Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap question.

Old 08-15-1999, 08:28 AM
Jim_1
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine swap question.

I have an '89 Mustang 302 I want to mate with an '84 ford t-18 tranny. I have the flywheel from the engine and the bellhousing from the truck. I need to know what the flywheel diameter and toothcount was for an '84 ford f250 with a t-18 tranny. I am not sure what engine was in the truck. If the stock engine for this truck is a 351, did that engine require a larger flywheel than the 302?

Old 08-16-1999, 10:21 AM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap question.

I am pretty sure the diameters are the same for both engines,but,I have read that the weighting is different for some small blocks depending on the year of the crankshaft as well as the harmonic balancer.You will need the spacer plate that goes between the engine and the trans. for the manual trans. you are using. By the way,I don't think the T-18 is synchronized in 1st gear,so, you will have to come to a complete stop to get into first.And if it's got a granny first,it's usually tough to get it into first without "playing" with the clutch.This is OK for a truck but you might want to think it over for a Mustang.
Phillip

Old 08-18-1999, 08:11 PM
jim
New User
Engine swap question.

I am installing the mustange engine and truck tranny in a Jeep Wrangler. I figure I'll hav ethe offroad prowess of the Jeep and a bullet proof drive train of a ford.

Old 08-18-1999, 10:38 PM
H8monday
Senior User
Engine swap question.

I have been considering a 302HO mustang motor for my 89 Wrangler.I was planning on a built T-5 tranny and an Atlas II transfer case. The T-18 will be fairly easy to adapt to the 302,Advanced Adapters has complete Kits for the mating.If your T-18 has a 28 spline output shaft it will join straight to a Dana 20 Transfer Case.If it has a 31 spline output it will join to a NP 205 or 208,or any of the newer Borg Warner transfer cases.One of the recent 4x4 mags just had an article on Swapping in a Ford Mustang 302 Crate motor into a YJ Wrangler.Not quite the direction Ive been looking,but it was an impressive project. I recently installed A Dana 44 front,and am almost finished with the mods for a Ford 9" rear.Im hoping to be complete for a Labor Day trip on the Dusy Ersham Trail in the Sierras.
Sorry to get off the Ford Truck Topic. Later,
Jeff

Old 08-20-1999, 08:05 PM
Jim_1
Junior User
Engine swap question.

I have installed the advance adapters conversion to both my t-18 tranny and np231. I purchased engine mounts from AA also. The engine tranny and xcase are in the Jeep, but too late I noticed the spacer plate did not mate up with the lower portion of the bell housing. I have used the Mustange flywheel and truck tranny with it's stock bellousing. I want to be sure that with the correct spacer and a truck starter all will mesh correctly.
I have installed a Rubicon Express spring over lift and a 1 inch body lift. I want to upgrade the axles eventually.

Old 08-21-1999, 11:54 PM
H8monday
Senior User
Engine swap question.

I took a little different path than you,but probably the same direction.The type of wheelin I do in the jeep,(heavy rock crawling)I didnt beleive the the Dana 30 and 35 could handle a 302 swap.The 4 banger still has plenty of pep and a load of torque,and its been very reliable. I have an F-250 with a supercgarged 460 and 8" of lift. I use it for Competetive Mud Bogging. The one thing I learned durring the build up,is that a substantialy stronger motor than your drive train was designed for, will seek out and destroy weak components. Sounds like you have a great project though,Im sure your new 302 will expedite some axle upgrades or swaps. On another note Terraflex makes a 4:1 Low range conversion for the 231,(it uses 6 planetary gears instead of 3 and has a super strong out put shaft),that and a Currie Enterprises tail shaft conversion,new drive shaft and U-Joints. And the NP 231 becomes about 200 percent stronger than stock. i am currently running 4.56 gears and with the 4:1 low it really crawls,they also produce a conversion to allow shifting from 4 low to 2 low on the fly,this is esentialy the affect as having a dual stick transfer case.
E-mail me with any info on your Jeep project.
super@sierratel.com
Later,
Jeff

Old 09-26-1999, 07:19 AM
Jim_1
Junior User
Engine swap question.

