and your bedroom? I'd want to give it a test run before banking on it.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:07 AM
rsdjcarter
Elder User
I have a better solution BIG LOUD DOGS! works every time.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:44 AM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I hear noises around my place I push the panic button on my GLOCK burglar alarm.

Never fails to clear out the problem for miles around

Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
That is a very good tip.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 AM
ranger1999 Bob
Posting Guru
in nyc the only thing it will do is inspire a neighbor to call the cops... they in turn will ticket your car for making too much noise... and if youre lucky the detectives may put 2 +2 together when they are investigating your homicide

Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Good tip, but I see the County making me get an alarm permit on those alarms too, and taxing me another way. While the Sherriff Dept. is busy patrolling shopping centers, checking doors after hours, because that's the deal the commissioners made with the stores. That have another deal where they pay no property tax on their parking lots.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by Snowbunny
Heck, nobody hears the gunshots
Add a shovel to the mix and no ones gonna know nuttin

Quick Reply: Put Your Car Keys By Your Bed At Night