Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Senior User

cgah04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
truck camper?

does anyone have a truck camper for the bed? im looking to get one for the beach, make it easier to stay on the beach over night..
Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Posting Guru

wb6anp has a good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a good reputation on FTE.
How about one like this, it is on a ford truck chassis
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Senior User

haha if it could drive on the beach and i had the extra money for a 150tho dollar rolling house wouldnt be a problem
Old 10-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Senior User

yea those are pretty nice.. the popup ones.. anyone have these?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Senior User

98greensi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgah04 View Post
yea those are pretty nice.. the popup ones.. anyone have these?
my old man had one missed it so he bought another one recently. he hauls it around on his 79 ranger (f150 with the camper speacial).the popup has all the features of a fullsize sleeping for 4, stove fridge sink, cuboards furnace etc, it's light weight and does not catch the wind at all due to being so low. he has never had a problem with the canvas or the vynil windows. it's actually pretty worm in there. in the top bunk you have approxmently 3 feet or so hight wise.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior User

Sorry for briniging up the old post. but i hauled my dads camper for him today, and though i'd share some pics, (for cgah04) the camper is a jayco j series 8' on my 5.5screw. The truck did fine but looked funny. the front end with a leveling kit and the *** end squitting, she was bulldogging but it was only a 20 minute drive so no big deal here's the pics...

Ps the top of the box rails measure 22" and the camper only has 20 1/4" so we had it blocked up with some 2x4's the ratchet straps were only a temp thing, and was able to use the proper hold downs in the rear.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Senior User

thanks for the pics.. ive been looking around for a camper still cant find a decent used one.. new is to much for me.. hopefully ill find one.. im gona throw a set of air bags on there so it should look leveled when driving..
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
First of all, remember those pics are from a truck with a leveling kit installed, which raises the front end 2". The reason these trucks have a rake from the factory is so that when they are loaded, as shown with the camper, the front end it not in the air.

Most truck campers I can find that will work on a 1/2 ton truck are about 1500 lbs, which shouldn't cause you to sag much in the rear. Especially considering the overhang most have over the cab actually shifts a good amount of the weight on the front axle.

Unless you plan on towing something heavy, in addition to your truck camper, air bags shouldn't be necessary.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior User

i have a front leveling kit so the bags would then hold me level. correct?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
With a front leveling kit, you would need air bags to keep it level, under most ANY load.

The downside to all of this is that with a leveling kit, you need to effectively stiffen the rear springs immensely to maintain the "level" look...and the only good way to do that is with airbags....Which means that it's gonna ride like crap...

This is why our -150s ride so much better than an SD, because it's only sprung for an appropriate amount of weight for a half ton, instead of the massive springs required to support the truck and ~4,000 lb payload of an SD. With your leveling kit, you have no room for the suspension to give under the load without causing the truck to squat in the back....

This is why I leave the suspension alone!

Currently truckless.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Junior User

rouschfan is starting off with a positive reputation.
98greensi what was the weight of that Jayco ?? I am wanting to get a slide in also, so that i can pull my boat when i go camping. I have an 05 S/C with a 6'6" bed. Thank's
Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouschfan View Post
98greensi what was the weight of that Jayco ?? I am wanting to get a slide in also, so that i can pull my boat when i go camping. I have an 05 S/C with a 6'6" bed. Thank's
sorry for the slow reply, this one weighs 1460lbs with fridge,stove heater etc it's the 8' model
Old 11-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Junior User

rouschfan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank's 98greensi,,,, I was looking at one and the weight was rated at 1630 lbs,, the reason i was asking was it look's as though you are squatting pretty good, and the one on your truck is the pop up style and the one I was looking at isn't,, I regularly haul a 220 gallon water tank in mine which equal's out to 1760 lbs @ 8 lbs a gallon. Do you guy's think it would be a problem ( the camper )?? I will also be pulling a 16' bass boat, is this to much for an F150 ? I am debating as whether or not to install airbag's on the rear. Oh,, My truck is an 05 F150 extended cab ( not super cab as i originally stated ) FX4 with a leveling kit and the 5.4 engine. Thank's
Old 11-08-2008, 07:23 AM

TomB985
rouschfan, Supercab IS the extended cab, not to be confused with the super crew, which is a crew cab.....

Remember when you look at the pictures 98greensi posted, that he had an 8' bed model, with a 5.5' bed carrying it. This meant that there was a LOT of weight behind the rear axle, which effectively transfers weight OFF the front, and puts it on the rear, which explains why he was sagging so much.

However, one of the problems he had is somethig you're going to have to deal with as well. Your front levelling kit means that it's going to be very difficult to level the truck with any kind of load on it, as the front end is already 2" higher than it's supposed to be.

If you weren't towing a boat, with a leveling kit, you probably wouldn't need the air bags. But, with the setup you're talking about, I think they'd be a big help.

Currently truckless.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:23 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150