6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Stalled and will not start

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:09 PM
wizard
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalled and will not start

I have a 2003 f250 6.0l with only 57,000 miles. Since I purchased it new in 2003 I have had almost no problems with it at all. I have always kept up with filter/fluid changes and changed them before it was required and always drained the water/fuel separator at least once a month so the water in fuel light has never come on in the past.

A few days ago the water in fuel light came on so I immediately pulled into a parking lot and drained the water/fuel separator. When I restarted it the light was out. A day later it came on again while I was out of town and I did the same thing and the light went out again and I made it home without any issues. I have 2 other vehicles and I drive all three to keep the batteries charged so I did not drive my truck for a couple of days. Since my truck was on empty (almost) when i parked it I decided to go fill it up. On the way to fill it up the water in fuel light came back on. After I got to the station I filled it up with fresh diesel and drained the water/fuel separator again. Later that day I had to go on a short trip and while going to my destination the water in fuel light came on again so I stopped at an oreilly auto parts store and drained the water/fuel separator again. While I was there I went inside and purchased a diesel fuel additive (forget the brand but I know for a fact it was for diesels) that was supposed to clean injectors and also said it would completely disperse any water in the fuel. Well, when I got back on the road after adding the additive it only made it a mile or so when the truck completely shut down and would not start again. I had it towed back to my house and changed the fuel filters to see if maybe I had a filter problem. 1st thing I noticed when changing the filters was that there was no fuel at the front engine mounted filter. Then when I changed the lower filter below the driver's door it also looked "dry as a bone." I can hear the pump "cycle" when the key is turned on but just do not seem to be getting any fuel at all. I did check to see if the fuel cutoff switch (inertia) was thrown and it looked good. Also checked all the fuses and they looked good. Other then the batteries giving out pretty quick when trying to start the truck I don't know what it could be. Anyone have any ideas? I don't have alot of spare money laying around since Hurricane IKE pretty much wiped my house out so I'm hoping it is something simple and inexpensive to fix. Thank You in advance for any suggestions.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
bump. Hopefully one of the techs will be by shortly

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you have the filter on the engine out turn the key on and off a few times to let the fuel pump cycle. If you still don't get any fuel, then I'd start by dropping the tank and checking the fuel lines and pump.

Was the fuel station you filled up prior to having these issues a station you've filled up at before? Could have been some old or dirty fuel.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
wizard
Freshman User
Originally Posted by riggz
When you have the filter on the engine out turn the key on and off a few times to let the fuel pump cycle. If you still don't get any fuel, then I'd start by dropping the tank and checking the fuel lines and pump.

Was the fuel station you filled up prior to having these issues a station you've filled up at before? Could have been some old or dirty fuel.

I cycled the fuel pump by turning the key on and off many times. Still got no fuel. Except when I'm out of town I always refuel at the same station and have never had any issues with their fuel and since I was getting the water in fuel light before I filled up and the tank was on empty I don't think that station had bad fuel.

I'll see about checking the things you suggested on my next off day.

With the 6.0l fords is their a pump inside the tank?

Also, is there any chance I might have done any damage to the engine by trying to crank it before I knew there was no fuel?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
wizard
Freshman User
1 more question if anyone has the answer....is it difficult to drop the fuel tank to check it?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
It is easier to lift the bed.Search harpoon mod someone did a great write up a while back.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:11 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wizard
I cycled the fuel pump by turning the key on and off many times. Still got no fuel. Except when I'm out of town I always refuel at the same station and have never had any issues with their fuel and since I was getting the water in fuel light before I filled up and the tank was on empty I don't think that station had bad fuel.

I'll see about checking the things you suggested on my next off day.

With the 6.0l fords is their a pump inside the tank?

Also, is there any chance I might have done any damage to the engine by trying to crank it before I knew there was no fuel?

Thanks
First, no there is no fuel pump inthe tank. The fuel pump is located at the lower filter. It is a fuel pump/filter/heater combination.

Second, I would turn the key on and crawl under the truck and be sure the fuel pump is running. If not, check electrical connections and fuse.

Third, I would disconnect the fuel supply line to the filter/pump assembly and see if any fuel runs out of the line. If not, then remove the fuel tank cap and blow air back through the fuel line until you can hear the fuel bubbling in the tank. Fuel then should run out of the supply line at the pump. If that happens you have debris blocking the fuel tank fuel pickup and will need to remove the tank and clean.

Finally, if fuel runs out of the fuel line when you disconnect it from the fuel pump/filter assembly, then you have a fuel pump problem. The fuel pump may have debris at the fuel line connection. Maybe some compressed air might remove the debris. If you are mechanicaly inclined, you may want to remove the fuel pump/filter assembly, disassemble the uint and check and clean the unit or buy a new pump and install it.

Hope this helps!

DSMMH

Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 PM
wizard
Freshman User
Thank You for all of the replies...I will try all of your suggestions on my next off day (which should be tomorrow or the next day) and will post my results...also going to remain calm and try not to get frustrated if something doesn't seem to work because after all...it is a FORD so it will run again.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM
wizard
Freshman User
ok...heres what I've got now. I disconnected the fuel line from the tank and I'm getting fuel up to the lower filter. It just will not go past the lower filter now matter what I do. Cycling the key does nothing. I even changed the fuel filter out a second time with a motorcraft one to make sure it was not the problem (since i had one of the cheaper ones in there while trying to fix this problem). Would this most likely mean that I have a bad fuel pump? If so does anyone know where I could order a new one for a decent price? Also, even though I keep putting a full charge on the batteries they seem to run down pretty quickly just from cycling the key and trying to start a few of times. If there is a problem with the batteries being bad could that be part of my problem?

Thanks...

Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 PM
wizard
Freshman User
update

Today I checked everything out again starting with step 1 just to make sure that I did not miss anything. Also went ahead and did a visual and "touch" check of all the wires/harness under the hood to see if any appeared to be damaged. Everything appeared to be good.

I called the only Ford dealership I really trust the other day and asked one of the techs about it and he told me that in his opinion although it could be something else it is most likely the fuel pump that is the problem. He said he had changed out 11 fuel pumps on other trucks in my area since Hurricane IKE came through. According to him it would run $600-$700 for them to change out the pump or they could diagnose it for $75.

I found a brand new in the box motorcraft pump with filter assembly for $160.00 (including shipping) from an individual online.

The part number is: 6C3Z-9G282-AA

Is this the correct part for my truck and was this a good price for it?

I went ahead and took a chance and ordered it because I did not want to lose it if it is the correct part for my truck.

Thanks....Darrell

Old 11-16-2008, 03:52 PM
wizard
Freshman User
Yes...yes...yes

just got around to getting the new pump/water separator put on today...and after I cycled the key 5 or 6 times to prime it....I turned the key and all of a sudden the 6.0 started right up... I still have about "20 million" trips to make to pick up supplies to finish the repairs Hurricane IKE caused to my home so the sound of that diesel running is music to my ears....

Thank You ALL once again for all of your help.....I now know that I could have gotten it towed to the dealer and fixed for a total cost of around $650-$850 but your support and ideas gave me the courage to order the parts and the end cost was $250 total (including the tow home when it broke down.) Every dollar I can save right now to put back into my damaged home helps right now (got nothing from FEMA or anyone else) and your help was GREATLY appreciated.