I am preparing to pull the engine and tranny to intall the dust shield. I still do not kow if the mustang fly whell will mate up with the t-18 truck starter. I am using the truck bellhousing, but would like to know the diameter of the truck flywheel. Is it 10.5"? Help!!

Old 09-27-1999, 08:15 AM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Engine swap question.

For the starter,just make sure you have a manual trans. starter.For the flywheel,all trucks and most cars used the larger diameter flywheel{14.23"}after 1973.So far,everything interchanges.For the clutch,the drilling and tappings of the flywheel will dictate what size clutch and pressure plate to use.Possibly the flywheel you have may allow 2 sizes because of multiple holes around the edges.You may have to run a pressure plate from a car and a disc from a truck to get the right combo of size and spline count.A good parts guy will provide you with availability by looking and studying the clutch book {this will allow more items to be seen at one time},if not let me know.I'll provide answers and part #,s.
Phillip

Old 09-27-1999, 06:19 PM
jim
New User
Engine swap question.

*I have the Mustang flywheel and LUK Mustang Clutch kit.
*I have the hydraulic external slave cylinder system (new from the dealer), bellhousing for an '84 Ford truck.
*Classic tube is going to custom build the clutch cable.
*I am looking for a Manual Tranny starter as you suggested.
I will pull the engine and tranny to do this. I just don't want to leave any rocks unturned. I plan on asking a local junkyard for a flywheel and clutch from a ford truck with a 302. I want to get measurements for comparison.
I purchased the clutch from "Parts Mike" on the net. He hasn't steered me wrong yet, but to answer the question I have posed, he wanted a tooth count from the flywheel. I need to pull the engine first. I hope to have all I need in hand prior to that step. I have to rent the cherry picker and don't want it any longer than absolutely necessary.

Old 09-28-1999, 08:52 AM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Engine swap question.

Jim,I'm starting to lose it here. Do you already have the engine in the Jeep yet? Are you just pulling it to install the shield between the engine and trans? Have you pulled the Mustang motor yet? Please advise as to where you are,I might be able to save you some work!!!
Phillip

Old 09-28-1999, 08:50 PM
jim
New User
Engine swap question.

I have the engine, t-18 and NP231 installed in my '88 YJ. The wiring harness is 50% set-up. When I mated the tranny to the engine, I did so on the floor, because I could not mate the two with the engine in the Jeep. With the engine on the floor, I failed to notice the ill-fitting dust cover until the installation was complete.
Aside from some choice words and a few thrown tools, I feel I survived the screw up very well.

Old 10-16-1999, 06:39 PM
Jim_1
Junior User
Engine swap question.

I found the rear engine cover plant. The 300 I-6 has the same traany options as the 302 in the truck. I purchased the starter for the truck, manual transmission. The engine pull will now begin.
I have noticed a possible clearance issue with the driver side header and the external slave for my clutch. The engine is originally from a mustang. I am wondering if the truck headers would drop more vertically and farther belo the engine than the mustang's?

Old 11-23-1999, 08:40 PM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine swap question.

Old 11-25-1999, 08:24 PM
Jim Roberts
Engine swap question.

The preious questions I have asked in this series may have just been answered. I was worried about using the flywheel that came with my '89 Mustang 302 with the manual ford truck t-18 tranny. It appears that the flywheel (a 157 tooth, 13 5/8 in diameter) will not mesh with the truck starter using the correct rear engine cover plate. I will be foraging for a flywheel that will be in the the 14.23" diameter range. I hope the 10 1/2" clutch assembly I have will work with the flywheel I find.
I am looking for advice on emissions legal headers for this engine. The stock Mustang headers create a clearance problem with the external slave cylinder.