Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM
New User

PiePuncher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel rail problem and removal?

I recently replaced my HPOP and truck was running well. Even more recent, my turbo quit working and I noticed Diesel dripping down the back of my motor. I took off the valve cover and found the stainless braided hose that connects the fuel rail to the motor to be leaking on both ends. In other words, My fuel pressure is low and my oil is being thinned by the diesel. I also noticed white gummy oil on the inside surface of the valve cover but not all over the rockers. I drained the oil to make sure there is no head gasket leak and there was no water in the oil pan or in the oil. How could the white film have gotten on the valve cover? Also, how do you remove the stainless hose that runs from the fuel rail? All this work is getting old and I can use all the help I can get to make the work as easy as possible. This truck is not only breaking my bank, it is also breaking me. my truck is an 03 with 110,000 miles on it. I purchased the truck at around 80k. Never had any problems until one day my HPOP just gave up on me. The fuel rail seems like a very easy fix, just need to know how to remove the hose. Thanks

Keith
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM
New User

Anyone know how to remove the braided fuel line that runs from the head to the fuel rail? Do I need a special tool to remove it? Some kind of high pressure fuel line removal tool for ford?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Elder User

dcaddi2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dcaddi2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePuncher View Post
Anyone know how to remove the braided fuel line that runs from the head to the fuel rail? Do I need a special tool to remove it? Some kind of high pressure fuel line removal tool for ford?
Well, it's not a fuel, it's a high pressure oil rail to deliver the oil to the injectors to fire. In the 6.0 the "fuel rail" is in the heads. If you have fuel at that rail or around the rocker arms, i would guess it's the O rings on the injector/s.
To remove the pipe/hose, you have to open the fitting. A special tool would be recommended to do it, but you can create something. The main thing is you have to move the plastic ring towards to the hose side, and you have to do it evenly to make sure it opens, but I doubt that this will happen without taking off the oil rail.
By the way, you probably won't have any water in the oil if you have hg failure. I just did my head stud job a few month ago, almost all of the cylinders were leaking in to each other, puking coolant big time, but not a drop of coolant in the oil.
'03 F250 6.0 Lariat CC LB FX4, 4" Turboback Stainless Exh., ARP Studs, EGR Delete, Banks High Ram Intake/ stock filter, SCT X3 Innovative Custom Xtreme Tunes , CCV reroute, Dieselsite Coolant filter, Fumoto valve, High Idle Mod, Autometer Boost, EGT, Fuel Press. gauges, Zoodad Mod, Suncoast 5R110 ,
'57 Jeep CJ5 Willys Lots of Mods
'79 Pontiac Trans am
Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
New User

I had not worked on diesel until I replaced my HPOP. The fitting that is leaking is the one that is on the rail.It is the rail that is directly under my valve cover on the passenger side of the truck. It appears the rail is held on by 8 small bolts. Should I head to ford dealer to pick up o ring for injectors or is there a better means of getting them? Also, on the braided hose, is it o rings on the hose that are bad or o rings on the rail that are bad? I will know for sure tomorrow but any information is appreciated.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Elder User

dcaddi2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dcaddi2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_027.jpg

This is your fuel ...

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_040.jpg

and this is your high pressure oil system. If you are leaking at the oil line than that can't be fuel. You couldn't even see it's leaking, only if you run your engine and you have a visual on it. But if you do, that would mean you have a major HP oil leak, and your injectors wouldn't fire. So that makes me think ( because mentioned that you know, see that you leaking fuel ) that you have some damaged injector O ring, that's why the fuel leaks back to the valve cover.
In this situation you have to pinpoint which injector leaking, pull it and I think you end up faster if you just get the O ring at the dealer...
'03 F250 6.0 Lariat CC LB FX4, 4" Turboback Stainless Exh., ARP Studs, EGR Delete, Banks High Ram Intake/ stock filter, SCT X3 Innovative Custom Xtreme Tunes , CCV reroute, Dieselsite Coolant filter, Fumoto valve, High Idle Mod, Autometer Boost, EGT, Fuel Press. gauges, Zoodad Mod, Suncoast 5R110 ,
'57 Jeep CJ5 Willys Lots of Mods
'79 Pontiac Trans am
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1997, 2004, 60, f350, ford, fuel, high, leak, line, liter, oil, powerstroke, pressure, rail, removal, removing