Notices

Boy I wish I wou have done Before & After Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boy I wish I wou have done Before & After Pics

After an 11 hour clean up job last Saturday, I really wish I would have taken some before and after pics of the Explorer.

It's been sitting in the backyard since April because I was finishing the basement and needed a place to put all the stuff from down there. Finally got it done and everything moved back down there, and I finally got to move the Explorer back in.

Man, I had forgot what sprinklers would do to a car...

After the fisrt wash, I could still see all the water spots.
Gave it another bath, except this time I used Bon Ami to help all over.
Next came a coat of polish with Mequiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. Still didn't get it all.
Clay bar session. Man it does a great job, but it's a PITA...
Another coat of polish to clean up after the clay bar. Still didn't get all of it.
Another clay bar session.
One more coat of polish.
Two coats of Mequiars Gold Class wax.
Mothers wheel cleaner.
Stoner's More Shine on the rubber and engine bay.
0000 #4 steel wool on the windows and a coat of wax on all the glass. - I hate this part worse than clay barring.

By this time, I was running out of juice. I still need to clean the undercarriage, but overall, it's looking good! This weekend I'm doing a dyno day and cruise with the local Mustang guys, so hopefully I'll be able to pop a couple of pics then.

It's all worth the work and pain to really see your ride shine, but the entire time you are thinking to yourself - "You idiot. Don't ever let this thing get like this again..."

Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

I have uset the LIQUID clay bar and it works much easier than the original solid bar!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:21 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by UTfball68
Kinda off topic but...do you know how long a clay bar lasts, or when you should put it to rest so you're not just rubbing the contaminants back into the paint?
I've had them last 4 or 5 times on a clean car and have gone through two bars on one job before. It jsut depends on how bad it is and how much you get all over one.

Originally Posted by Supercab
I have uset the LIQUID clay bar and it works much easier than the original solid bar!
I tried the liquid and it does ok, but I've found the bar really get off the junk. The liquid acted more like a polish/cleaner for me. I've had numerous tell me it works great, but I ended up having to break the bar out for mine (it was bad...).

Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 AM
scarletlewis
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh my... That would have been a great feeling if you've taken some photos. What you did was like a big accomplishment already. Considering that your ride hasn't been cleaned for quite a long time.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 AM
peterbilttrucker
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've let my truck get out of hand lately (my car too for that matter), I'm not looking forward to the snow either (I don't get to park in a garage). There's a car show in April I'm planning on registering for, but it'll be a huge chore to get it clean inside and out if it doesn't warm up enough for me to clean it a couple times in advance. Feels real good to step back and look at the ride after an entire day of cleaning on it though!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:04 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by peterbilttrucker
I've let my truck get out of hand lately (my car too for that matter), I'm not looking forward to the snow either (I don't get to park in a garage). There's a car show in April I'm planning on registering for, but it'll be a huge chore to get it clean inside and out if it doesn't warm up enough for me to clean it a couple times in advance. Feels real good to step back and look at the ride after an entire day of cleaning on it though!

I'm not looking forward to the snow either! My Explorer gets to sit inside with my wife's Escape, but my Sport Trac has to sit outside...

Where in Utah are you and what show are you thinking about registering for in April?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by UTfball68
Well how are you supposed to KNOW when you shouldn't use a claybar anymore? By the way it looks, or how much contamination is in it, or is 4-5 uses just a general rule of thumb?

Sorry UT - missed your post... It really depends on how bad the inital cleaning is. I've gotten 5-7 out of one bar before - and I've also used two bars on one car also. It really just depends on how much is on the clay. Most of the time you can look at a bar and really tell when it is time to replace it. The problem most people run into is that they think they can get 'one more' out of it. They end up rubbing contaminants into their paint which makes for as big of a mess as you are trying to clean...